Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a shot timer. What are the top popular pistol drills?

Feedback Score

I got a shot timer. What are the top popular pistol drills?

I'd like to see where I'm at, get a baseline with my new timer. (Pocket pro I)

I normally do better than people I shoot with, but that may or may not be saying much

What are the top, popular pistol drills I can compare myself to others with?

Especially drills that involve the draw.

Feedback Score
    FAST test, bill drill. Pistol-training.com has a list of drills and targets. It’s a great resource.

Fast test is load 2 rounds in gun, 4+in spare mag.
    7yds. Random beep, draw, 2 to 3x5, reload on slide lock, 4 shots to 8” circle.

Must shoot clean, score is 5 sec expert, 7 sec advanced, 7-10 intermediate, 10 sec novice.

Dave Sevigny 3.56 seconds (record)
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-23-17 at 06:44.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    http://pistol-training.com/drills

And

Viking Tactics YouTube channel.
    Last edited by ggammell; 10-23-17 at 08:45.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Biking Tactics YouTube channel.
    I didn't find any pistol drills, but I did learn about some common race strategies used in the Tour De France.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I didn't find any pistol drills, but I did learn about some common race strategies used in the Tour De France.
    Sonuva....

Well played though.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

I'll start with the FAST drill and Bill Drill.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I like this idea. Been looking to get a shot timer myself and start some drills such as these. Now to figure out which shot timer...
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Try "The Test"
    B8 Pistol repair Center
    From low ready
    10 Yards
    10 Rounds
    10 Seconds
    I use this to guage my skill level with a specific pistol and it's also good to determine if you need to drift your sights after installing new ones.
    Try for scores of 90 or above. It makes you make use of the time you have.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I really like the timer. Simple to use and worked great. I did these at 7.5 yds. Seeing later they are supposed to be done at 7 yds.

I started cold (did not shoot at all prior) with the FAST drill (concealed), hands to sides, messed up my reload, and scored a 9.38s.
    I did it about ten more times and my best was a 6.78s.
    Just for kicks I once unconcealed the iwb pistol and owb mag and shot a 6.02.

As for the Bill Drill, I did it at 7.5 yds from concealment and hands down my sides.

I found later it's normally done from an open holster, not concealed. Anyway my first try was 3.14s. 2nd try 2.96s. After many attempts my best was 2.95s. Well, there was a 2.66s but I had two hits out of the A zone so they don't count.

I also checked some split times. At 3 yds I was getting good hits shooting as fast as I could, between .19-.25s. Moving back 10 yds I found split times around .35 to be the max speed and still get decent hits.

We like to think a full size 9mm has near-zero recoil but racing for faster split times honestly against your own clock proves otherwise.

Thanks for advice. I think I'll always train with a timer now.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-26-17 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    The humbler also called the 700.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast