Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you guys grease your skids?

Feedback Score

Do you guys grease your skids?

Shot my new AR build today and as I was finishing up cleaning and about to slide the carrier back into the upper a thought hit me: after all these years of shooting AR's and beaucoup cleaning sessions I've never put anything on the bottom of the carrier where it rides along in the upper, the "skids" if you will. Do many of you do this? If so, grease of some sort or just oil?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I place drops of oil on all wear surfaces on the BCG. Slides into the upper like a warm knife through butter.

I do not use grease.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Anywhere metal is rubbing against something gets some kind of lube. Anywhere that shows wear gets extra. Bottom of the BCG, definitely. Lugs, cam pin, rails, O-rings, firing pin, etc.

Someone once told me that as long as there is a lot of lube around the BCG, the entire area will be coated quickly when firing. Still have to lube the firing pin and the extractor pin every other time, but for the most part the BCG will be coated regardless. Same guy that said that the AR15 doesn't need cleaning and as long as you lube it, it'll be fine.

I don't doubt it works for him, but I still lube the BCG by area and clean my ARs every 500 rounds.

Feedback Score
    I always oil it, I never use grease.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I never specifically oil the skids (never grease anything) and none of my AR’s show significant wear in this area. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but the bolt carrier on an AR is essentially free-floating. How much contact is there between the carrier and upper?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I oil the bottom and top contact surfaces of the BCG where it rides in the upper, among other parts, to answer your question.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Short answer yes I do..

Long answer..
    I use lucas red n tacky grease and motor oil on the rails the bcg rides on. I never put any lube on the bottom of the bcg that touches the ammo in the mag, nor do I lube the hammer face because I don't want oil on my ammo.
    I usually oil the gas rings and cam pin, but I like coating the cam pin with a very light layer of grease, then putting a drop of oil on the cam pin once the bcg is assembled. I lightly oil other springs and surfaces that need it.
    Never had an issue, always stays lubed, and functions in negative tempatures (it gets cold here ). I have been doing this for years and many thousands of rounds with guns used at many classes.
    I love using grease, I just use it sparingly. A little goes a long way, and I use it in combination with oil. I think neither oil or grease can do everything the other one does, so I use both.

Lucas red n tacky has a drop point of 540 degrees Fahrenheit which is higher than most oils.
    I use a small amount of grease on the rails of all my guns, pistols, shotguns, rifles. I just rub a little on my finger and rub it on the surface. Sometimes I put a drop of oil on the greased surfaces to lower the viscosity, even when doing that the greased surfaces stay lubed forever unlike oil that will drop off with gravity.

Lubing my pistols, shotguns, and rifles has never given me a single malfunction using grease. It is easy to clean up and a very effective lube if applied properly. I shoot in the cold winters very often.
    Try using some mixed with motor oil to lower the viscosity of you think it's too thick.

There is a guy on YouTube that literally stuffed the entire inside of his AR-15 with grease ( just not the barrel ) and it functioned flawlessly. However I recommend just using a small amount to put a light coat on the surfaces you want lubed. If you do live where it gets in the negative fahrenheit temperatures for months out of the year just mix a little bit of oil with the grease to lower the viscosity and you'll be good to go.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 10-21-17 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes. Tetra...but Im now using & trying a tube of lightweight lithium grease from an auto parts store, if I decide to use it exclusively..itll last my lifetime.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Yes. Tetra...but Im now using & trying a tube of lightweight lithium grease from an auto parts store, if I decide to use it exclusively..itll last my lifetime.
    Most white lithium grease has a low drop temp, it burns at low temps. I suggest getting a grease like Lucas red n tacky with a drop temp around 540 degrees.

You can adjust grease viscosity by mixing it with oil.

Eta: wait nevermind, you said lithium not white lithium.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 10-21-17 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I hit all the lube points with a little FP10.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast