Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do You Hold Your Rifle? Recoil Management

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    MM,

Agreed on most all of above. I shot you a PM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ... the AR in 5.56 recoils? Huh, new one on me ...
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    ... the AR in 5.56 recoils? Huh, new one on me ...
    Can you tell the difference between shooting a 5.56 AR and a .22 AR? If you can, then that's called 'recoil'. If you can shoot a standard 5.56 AR as quickly and accurately as you can a .22 AR, please share your technique with us. I'd be willing to bet that most members here that can shoot an AR fast can shoot a .22 AR faster; the only difference being 'non-existent' recoil.

I remember once I was at the range with my group of buddies, and talking about brakes, comps etc and some were joking about us 'sissies' and that 'ARs don't have recoil' etc. So, when we got to the friendly one-on-one drills on steel where we'd compete against each other, I broke out my .22 AR upper. Shouts of 'hey that's cheating!' 'cheater' rang out. I asked them (grinning) 'why is it cheating?' and they replied 'that's a .22! it doesn't have any recoil!' and I just laughed and pointed out 'you said neither does your AR. why the crying now?'. My point was made.

I'll throw this challenge out to anyone who says that 'ARs don't have recoil'. Show that you can put 10 rounds at 50 yards offhand on a 8" steel plate with a standard, non-comped/braked AR as fast as you can with a .22 upper and post a vid of it, or report back with the split times.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Couple of things that I’ve noticed in my own shooting is how the rifle is shouldered. In the pic above you can see how the buffer tube is in line with the center of the shoulder vs. above it. With the tube above the shoulder joint, the rifle will want to pivot up more. This means you end up muscling the muzzle down. Not efficient and often you’ll overshoot on the way down and waste time bringing the muzzle up to POA. Lots of wasted time. The other thing is cheek weld and also pressure. Cheek weld is nit only for indexing behind the sighting system. You can also use that downward pressure to help with recoil management. May not be a lot, but it helps.

Take some pics of your stance to see how you’re lining things up. Adjust optic height, stock length... till you can get comfortably into a stance where you have as much meat behind the gun as possible. Then practice the crap out of it. No matter how light or how good of a brake you have physics is physics and stuff will try to move. You will need to develop the strength and timing to manage it. Practice single shots with the focus being on minimizing the sight jump. That way you’re not getting ahead of yourself with the next trigger pull. Try different stances, pressures... till you find what works and then since and repeat till you can do it in your sleep. Then add the second trigger pull.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I'll throw this challenge out to anyone who says that 'ARs don't have recoil'. Show that you can put 10 rounds at 50 yards offhand on a 8" steel plate with a standard, non-comped/braked AR as fast as you can with a .22 upper and post a vid of it, or report back with the split times.
    Loan me a 22 upper.

I would gladly take, and probably win, this challenge.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Can you tell the difference between shooting a 5.56 AR and a .22 AR? If you can, then that's called 'recoil'. If you can shoot a standard 5.56 AR as quickly and accurately as you can a .22 AR, please share your technique with us. I'd be willing to bet that most members here that can shoot an AR fast can shoot a .22 AR faster; the only difference being 'non-existent' recoil.

I remember once I was at the range with my group of buddies, and talking about brakes, comps etc and some were joking about us 'sissies' and that 'ARs don't have recoil' etc. So, when we got to the friendly one-on-one drills on steel where we'd compete against each other, I broke out my .22 AR upper. Shouts of 'hey that's cheating!' 'cheater' rang out. I asked them (grinning) 'why is it cheating?' and they replied 'that's a .22! it doesn't have any recoil!' and I just laughed and pointed out 'you said neither does your AR. why the crying now?'. My point was made.

Thank you. The AR doesn't recoil much, but its still there. Anyone who says otherwise is trying too hard to sound buff. No one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Loan me a 22 upper.

Dude you need a S&W M&P 15-22. Those things are so damn fun.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Loan me a 22 upper.

Why do you think you'd win this challenge? I'm very interested to hear why you're confident that you'd be unable to shoot a .22 AR faster than you can a standard one in this particular challenge - all other things being equal.

Feedback Score
    OP
    In addition to some of the reasons already mentioned, you will see some folks C-clamp their rifle due to equipment they've placed there; such as tape switches, lights/lasers, and such... I kept my TV remote zip tied there for so long, just habit to grip the rifle that way...
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    Just got back from the range. Wow, what a difference with the C-grip! Recoil was much, much better. This is the biggest one day improvement ever! I feel like a whole different guy---the world is wonderful!

I did shorten up the stock all the way in. My stance was not a blade nor was it full frontal but somewhere in between and leaning a bit forward. This is a ten round state so five paper plates on a pole, two rounds on each and then check on accuracy. Some were very close together, an inch or so at 25 yards. I moved back to 40 yards and was hitting just fine at a speed which is totally acceptable. Even after the second shot, sometimes I just cranked out two more without pause. The stock is mostly on the pec with the shoulder rolling around. There is a whole lot of room here to improve, this was just day one.

One question for you guys: After 60 rounds my thumb could feel the heat---not burning heat but it did make me think how it would feel at 200 rounds. Any tricks here? My first thought was a silicon thumb glove.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Rail covers and normal gloves work fine.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123