View Poll Results: Which Generation of Glock Trigger do you prefer?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the new Gen 5 Glock trigger

30 65.22%
  • I prefer the trigger from previous generations

6 13.04%
  • I don't have a preference, or use an after market or modified trigger

10 21.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Trigger: Do you prefer Gen 5 or previous generations?

Feedback Score

Glock Trigger: Do you prefer Gen 5 or previous generations?

I hate to admit it. I looked forward to owning a Gen 5 Glock 17 just because they did away with the finger grooves.

After firing six magazine fulls through my Gen 5 G17, I decided I just don't care for the Gen 5 trigger, and I traded my Gen 5 for a Gen 4 like my other Gen 4.

I suspect most people replying to this thread will vehemently disagree with me, but here's my reasoning:

Yes, originally, when I purchased my first Glock more than 20 years ago, I laughed and told everyone "I like everything about Glock but the trigger." So, finally Glock has addressed that trigger with modifications to the design that give it a very short take-up and a crisp release (but somewhat less of a "two-stage trigger" feel but that could be my perception).

Thing is, over the years I've gotten so used to the "old" Glock trigger that I've learned to use that long take-up as time to get my sights on target one last time before the "break" that fires the pistol. I fire my Gen 4's quickly and accurately. Several times during my second range session with the Gen 5 I actually fired before I was quite ready. I didn't like that at all.

I considered keeping both Gen 4's and a Gen 5 or two and just remind myself of the slight difference in training and manipulation to handle the different trigger pulls of the two.

Reluctantly, I decided that's more trouble than it's worth: I'd rather get used to one trigger or the other and have all my Glocks the same.

So, that put me in a position to have either all Gen 5's or all previous generations. I opted for the latter, since getting rid of what I already have to acquire nothing but Gen 5's would entail a lot of time and expense, not to mention the fact that so far Glock has only come out with 9mm's in the Gen 5's. Do I learn the new Gen 5 trigger and not shoot my 40 for a while hoping I can trade it off for a Gen 5 Glock 22 at some point?

I opted not to wait. I'd rather keep my Gen 4's and concentrate on practice and training rather than another rollercoaster of "sell this gun to buy that gun" so that all my Glocks eventually have the Gen 5 trigger. Since I've owned previous generations of Glocks for more than 20 years I've opted "not" to join the new breed of Glock trigger pull.

A buddy of mine, a retired LEO, actually agrees with me. He says after trying out someone else's Gen 5 he's opted to buy a Gen 4 instead.

What's your impression?

Do you prefer the Gen 5 trigger pull or the Gen 4 and earlier triggers?

EDITED TO ADD: I like polls like this because there is no "right" answer. I'm posting so that people will give their opinions and experiences and that will help a potential buyer decide which is right for him/her.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-23-17 at 11:11.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Gen5. 100%.

Less take up. Lighter break. It’s great. Nailing a C Zone IPSC offhand at 160 yards right out of the box. It’s my precious.

Feedback Score
    Honestly I prefer the Glock NY1 trigger. At first it was forced upon me by my Chief Deputy when I was in LE. But the more I carried it the more I understood it and eventually fell in love with it.

I currently own a G30S which is awaiting night sights and a NY1 trigger.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I try to run minus connectors but honestly if it is 5.5 or thereabouts, I dont care. Gen 5 trigger doesnt seem any different.

1911s are for people who want trigger jobs and frog hair triggers.

Honestly, all glock triggers suck. You just work around it. Get used to it. They are at least consistent.

There are oodles of guns with better triggers than a glock but thats where it stops.

Feedback Score
    I think as a group, gun owners either are Glock fanboys giving them too much credit or we hate them. I'm in the middle. It isn't my favorite, but I shoot them for logistics reasons. I actually prefer H&Ks, but I can't walk into the local shop and purchase parts, magazines, holsters, etc. magazines are $50+.

I've got 1911s too. You can get nearly anything for a 1911 anywhere, but they are such an antiquated design and no two are the same. They can be fussy as well as limited.

So I'm left with Glock as my staple. I'm not in love with it. But I shoot my guns, not love on them.

Yep all generation Glock triggers suck, but who cares? You just have to overcome it...like factory AR triggers suck. Factory AK sights suck. Hell, factory Glock sights suck but we can make them work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Really not much of a difference in trigger pulls between generations. The Gen.5 feel mushy like the factory ( - ) connector. Not a fan of the mushy trigger but it's really no big deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer the trigger of my Gen5 19 to that of my Gen 3 and Gen 4. The 5 is smoother and has of a gritty feeling during the pull. The wall after taking the slack is less pronounced so it’s more of a rolling break, which I prefer to a hard wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have a well used gen3 17 and the trigger on my Gen5 G19 fells about the same. Nothing special, just a regular old trigger.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    The main thing I like about my Gen 5 G19's trigger is that the front sight doesn't move after the break. The somewhat rolling break on a factory stock Gen 5 trigger suprises me *a little* more as to when it will break. The aftermarket Apex Tactical trigger kit among other things seemed to remove *most but not all* of the rolling break, creep, sponge, etc.

Feedback Score
    102 rounds through the gun and you gave up on it?
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast