Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet struck the muzzle break and key holed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    It is a carbon wrapped barrel that 3 gunners are using.

Supposedly very nice but $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Close, it's a 16" intermediate gas length fluted barrel. Its Stainless steel (Proof does the carbon fiber). Mine is the phantom so it's got fancy fluting and Melonite treatment. They are fairly expensive, though. I picked it up off of a prize table. Based on the reputation of this company in the 3 gun world, I'd find it hard to believe it was the barrel. A lot of top shooters run them. I'm at a loss right now though.

http://www.strongsidetactical.com/st...rrel-melonite/

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Did you use a precision washer or crush/peel washer?

With a comp that just has a few thousandths to a side (in terms of bore diameter), it is mandatory to use a precision washer.
    A crush washer is too imprecise to align a "precision", super effective- comp/muzzle device.

https://precisionarmament.com/produc...washer-system/

Feedback Score
    It seems like an ammo issue. Took it to an indoor range and shot the same ammo without a problem. So either a fluke or just a bad round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Did you use a precision washer or crush/peel washer?

With a comp that just has a few thousandths to a side (in terms of bore diameter), it is mandatory to use a precision washer.
    A crush washer is too imprecise to align a "precision", super effective- comp/muzzle device.

https://precisionarmament.com/produc...washer-system/
    Used the supplied jam nut.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I still think it was the muzzle brake. My two cents would be stop shooting freedom reman if you care about your gun, and change the muzzle brake.

Off topic, but that is a pretty sweet looking barrel!
    I like the specs on it.
    Have you shot any match grade ammo out of that barrel? How is the recoil impulse with that intermediate gas system? Port size? By the sounds of it, I bet it has a very mild recoil impulse.

Feedback Score
    Recoil impulse is really nice. I have the Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and a RTB light weight carrier. I also took the weights out of the buffer. So I have the gas turned way down.

With the Freedom Reman, I had a 4 inch group or so at 200 yards.

Haven't shot any match ammo yet. This rifle probably won't see anything other than 55 gr. bulk for the ≤100yrd shots at the local 3 gun matches. I would love to get to a major next year and shoot some longer shots.

Last edited by Packeagle; 10-23-17 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't believe that's necessarily evidence of a bullet strike. I do see normal blast face erosion, and indeed there are some rather extreme divots compared to the to-be-expected mottling, as if there were some chunks of something larger that individual granules of powder. But a bullet strike that close to the muzzle (assuming this thing is not extremely eccentric somehow) ought not be point-on. If it were me I'd check concentricity and clearance by eyeball; if any question I've make the hole bigger / fix the concentricity issue..... and shoot on.

I know nothing of Freedom Munitions other than they took very, very good care of a friend in a very forthright way when there was significant doubt that it had anything to do with anything they did, and at that, it was not a question of a bad load, it was a caliber mixup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I don't believe that's necessarily evidence of a bullet strike. I do see normal blast face erosion, and indeed there are some rather extreme divots compared to the to-be-expected mottling, as if there were some chunks of something larger that individual granules of powder. But a bullet strike that close to the muzzle (assuming this thing is not extremely eccentric somehow) ought to be point-on. If it were me I'd check concentricity and clearance by eyeball; if any question I've make the hole bigger / fix the concentricity issue..... and shoot on.

I know nothing of Freedom Munitions other than they took very, very good care of a friend in a very forthright way when there was significant doubt that it had anything to do with anything they did, and at that, it was not a question of a bad load, it was a caliber mixup.
    Yeah. Maybe it was just a fluke then. That keyhole just threw me for a loop and I'm trying to nail down a cause. Thanks for your thoughts.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I know of a lot of people who shoot Freedom but I don't think any of it is their reman stuff. I had at least three keyholes from a pretty new factory Noveske last summer with the reman 223 and found a reman 9mm round that look like two pieces of brass had been fused together.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I know of a lot of people who shoot Freedom but I don't think any of it is their reman stuff. I had at least three keyholes from a pretty new factory Noveske last summer with the reman 223 and found a reman 9mm round that look like two pieces of brass had been fused together.
    Ammo it is! Thanks. You've confirmed it. Feeling much better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast