Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffer Tube Ridge?

Feedback Score

Buffer Tube Ridge?

Hey guys,

I put my lowers together over the past month and noticed on my buffer tubes that somehow a ridge has formed between the castle nut and the rest of the tube. Across the three lowers, they all have the ridge but to varying degree of severity. I'm gunna try and post a pic of it below. Is this normal?

Edit: Also, the buffer tube is LaRue (I'm still waiting for their CS to handle my problem, it's been 4 months). QD Plate is Impact Weapons (I think it's the best QD plate and the CS from Earl is fantastic). Castle Nut torqued to spec.

Also, I ran my fingers inside the buffer tube and it doesn't seem to affect the inside of the tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hulkstr8; 10-22-17 at 08:55. Reason: Adding Necessary Info

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Haven't ever seen that before.....
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Yeah neither have I.......

I wasn't doing anything odd either, just Geissele Reaction Block, Magpul Wrench, and a torque wrench.

Feedback Score
    I'm betting the ridge was already there from manufacturing, you just didn't notice it before. LMT tubes have a similar ridge, although the location is slightly further back.

Feedback Score
    Looks like your tube was turned in a lathe prior to thread cutting.

Most tubes have rolled threads, not cut, hence you might never have noticed before on other tubes.

Your tube is fine.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    I'm betting the ridge was already there from manufacturing, you just didn't notice it before. LMT tubes have a similar ridge, although the location is slightly further back.
    This is what I’m thinking
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Okay, I wasn't sure. It seems strange that the ridges are either bigger or smaller depending on the buffer tube.

Is there any inherent benefit for cut or rolled threads?

Feedback Score
    Milspec tubes have thinner walls, and the threads are pressed on and are full depth.
    Commercial tubes are weaker material, and have thicker walls, and the threads are cut, but are smaller and do not fully engage the threads of the lower receiver.

No clue about details on material, construction, or production for LaRue RE extensions, what I posted is for standard milspec or commercial tubes.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-22-17 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Milspec tubes have thinner walls, and the threads are pressed on and are full depth.
    Commercial tubes are weaker material, and have thicker walls, and the threads are cut, but are smaller and do not fully engage the threads of the lower receiver.

No clue about details on material, construction, or production for LaRue RE extensions, what I posted is for standard milspec or commercial tubes.
    LaRue tubes are mil-spec, the rest is sort of a mystery as it is with most LaRue products.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Okay, I wasn't sure. It seems strange that the ridges are either bigger or smaller depending on the buffer tube.

Is there any inherent benefit for cut or rolled threads?
    Rolled threads are much stronger than cut threads.

Cut threads are more than adequate, but technically not correct "mil-spec"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast