Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinco Extractor Upgrade ?

Feedback Score

Sprinco Extractor Upgrade ?

Hey guys,

How necessary is it to use the sprinco extractor upgrade kit? Do you use all of it? Any other upgrades I should use?

thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you having extraction problems? If not, then no it's not necessary at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
    Are you having extraction problems? If not, then no it's not necessary at all.
    No, I'm not. They're new builds, but see some factory files coming with the upgrade so I'm curious. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    No, I'm not. They're new builds, but see some factory files coming with the upgrade so I'm curious. Thanks.
    I think it's their way of doing it right the first time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    In that case I don't think it'll hurt anything. I can't offer any experience with anything except BCM springs, Springco seems to know springs though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Based on my personal experience, I would suggest the Colt extractor spring
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Based on my personal experience, I would suggest the Colt extractor spring
    What experiences are those? Link to previous posts maybe? I'm not trying to make people repeat themselves lol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like to follow threads about AR malfunctions and the solution. For awhile, numerous threads were about extraction problems due to extractor springs of various makers failing. Most began failing within a thousand rounds. I don't recall seeing any Colt springs that were failing at the lower round counts.

I have also had my own extractor springs start failing within a thousand rounds. An overgassed shorty was particularly hard on extractor springs. (The shorty is no longer overgassed, thanks to an adjustable gas block from SLR.) I solved my extraction problems by installing Colt extractor springs.

When the M4 was first introduced, it used the same extractor spring as the M16. The spring worked well enough with the rifle length system, but was strained past its limits with new M4, especially in burst mode. The new, shorter AR suffered extraction problems. Colt solved the problem by redesigning the extraction spring. Colt extractor springs are about $5 a piece and it's easy to order them through Brownell's or other vendor and we know they work. Since switching to Colt extractor springs, I have had no problems with extraction.

I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I like to follow threads about AR malfunctions and the solution. For awhile, numerous threads were about extraction problems due to extractor springs of various makers failing. Most began failing within a thousand rounds. I don't recall seeing any Colt springs that were failing at the lower round counts.

I have also had my own extractor springs start failing within a thousand rounds. An overgassed shorty was particularly hard on extractor springs. (The shorty is no longer overgassed, thanks to an adjustable gas block from SLR.) I solved my extraction problems by installing Colt extractor springs.

When the M4 was first introduced, it used the same extractor spring as the M16. The spring worked well enough with the rifle length system, but was strained past its limits with new M4, especially in burst mode. The new, shorter AR suffered extraction problems. Colt solved the problem by redesigning the extraction spring. Colt extractor springs are about $5 a piece and it's easy to order them through Brownell's or other vendor and we know they work. Since switching to Colt extractor springs, I have had no problems with extraction.
    Cool. I'll keep that in mind. You didn't run a beefier extractor insert as well did you?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do not run an O ring with a Colt extractor spring. It will put too much pressure on the extractor. Too much pressure makes it difficult for the extractor to snap over the rim of the case.

The O ring was a temporary fix until Colt could redesign the spring. O ring will break down over time. If you use an O ring made of the wrong material, oil and cleaner will break it down. The O ring will fall apart and pieces will cause problems with the extractor.

If you have an extractor spring that needs an O ring, the extractor spring is either the wrong one or is failing. Replace the spring instead.

I am American

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast