Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Is anyone still using Frog Lube?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Is anyone still using Frog Lube?
    NO!

I was one of the suckers that got pulled into that. Then I started reading reports here and there about some supposed problems, so I judiciously lubed up an AR with Frog Lube paste, shot it for a couple hundred rounds, then set it in the safe for several months. Finally, I set it outdoors in just-below-freezing weather for a few hours prior to shooting. I don't consider those things unreasonable. It failed 100%. I would not get it it to fire (FTFire), trying the top half dozen assorted factory rounds in the mag. Field stripped it, wiped the entire BCG, firing pin, and FCG (did not remove FCG) down with a rage and applied some Slip 2000 EWL. BANG, worked. I could feel the hammer being bogged down and moving less freely when I started, then loosening up as I got rid of the frog lube.

If I had not done that, I don't know if I would believe it.

Just give me some Slip 2000 EWL, for any gun I have, and I'm happy. I don't really use grease to speak of, maybe just a dab here or there on sliding surfaces like maybe a tiny bit on handgun slide/frame contact points, usually Tetra gun grease. Slip 2k EWL is where it's at IMO. Or synthetic motor oil. Lube the right spots with the right amount from time to time and that's really all there is to worry about.

Feedback Score
    I grease (Thin layer/sparingly) what slides and oil what rotates on all my guns. Also if moving parts contact something but I just can't get grease to it, it gets oil.

The only AR-type I have now is an AR10 and when it had it's stoppage I found the grease seemed to have too much grit suspended in it and I think it's what caused the stove pipe. This was after about 250 rnds IIRC.

What I like about grease is that it will hold the grit but still lube and it's when it's time to clean the part wiping it off removes the grit, too.

But like I said, it can only hold so much grit in suspension and still lubricate. I think I didn't use enough grease and/or failed to clean it off and replace it.

It does make me think that since oil runs off everything and the AR in particular blows oil off perhaps the best thing for them is to liberally oil down the action, often.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-22-17 at 22:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    I hit all the lube points with a little FP10.
    Me too.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    ???

The hammer never contacts the ammunition. Not sure where you're going with this.

huh? Oils don't have a drop point.

I've lubed with greases of several varieties and many different oils and have had many malfunctions over the years. No lube will prevent failures %100. If you've never experienced a failure, you're not shooting enough.
    Bottom of carrier contacts hammer, which could get excess lube on ammo.
    I've had malfunctions but they are usually magazine related, soon as I put the gi mag away that I had a malfunction with, the malfunction problem goes away.
    Never had a malfunction from what lube I decided to use.

I misspoke on the drop point part.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 10-22-17 at 23:10.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Bottom of carrier contacts hammer, which could get excess lube on ammo.
    I've had malfunctions but they are usually magazine related, soon as I put the gi mag away that I had a malfunction with, the malfunction problem goes away.
    Never had a malfunction from what lube I decided to use.

I misspoke on the drop point part.

You do realize you're on a forum with a lot of professionals who either use, or fix this equipment for a living? Who've used or seen these things work in high round count and/or combat environments who already know exactly how this shit works..... and who don't give two shits about how much lube gets on the hammer because of lube transfer..... because it doesn't ****ing matter....

You ARE aware of this, right?
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    You do realize you're on a forum with a lot of professionals who either use, or fix this equipment for a living? Who've used or seen these things work in high round count and/or combat environments who already know exactly how this shit works..... and who don't give two shits about how much lube gets on the hammer because of lube transfer..... because it doesn't ****ing matter....

You ARE aware of this, right?

Funny how I choose to maintain my own personal weapons gets your panties in a wad.
    I carry guns at work too, but I don't use that part of my life to swing my dick around on the internet.

Did I say that what I do is better than what everyone else does? Did I say that what I do is the only way to do it correctly? No I did not, I just said what I personally do and shared my experience with using Grease. ( which was the OPs question.)

Eta: take a chill pill.

As you said this shit doesn't matter so it's not worth getting worked up over. I also can't imagine that excess lube getting into any firearms chamber is a good thing. But if you disagree that is fine, I don't care.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 10-23-17 at 01:22.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Just what we needed another lube thread. Just when you thought Glasnost was here.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're talking about that flat, slightly angled portion on the bottom of the BCG, then yes I do lube it. I put a teeny tiny amount of grease on it and distribute it evenly and thinly once I've lubed everything else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Funny how I choose to maintain my own personal weapons gets your panties in a wad.
    I carry guns at work too, but I don't use that part of my life to swing my dick around on the internet.
    Whole lotta "crank twirlin'" goes on around here for sure. I used to engage some but mostly just lurk now. The technical articles and references on here are very good and there's a lot of valuable info on the forums but you gotta do a lot of mining to get to the meat of it sometimes. And FWIW, I don't carry guns at work, I've never been in combat and I've never fired a shot in anger. I'm just a very mechanically astute HOBBYIST.

And don't fail to observe the number one commandment around here: "Thou shalt kneel before The Alter of the Pony".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast