Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torqued upper, help?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Alright guys (and gals?) I have a doozy for ya: I picked up a damaged Colt upper receiver from a guy as an add on in a trade because I wanted it and he didn't so it cost me nothing and its a Colt with the C mark and the damage came from being in a vise improperly (he said it was against the upper pic rail and in between the pin lugs... pics should show) while removing the extremely overtightened barrel and now it is ever so slightly twisted or "torqued" to where the carrier rubs at the rear and is at a slight angle when in the receiver. It also requires some opposite torque to get the rear takedown pin through the lower to upper but when it does go together is twists the receiver the opposite direction and seemingly works just fine but I want to see if there is a way to "fix" the mild twist in the upper as it is super tight to my Colt 11.5" barrel I just bought AND its, well... a COLT with the C mark. There is also some outward bend below the front of the ejection port (where the bottom of the receiver was secured in the vice, apparently) and I want to make sure that wont cause any untoward issues due to the 5.56 pressures...
    I know if there is anyone who can help me its all you eggheads here on m4c.
    Any help/options/guidance is MUCH appreciated! Let me know if you need more detailed pics.

**pics coming in a moment**

Regards,
    Darrin

Attachment 48124
    Overall side view with a bcg and where it stops due to the friction in the rear and the lightened part in the material below the port opening is where the slight bend is

Attachment 48125
    If you look closely you can tell the carrier is rubbing against the right side of the receiver

Attachment 48126
    The friction is enough that it keeps the carrier from falling all the way when placed vertically

Attachment 48127
    Another view of the carrier and where it stops without a little push

Attachment 48128
    In this you can see where there is a slight outward bend below the front portion of the material below the ejection port

Attachment 48129
    Here you can see some of the damage that the vise teeth did to the pic rails.

Attachment 48130
    Extra picture for more detail

Attachment 48131
    And finally here is a pic of the bottom of the upper and you can see where the guy filed or sanded part of the upper below where the minor outward bend is. I don't know why.

Feedback Score
    There's NO chance you put a twist on 7075-T6 receiver, none. Every minute you spend on this is one you'll never get back. Time to cut your losses and junk it.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sadler View Post
    There's NO chance you put a twist on 7075-T6 receiver, none. Every minute you spend on this is one you'll never get back. Time to cut your losses and junk it.
    ^^^^What he said^^^^ Especially considering a good stripped receiver can be had for 80 bucks.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Paper weight.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by Aetius; 02-10-19 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy your buddy a WECSOG tee-shirt and use the receiver as a paperweight or for assembly practice with buds.

Feedback Score
    He couldn't be bothered to buy a clam shell upper receiver vise block I guess.

Yeah, it's junk.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yeah thats what i assumed. I asked him how it happened and he used no attachment method. I was just hoping i could salvage it but oh well. Hey it was free lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not really a fix for that type of damage. Your best option is to go ahead and do what others have recommended. Scrap that destroyed upper and get yourself a BCM 'demo' upper, then enjoy.
    Just curious....How tight was the barrel that the receiver was twisted that bad?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I dont know, he just said it was "average colt overtorquing".... Whatever the hell that means. I noticed that my aero upper has the same square forge marking but barrels just drop right in and isnt tight at all... But the colt one is super tight! Interesting how two uppers from the same mfgr can vary so much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast