Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 MOA rail or not.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For my 20" .308 bolt gun, I had to replace my base with the 20 MOA after getting to where I could shoot at distance. Wish I'd have bought it in the first place. That said, I know nothing about 280 AI.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    You'd be surprised about some "quality optics". They may track perfectly for the first ten mils then they won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's an entirely different conversation. Ten mils is nowhere near max adjustment on any glass I've ever had.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    That's an entirely different conversation. Ten mils is nowhere near max adjustment on any glass I've ever had.
    But we still have no reason NOT to go with a 20 MOA rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    With quality glass that shouldn't really be a concern. And again, unless you'll actually use close to all of your adjustment range it's rather pointless.
    A system at its bounds will perform worse than a system well within its performance envelope. With a scope it's not just the vertical adjustment, but horizontal - dial some windage then see how far you can go vertical or what the quality is like at the furthest vertical adjustment you can dial.

When you're not using a sloped base or mount, you are within the center of the adjustment range at your zero distance usually (assume 100yds). That's just wasting the features you paid for, IMO. My Minox has 28 mils: I would only have 14 mils of usable elevation if I didn't have a 20 MOA base, I should have 20 mils usable now. I considered having 40 MOA total slope so that I could dial 1 mile without holding, but I rarely get out there. Maybe I'll regret that.
    Last edited by OrbitalE; 10-27-17 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Consider your mount. If you compound 20MOA cant with 20MOA cant you're going to have a bad time.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActivity View Post
    Consider your mount. If you compound 20MOA cant with 20MOA cant you're going to have a bad time.
    Depends on the optic. Some of the S&B PMII optics only have ~65 MOA external adjustment through the knob, but much more internally - S&B recommends ~40 MOA of cant to take full advantage of internal travel. On any high end glass, 40 MOA cant will get you the most amount of usable elevation you can get. My Minox would have something like ~26 mils of usable elevation with 40 MOA of cant.
    Last edited by OrbitalE; 11-01-17 at 22:54.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12