Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Atlas bipod question

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Another Atlas bipod question

I have always run the standard Atlas bipod. However, I have a hunt coming up and thought maybe a PRS or other might be more well suited. If you have experience, I’m all ears.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    It solves my biggest gripe with the original: the legs no longer spin. It also has supports that help prevent forward/backward rotation when you loosen the cant/panning knob.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    ^Yup. I got a PSR to avoid the spinning legs thing. Overall though I don't know that I'm a fan of the Atlas style bipod; the various leg mechanisms tend to lockup due the grit/dusty/blown-up dirt where I shoot long range.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Which leg mechanism in particular? I can't say I've ever had a bi-pod "lockup" due to dirt.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Atlas has to primary mechanisms: the ball-bearing locking collar on each leg and the pivot button lock on each leg. I've had the locking collars freeze up due to accumulated grit, when the whole bipod is kinda tinted red from kicked up dirt.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Kinda strange we shoot in the desert and grim dirt dust has never locked up legs up. Maybe you got a jacked up set.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    It solves my biggest gripe with the original: the legs no longer spin. It also has supports that help prevent forward/backward rotation when you loosen the cant/panning knob.
    I think I'll try one. Thanks

PB

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    If you can stomach the cost, the kac bipod is even better than the atlas psr. The cant and panning are separate adjustments, the qd mechanism is faster and doesn't require tuning to each pic rail, and the legs have a wider angle which I find much more stable. It also has two forward leg positions between folded and 90 degrees, instead of only 45 degrees on the atlas. Weight is about the same. I think one ounce more on the kac.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Kinda strange we shoot in the desert and grim dirt dust has never locked up legs up. Maybe you got a jacked up set.

PB
    You ever lube anything on yours? The bipod was pretty heavily lubed in most areas as it arrived from the factory, perhaps that contributed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalE View Post
    You ever lube anything on yours? The bipod was pretty heavily lubed in most areas as it arrived from the factory, perhaps that contributed.
    Yea, that is strange too, mine have never been lubed to a point that I noticed. I would guess your right about that speculation, lube and dirt is no Bueno

PB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast