Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 MOA rail or not.....

Feedback Score

20 MOA rail or not.....

I'm picking up a new Nosler 280AI tomorrow and would like feedback on using a 20moa rail on it. I have an extra due to them being backordered and forgetting to cancel it.

I am using a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with a fine duplex on it so that is somewhat limiting to real distance shooting and running calculations. I will end up upgrading down the road but for now this will have to do the trick.

I have a set of Talley lighweights laying around so I could save some money from not buying new rings and sending the rail back for return. That said, I'm not sold on the Talley's....

I'm in Virginia and the max hunting distance I'll be able to use on our farm is 600 yards with the overwhelming majority of shots being 200 yard and closer.

I don't think it's necessary for that caliber and distance. I also don't think it could hurt.

Thanks for any feedback.

Feedback Score
    I would go for it. It will keep you away from the extreme ends of travel. And who knows? You may find a chance to take it out a lil further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    that's what i'm thinking. i think the pro's outweigh the con's to have it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    There's almost never a reason not to use a 20 MOA rail, but you won't need it at those distance if the cartridge is even close to flat shooting and your scope has a decent amount of travel. By default, scopes ship centered in their travel so you have half the stated adjustment available to you; a 20 MOA rail gets you some of that adjustment range back. If your scope doesn't have a reasonable amount of adjustment it's possible you'll run into problems, but it would need to have so little travel that I'd have to work to find a scope that shitty...probably.

Your Viper has 65 MOA of adjustment. From the factory you'll have 32.5 MOA of adjustment in any one direction. A 20 MOA rail is fine, but a 40 MOA rail would not as 40 > 32.5.
    Last edited by OrbitalE; 10-23-17 at 23:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with always get a 20moa rail. No reason not too IMO.

You never know and might get a chance to ring that 280 out some day.

Feedback Score
    I've decided to give it a go without the 20moa rail but to also not return it. I will replace the scope in the long run so better to hold on to it for when I have one that I can dial with and really take this setup to it's full potential.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don't see the point to be honest. If I dial all the way up on my XRS I'm out past a mile. If I'm going that far it'll be with something bigger than a 6.5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    I don't see the point to be honest. If I dial all the way up on my XRS I'm out past a mile. If I'm going that far it'll be with something bigger than a 6.5
    Toward the ends of adjustment range more stress is placed on the adjustment mechanisms. Staying away from the extremes is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Toward the ends of adjustment range more stress is placed on the adjustment mechanisms. Staying away from the extremes is a good thing.

With quality glass that shouldn't really be a concern. And again, unless you'll actually use close to all of your adjustment range it's rather pointless.

Feedback Score
    You'd be surprised about some "quality optics". They may track perfectly for the first ten mils then they won't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast