Thread: Want to buy can, but possibly moving out of state in ~8 months?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Want to buy can, but possibly moving out of state in ~8 months?

I'm considering picking up my first NFA item (Sandman K), but my lease is up this August, and I might be moving out of state. It will depend on lots of factors, but it is a real possibility. Especially because I live in MD and I am itching to get out, probably to VA.

So what happens if my stamps don't come back before August? Will I have to file for a new stamp at a new FFL in my new state of residence, which means another $200 and the wait period starts all over again?

I am planning on filing as an individual. But would a trust help me in the above mentioned scenario? What if I had a close/trusted friend who is a MD resident on the trust? Could he take possession of the can once the stamp is approved? And then take him off the trust eventually?

I've got the cash and I want to get the NFA countdown started, I just don't want to waste a bunch of money and create massive headaches in the future. Advice?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    So what happens if my stamps don't come back before August? Will I have to file for a new stamp at a new FFL in my new state of residence, which means another $200 and the wait period starts all over again?
    yep. Cancel the first one. Form 3 to Dealer in new state. File new Form 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    I am planning on filing as an individual. But would a trust help me in the above mentioned scenario? What if I had a close/trusted friend who is a MD resident on the trust? Could he take possession of the can once the stamp is approved? And then take him off the trust eventually?
    That would work. As long as you have an RP in the state where the Form 4 was filed, that person could pick up the suppressor and fill out the 4473.

I'd say if you know you have 8 months, odds are pretty good that an individual submission would be approved.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post

That would work. As long as you have an RP in the state where the Form 4 was filed, that person could pick up the suppressor and fill out the 4473.
    Thanks for the advice. Just to be clear, what's an RP?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)