Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet struck the muzzle break and key holed

Feedback Score

Bullet struck the muzzle break and key holed

I just assembled a new upper. I took it to the range today to sight it in. I noticed that a round had key holed. I thought at was weird as this is a new barrel (Stretch16 Phantom) and I've shot ~75 rounds through it previously with an ALG Sidewinder brake to get the gas block dialed in and evaluate that brake, all worked fine. I decided to replace the brake with the one off of my old upper, a DPMS Miculek Muzzle Brake. I inspected the muzzle brake after the keyhole and it looks as if the bullet hit the muzzle break. I was shooting 55 grn. Freedom re-manufactured at the time. I don't think their is a problem with the muzzle brake being miss aligned as I've pushed a rod through it and I can't get the rod to snag, even when I try. Any ideas what I have going on?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The threads on the barrel or the break may not be entirely, perfectly concentric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've heard of freedom remanufactured causing a lot of kabooms. I'll never shoot that stuff.
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was the ammo even though this problem is symbolic on non concentric threads.

Feedback Score
    That is what I was afraid of. How can I tell if it is the threads in the muzzle break or the threads on the barrel? Trial and error?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Packeagle View Post
    That is what I was afraid of. How can I tell if it is the threads in the muzzle break or the threads on the barrel? Trial and error?
    Look through the upper and see if it's clear or if the muzzle break blocks it, or use a wooden dowell.

If bet it was the muzzle break, but if it is the barrel I would send it back and demand a refund.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I pushed a rod through it with the jag and it doesn't hit the break. I have probably 150-160 rounds though the gun at this point so its not happening all the time.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Freedom reman is garbage. Stretch16 is the name of the company that you bought the barrel from?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I trust tula more than I trust freedom reman. Although it's most likely the muzzle brake.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Freedom reman is garbage. Stretch16 is the name of the company that you bought the barrel from?
    What in the world is Stretch16?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What in the world is Stretch16?
    It is a carbon wrapped barrel that 3 gunners are using.

Supposedly very nice but $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast