Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girls in science, liberals, and unintended consequences

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Girls in science, liberals, and unintended consequences

Cliffs:

Girl is a science whiz at age 8.
    Girl makes tv shows that inspire other girls to be good at science.
    Obama invites girl to WH as a role model for girls everywhere to compete with boys in STEM.
    Girl says she’s really a boy.
    Liberals heads explode.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.017d8e4b9e47

ETA: I am not implying girls should avoid science or that boys are inherently better with this post.

Feedback Score
    Well, this is about all I can say about that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You know what, people shouldnt put kids in the spotlight so much.

Maybe a phase, maybe not. She's gotta do her

Feedback Score
    Mental illness is real.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Cliffs:

Girl is a science whiz at age 8.
    Girl makes tv shows that inspire other girls to be good at science.
    Obama invites girl to WH as a role model for girls everywhere to compete with boys in STEM.
    Girl says she’s really a boy.
    Liberals heads explode.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.017d8e4b9e47

ETA: I am not implying girls should avoid science or that boys are inherently better with this post.
    Hey, do us, well, at least me, a favor. If it is a WaPo story, copy it, because it won't let me see it without subscribing online.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is funny. I live just 8 miles from these people. Still involved with local school stuff. Never heard of him/her.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 10-24-17 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Mental illness is real.
    Why you gotta say that man?

Why? She's an intelligent young person who might be going through a phase, maybe not.

You don't know her life.

I knew some hardcore lesbians in my day who said "I just needed a man. I had a craving."

It's called being a gold star because of how rare it is.
    She could be the next Madame Curie. Cut her some slack. When she starts selling meth or building bombs for terries; then I might get concerned.

But the term "mental illness" means things. She's like 18? Shoot, man. She's smart and got a wild streak.

Mental Illness is like misused on folks who are different.

I dunno how old or young you are, but we all look back to our salad days with some cringe and if you dont then you are either a square or a lying to yourself.

ETA She's 16 and looks like a girl with a pixie cut who has a "boyfriend" who is another girl.

Probably a phase. She's 16. Being 16. Doing 16 year old things. I bet if Ryan Gosling showed up and asked her if she wanted to shoot skinjobs and fly in a flying car she would not object.

I wouldnt object. I mean he's so non-threatening, yet confidence inspiring. Didn't y'all ever watch The Notebook
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-24-17 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    16 yo girls are weird. Science is still a pretty male dominated arena. If she’s truly a genius in that field and spends a lot of time around guys she might just be trying to fit in with the guys. She may just be the geek variant of a tomboy. It’s a pretty tough time for girls. Some paint their hair purple, some date bad boys...

Wouldn’t quite throw her out with the bath water, but I might bitch slap the parents for being doofuses and pushing their kid into the limelight for nothing useful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Why you gotta say that man?

Why? She's an intelligent young person who might be going through a phase, maybe not.

You don't know her life.

I knew some hardcore lesbians in my day who said "I just needed a man. I had a craving."

It's called being a gold star because of how rare it is.
    She could be the next Madame Curie. Cut her some slack. When she starts selling meth or building bombs for terries; then I might get concerned.

But the term "mental illness" means things. She's like 18? Shoot, man. She's smart and got a wild streak.

Mental Illness is like misused on folks who are different.

I dunno how old or young you are, but we all look back to our salad days with some cringe and if you dont then you are either a square or a lying to yourself.

ETA She's 16 and looks like a girl with a pixie cut who has a "boyfriend" who is another girl.

Probably a phase. She's 16. Being 16. Doing 16 year old things. I bet if Ryan Gosling showed up and asked her if she wanted to shoot skinjobs and fly in a flying car she would not object.

I wouldnt object. I mean he's so non-threatening, yet confidence inspiring. Didn't y'all ever watch The Notebook

Mental illness and intelligence are not mutually exclusive. Maybe it’s a phase, I blame society and parents mostly. Puberty is an awkward time, and we push people to fit into molds. It’s mind blowing, liberals are the ones who want to de-genderize everything, but in the process, are pushing people to pick a gender, and forming stereotypes of what that gender is.

I remember in the 90s when a guy could wear a dress and just be a cross dresser on Friday’s. No need to run and cut stuff off to be a “real” girl.

Lastly, if this girl is a guy, but likes guys, is he gay, or is She straight?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dont think parents should necessarily crush a kid unless they are being self-destructive (which this isnt really), but also need to know when to kinda pump the brakes.

Teen girls are weird, odd, and very awkward. It's either go through an odd phase or start messing with grown men.

Letting her give herself a weird name and be a tomboy and have a girl "boyfriend" is really pretty harmless. Putting her on display probably made her more than a bit self conscious and this is a coping mechanism.

I think once she gets it out of her system she'll mellow out. They always do.

I doubt she needs to be committed to a sanitarium just yet.

Girls either get 'active' too early and crash and burn with three kids by 19 or they have a weird phase where they go goth, punk, metal, boy, or be deliberately weird.

I figure she'll eventually work herself through it, ease up, and once her limelight is done she will dial it back.

I've known too many girls who were alternative only to be pretty normal well before 30. I dare say, to a limited extent, this should be encouraged. If she got cracked down on too hard it will just make her stick with it.

If I were her dad, I would let her go through her she-boy phase with good humor. It's much better than her doing dope or messing with grown males.

Actually, I have something for this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast