Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can you tell if an AK is grossly overgassed?

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    I am new to AKs and this is my only one. I ordered a replacement recoil spring to see if it makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    Atlantic does not indicate who made the DDR AK-47's for them. They are built on East German kits (good) using US receiver (good or bad depending on who made it) and US chrome lined barrels (generally not as good as original AK barrels). The size of the gas port hole in the gas block used on this rifle was set at the factory. Therefore, if the rifle is getting too much or too little gas, that would be caused by whoever drilled the gas hole in the barrel. In theory you could weld up the gas hole in the gas block and redrill. However, that's not a common solution. I think the recoil spring is the best first step. Did you order the Wolff extra power recoil spring?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    The solution to AK recoil is to spend more time shooting FALs, HK91s and M1As. I always thought the AK was pretty tame to shoot.
    HaHa, this ^ I am always somewhat baffled about talk of taming AR or AK recoil.

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Atlantic does not indicate who made the DDR AK-47's for them. They are built on East German kits (good) using US receiver (good or bad depending on who made it) and US chrome lined barrels (generally not as good as original AK barrels). The size of the gas port hole in the gas block used on this rifle was set at the factory. Therefore, if the rifle is getting too much or too little gas, that would be caused by whoever drilled the gas hole in the barrel. In theory you could weld up the gas hole in the gas block and redrill. However, that's not a common solution. I think the recoil spring is the best first step. Did you order the Wolff extra power recoil spring?
    It was made on a Morrissey receiver with a chrome 4150 barrel which was one of the main reasons I purchased it. I ended up ordering the ALG spring for it instead of the Wolff XP spring. http://www.primaryarms.com/alg-defen...-spring-04-231

There are a couple other things I was having problems with also. First, could cheek slap indicate a worn recoil spring? The cheek slap on this thing was atrocious. Also, a couple of new Croatian magazines hit the center support rivet right above the magazine release but from what I've read that is pretty common to those mags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by black22rifle View Post
    It was made on a Morrissey receiver with a chrome 4150 barrel which was one of the main reasons I purchased it. I ended up ordering the ALG spring for it instead of the Wolff XP spring. http://www.primaryarms.com/alg-defen...-spring-04-231

There are a couple other things I was having problems with also. First, could cheek slap indicate a worn recoil spring? The cheek slap on this thing was atrocious. Also, a couple of new Croatian magazines hit the center support rivet right above the magazine release but from what I've read that is pretty common to those mags.
    Cheek slap is common for those new to AK's. The trick is to use a proper grip and cheek weld.
    Make sure your cheek is actually firmly against the stock, and that you are pulling the rifle tight into your shoulder.

Since you are new to AK's I would have to say you aren't really qualified to determine if it is over gassed or not. The best AK's and AK parts are made overseas, generally american made AKs and AK parts are of much lesser quality that commie/foreign parts. To the extent that some american made AK's and AK parts are actually dangerous. The only current properly made AK's are made in places like Russia, Bulgaria, China, etc.
    Your gun could have a bastardized american gas port, but since you are new to AK's I would probably just chalk it up to you being used to AR's. Shoot a properly build Russian or Bulgarian AK before you really set your mind on how an AK should shoot.
    Your DDR is basically like a PSA Freedom line AR, the heart and guts of it are cheap american parts, the only German parts on it have pretty much nothing to do with how the rifles action functions.. If you want the Colt 6920 of the AK world, buy an Arsenal or Saiga.

AK's recoil much more than AR's, and the muzzle flip is more erratic. Cheek slap is indicative of improper cheek weld. For Example, a 7.62x39 is a pea shooter compared to large caliber hunting rifles like the 308, 30-06, 7mm, 300 win mag etc.. I never got cheek slap from any of those larger calibers because I use proper cheek weld.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If your AK is actually really over gassed, then your rear trunion and the back of your BCG would probably be beat to shit, and I am guessing it is not.
    I am assuming you are just used to the recoil an AR gives.. AK's in 7.62x39 have more energy than an AR in 5.56, if you want an AK that recoils like your AR, you would have to get an AK74 in either 5.45x39 or 5.56x45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    . It was spitting out cases 1-2 o'clock and the rifle felt like it was jarring everytime it went off.

I'm used to shooting ar 15s I was not happy considering I waited almost a year to shoot it.

AK's don't recoil or eject brass anything like an AR. They are completely different actions. You can't compare the ejection pattern of an AR to an AK to determine if it is overgassed.
    AK's have a fixed ejector and naturally eject brass about 30 feet to 1-2 O-clock. The Ejector on an AK is part of the rail that the BCG slides on, when the BCG recoils back, the brass casing hits the stationary extension of the rail which is why brass from an AK is ejected so far. The AK ejector and Glock Ejector are basically the same design in principal.

Ask one of your friends if you can shoot one of their Foreign made AK's for comparison.
    If you live in the south west region we could meet up sometime, you could shoot some of my russian and bulgarian AK's for comparison, and I could inspect your rifle and tell you if I think it is actually overgassed or showing signs of abnormal wear.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 10-27-17 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amd5007 View Post
    Is it an AK? Then, yes. It's over gassed! Hah.

But seriously, every factory AK by design is over gassed to a certain degree. Some more than others.

This is the truth.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    I recently took an AK I purchased last year to the range and I think the rifle is grossly over gassed. It's a DDR ak47 I purchased from Atlantic firearms and I was shooting Wolf military classic 123gr FMJ. It was spitting out cases 1-2 o'clock and the rifle felt like it was jarring everytime it went off. It was unpleasant to say the least and since I'm used to shooting ar 15s I was not happy considering I waited almost a year to shoot it.

My first guess was that the recoil spring was probably just old and needs to be replaced. How hard would it be to check the gas port size on it? Are the gas blocks pressed on?
    How can you tell ?
    With an AK you just pull the trigger bro ...

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a normal AK to me. I would recommend replacing the recoil spring though, I shot a WASR for two years as my first AK, then when I picked up a Draco pistol I noticed the WASR recoil spring felt pretty weak by comparison. Unsure if it just softened up over time or if it was that bad out of the box.

If your carrier isn't slamming the back of the receiver, it's running fine. A 7.62x39 round has about 1/3 more energy than a 5.56 round so no way any AK will be as soft shooting as a properly set up AR15. I also have a Saiga AK in 5.56 and it's a pussycat compared to the WASR & Draco. Although it does have a pretty stout three chamber brake compared to just a Tapco slotted brake on the WASR and no device on the Draco.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast