Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome Silicon .308 AR Buffer Spring for Rifle-Length/A2 Receiver Extension?

Feedback Score

Chrome Silicon .308 AR Buffer Spring for Rifle-Length/A2 Receiver Extension?

Hi Folks,

I am moving away from the flat-wire Tubbs buffer springs I have been using in my AR-10s and AR-15s until recently for several reasons. The first, and less important reason, is that they stopped making them out of chrome silicon and now just use stainless steel, which would likely have the short life of the standard generic buffer springs, despite their advertising claims that they will last a long time.

Second, and far more critical, is what I discovered the hard way that a flat-wire buffer spring does to receiver extensions. When you remove the buffer and round-wire spring from a receiver extension, the round wire rolls over the buffer detent pretty smoothly without imparting much force to it. However, when you do the same with a buffer on top of a flat wire spring, each coil of the flat-wire spring hits the buffer detent and takes a lot more force to slide off of it. This causes the buffer detent to tilt forward and its side to strike the receiver extension each time a flat-wire coil slips over it. I always take care to keep the buffer detent depressed with a tool when removing the buffer, but there is a point when withdrawing the spring that you can't hold it down and it hits the receiver extension.

I never worried too much about this, as I have had the Tubbs flat-wire springs in all my modern ARs, and have taken buffers out many times over the years with all of them. These include 2 ARs with rifle receiver extensions and Cav Arms C1 stocks, and 2 with carbine receiver extensions with Rogers Super Stocs. All 4 of those ARs use OEM Colt hammer-forged 7075T6 receiver extensions, and so the buffer detent problem never occurred to me.

However, I just a few weeks ago built an AR with a collapsible stock using a 7075T6 receiver extension from one of the premium AR manufacturers. This receiver extension was not forged, but impact-extruded, but I didn't think it would make a difference. Well, I used a Tubbs flat-wire buffer spring in it, and this weekend I took the buffer out for only the second time in the life of the rifle, and after I had depressed the detent, pulled the buffer out, removed it from the spring, and was withdrawing the spring carefully, the detent broke a hole in the lip of the receiver extension that holds it down. I don't want to say what manufacturer made this receiver extension, as they advertise on this site and are universally considered a very premium outfit, but suffice it to say, I will never use either an impact-extruded receiver extension or anything made by them ever again.

To see whether the flat-wire buffer springs did this to other rifles, I pulled both the rifle-length receiver extensions from my rifles wet up with C1 stocks, and lo and behold, they both had a noticable divot in the aluminum where the buffer detent is held in place. These two rifles have had flat-wire springs in them for 7 years and have had the buffers removed likely 100 times, so they were much better-constructed, but it seems that the flat-wire spring is hard on any receiver extension.

Therefore, I am getting round-wire buffer springs for the AR-15s in chrome silicon, but am not sure who makes a good round-wire chrome silicon spring for an AR-10 (mine is an ArmaLite) with a rifle-length extension. It looks like Springco's RED and ORANGE springs are designed for carbine receiver extensions, and the only spring I have found made of chrome silicon that is listed specifically as for a rifle receiver extension is this one: https://www.bangswitchparts.com/prod...hrome-silicon/

However, given the suspiciously-low price and the lack of identification for a manufacturer, I think this might be of very suspect quality. Does anyone have any experience with this spring, or can anyone recommend a chrome silicon round-wire buffer spring designed specifically for .308 ARs with a rifle-length receiver extension?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does your AR10 use a short .308 buffer or standard AR15 size? The sprinco orange with vltor re10 extension using H3 “AR 15” carbine size buffer works perfectly fine.
    Last edited by TacticalMark; 10-22-17 at 14:39. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Armalite AR-10 uses the same spring in rifle and carbine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The Armalite AR-10 uses the same spring in rifle and carbine.
    Would that mean, though, that the Springco RED spring would be equally well-suited as well? The way they describe it on their site, it sounds like they designed it particularly for .308 ARs with short, carbine-length buffers and shorter receiver extensions in mind. They even differentiate between carbine and rifle receiver extensions in the product description. The following is from their website:

"AR-10 Carbines (E.G. Armalite, Noveske, LMT) using deeper extension tubes and standard length carbine buffers to accommodate the longer .308 BCG also use the "RED" Spring. Please call us to discuss successful historical "recipes" for implementation of the RED spring in .308, 6.8 SPC, etc. RIFLE length extension tube platforms."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalMark View Post
    Does your AR10 use a short .308 buffer or standard AR15 size? The sprinco orange with vltor re10 extension using H3 “AR 15” carbine size buffer works perfectly fine.
    The AR-10 in question uses the Colt AR-15 rifle-length receiver extension, which is standard for the fixed-stock ArmaLite AR-10. This necessitates using a rifle-length buffer that is specifically for the AR-10, and is shorter than an AR-15 rifle buffer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalMark View Post
    The AR-10 in question uses the Colt AR-15 rifle-length receiver extension, which is standard for the fixed-stock ArmaLite AR-10. This necessitates using a rifle-length buffer that is specifically for the AR-10, and is shorter than an AR-15 rifle buffer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The description would make it correct for your rifle. Armalite uses the same spring with a standard length carbine H3 buffer in a longer CAR receiver extension, or shorter rifle buffer in a standard rifle receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    I talked to a technician at Sprinco yesterday, and they told me that while ArmaLite uses the same OEM spring in both the CAR and rifle receiver extensions, their red spring is specifically designed for ArmaLite's CAR extension (exact same internal dimensions as the VLTOR A5), and is too short to function properly in the rifle-length extension. He told me that they are currently in development of a spacer sleeve for the buffer that will allow the red spring to work normally in the rifle-length extension, but that for now, it is not recommended for my application. Apparently you can use the orange spring in the ArmaLite CAR/A5 receiver extension for a stiffer spring, but it is designed for the even-shorter DPMS-style with the standard M4 receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    Respectfully....

I actually spoke to David Tubbs today about this.

Please do not read anymore into Mr. Tubbs comments then his response to the OP's original post.

Here is his e-mailed response...

1. Questions the possible quality of the retaining pin.. and no offense, but it may be faulty... NOTE this is my version of Mr. Tubbs comment.... strictly to keep any possibility of offending any one to a minimum.

2. Yes the Flatwire is more difficuolt to install

3. The Flatwire has nothing to do with buffer position or the rear of the bolt position.

And if the buffer hits the detent when the bolt is closed then some of the energy involved with closing the bolt will be transferred to the detent.

4. Pretty quick to condemn the Flatwire for tolerance issues beyond the control of the spring.

5. While Chrome silicon might be a slightly better spring material it’s not a milspec material (it will rust)

6. As far as the life of the spring there is insignificant difference between the Chrome Silicon and the 17-7 in the AR buffer tube environment.

7. A Flatwire spring is a better mousetrap when used in an AR buffer.

David Tubb

Take this anyway you want... AGAIN >>> NO offense to anyone.

And I am just trying to give David Tubbs a fair shake in these comments.

As for the OP... I hear what you are saying... but I will continue to use Tubbs springs and actually prefer them greatly over other ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Respectfully....

I actually spoke to David Tubbs today about this.

Please do not read anymore into Mr. Tubbs comments then his response to the OP's original post.

Here is his e-mailed response...

1. Questions the possible quality of the retaining pin.. and no offense, but it may be faulty... NOTE this is my version of Mr. Tubbs comment.... strictly to keep any possibility of offending any one to a minimum.

2. Yes the Flatwire is more difficuolt to install

3. The Flatwire has nothing to do with buffer position or the rear of the bolt position.

And if the buffer hits the detent when the bolt is closed then some of the energy involved with closing the bolt will be transferred to the detent.

4. Pretty quick to condemn the Flatwire for tolerance issues beyond the control of the spring.

5. While Chrome silicon might be a slightly better spring material it’s not a milspec material (it will rust)

6. As far as the life of the spring there is insignificant difference between the Chrome Silicon and the 17-7 in the AR buffer tube environment.

7. A Flatwire spring is a better mousetrap when used in an AR buffer.

David Tubb

Take this anyway you want... AGAIN >>> NO offense to anyone.

And I am just trying to give David Tubbs a fair shake in these comments.

As for the OP... I hear what you are saying... but I will continue to use Tubbs springs and actually prefer them greatly over other ones.
    Thanks for the input, and for getting in touch with Tubbs; I have spoken with him in the past as well and he is a stand-up guy.

I thought I was pretty clear in my initial post that the buffer detent is not under any pressure from the buffer when the rifle is fully assembled; all my ARs are made of premium parts and are in-spec (I am the author of the Collector Grade Publications book on the AR-10, so I know a bit about building and analyzing an AR) and none of them have the problem of buffer contact with the buffer detent. As I also explained, I don't blame the flat-wire being harder on the buffer detent on Tubbs, it is just universal to the flat-wire design. My only issue with Tubbs is that they hyped the chrome silicon-construction springs to the heavens and disparaged steel springs, but now they only make their springs in stainless steel. I wish they at least still offered springs in both materials.

I have decided, however, to keep the same Tubbs spring in my AR-10 I have always used, just to use a tool to hold the detent down the entire time I am withdrawing the spring when I remove the buffer. The spring has served me well for over 7 years, it is just that I was alarmed to see what the detent was doing to my receiver extension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast