Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for AR in 7.62x39

Feedback Score

Looking for AR in 7.62x39

I know this subject has probably been discussed, but a search turned up zilch. I’ve been thinking about an AR in 7.62x39 off and on for some time. Not really familiar with the manufactures. I am Not interesting in building or matching uppers with lowers. I want something ready out of the box. I’m looking at some by Windham Weaponry and I think PSA makes some. Who all makes an AR in 7.62x39 and what are your opinions on them.

I own an AK and don’t want another one nor am I interested in selling it. It’s a “you can pry it from my cold dead hands” firearm that I’ve had for a few years. I also own a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39. Really looking at the AR platform.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    CMMG MK47 Mutant looks to be the best option available from the research I did a while ago, Mrgunsngear has a review. I believe the Sig MCX is supposed to have a variant in that caliber that they've been working on for a while. Another close option worth the look would be the Galil ACE.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Turnkey 7.62x39 AR? Check out PWS.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Check out the Gilboa 7.62x39. In use by IDF. Uses AK mags
    Last edited by signal4l; 10-19-17 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Considered the Faxon ARAK?

Feedback Score
    It's funny you should ask. I put another 150rds through my 7.62x39 Windham SRC. The only issue that I've had with the rifle is a few failures to fire when shooting Russian ammo. I installed a Wolff extra power hammer spring and that problem was solved. The magazine that comes with the rifle runs 100%. I purchased some RZE Unimags. There were some issues with the Gen 1 magazines being to fat to insert. I sent those back and got the new Gen 2 magazines from Primary Arms. They run great. Avoid the 7.62x39 USA magazines as they don't run reliably. So the bottom line here is that you might have to replace the hammer spring. Other than that, you'd be good to go so long as you use the factory magazine or the Gen 2 RZE Unimags. My rifle has the Primary Arms 1-6x24 scope with the 7.62x39 reticle on it. I can't recommend this setup enough. This is absolutely one of my favorite rifles. The price on these rifles seems to vary a good bit depending on how many are on the market. Perhaps Windham produces them in large batches? I've seen them as low as $500 + shipping once, but they seem to typically be in the $600 to $750 range in the current market. BTW, the barrel is chrome lined.

Feedback Score
    I originally considered the Windham because I could pick one up for around $600, even tho their website says around $1500. I will look more closely at all mentioned so far, but that Faxon ARAK-21 really appeals to me. I’ve seen videos on them in the past, but had forgot about them. The only thing that gives me pause is the price. Around $2k, but it is an extremely nice rifle with the option of adding 300 BLK, a caliber I really have no interest in, but that would be down the road a bit if at all.

I think I’ve seen negatives on all mentioned except for the Faxon. This may be a difficult decision. 2k is a chunk of cash.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    PWS makes some of the most highly regarded 7.62x39 AR pattern rifles on the market. I would look there, especially if you have considered anything in the $2K range.

https://primaryweapons.com/store/pro...gory/firearms/
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Interesting note from Faxon's website:
    Faxon Technical Note on 7.62x39 Caliber Kit:
    The factory recommends a high-power hammer spring to use with the 7.62x39 kit.
    Many aftermarket "light" triggers will not automatically ignite 7.62x39 surplus ammunition.
    A spring is included and installed on XRS rifles ordered with the caliber. It is sold separately for the upper or caliber kit only.
    Faxon offers a Wolff high power spring for sale.
    That's pretty much a spot on confirmation of what I found out about the Windam 7.62x39 AR15. I'd love to see a review of the Faxon.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Not mine; I have no experience with the ARAK, but this dude is usually a good read.

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/technic...ceiver-review/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast