Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock G19: The Once and Future King?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Question Glock G19: The Once and Future King?

It seems there isn't a month that goes by that there isn't a new "Glock Killer"

But how many have come and gone? How many had potential, hype, buy me, try me, best thing that ever was … only to cavitate into anonymity or implode around the hype?

I came out of a post SIG phase in carrying CZ PCR 2008-ish and bought into the M&P 1.0 hype-train … only to watch that spiral into trigger, barrel accuracy issues, etc. It wasn't platform ending or as bad as, say, the P320 drop snafu, but it really seemed to put the brakes on its adoption.

The list of challnegers is long and while the Glock may not intrinsically be perfect it reigns to this day … and I don't expect that is likely to change.

In no particular order and likely missing many:

S&W SW99
    Walther P99
    HK VP9
    Canik TP9
    P250
    P320
    PPQ/PPQ M2
    Caracal
    Steyr M9
    Beretta APX
    CZ P07
    XD/XDM
    FN FNS
    FN 509

(Whats missing?)

I was part of the run-around looking for the rightful heir … and there have been many rallying cries among industry celebs/experts to the new form-factor (and for poptentially a number of reasons: philosophical, economic, emotional, etc). Even here at nailed-down M4C … amongst many of the most admired members and SMEs … the M&P9, the CZ P07, HK VP9 and now the M&P 2.0 and CZ P10C.

So, as we now stand looking at the Glock/S&W/CZ contenders duking it out again … is either of the contenders really capable of dethroning the Glock?

What will it really take?

Can it be done with 'same-as' pricing?

How much better will it really have to be?

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    There’s no one glock killer imo

People choose them for different reasons, what may sway one may not sway another

Simplicity,ease of use, simple internals, aftermarket support

M2.0 is close to sitting next to my Glock’s but not replacing them with the new 2.0c out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Glock has and will continue to reign King of the polymer pistol world. The G19 checks too many boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    "We Live in a Glock World"

'Nuff Said.

Although I personally prefer the 17. The 19's grip hump just feels all wrong for me, like it's in the wrong place compared to the 17 or something. But you can't argue with the near universal consensus that the 19 is the best compromise between concealibility and capacity.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    IMO before the Gen5 there were other more enticing options that offered more for the price point such as an ambi slide stop. Now that the Gen5 checks all the boxes and you dont need to spend the extra cash to remove the finger groves, I say its the King.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    People only buy pistols that aren’t Glock 9mms because they want to be different - a sobering thought considering their life may hang in the balance.

This whole “grip doesn’t feel right” “doesn’t point right” thing for the Glock has never been something I have seen folks who have 1,000 rounds down the pipe talk about. It seems to be a pot-belly gun store troglodyte ad hominem for wanting to be “different”
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-25-17 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    People only buy pistols that aren’t Glock 9mms because they want to be different - a sobering thought considering their life may depend on it.

This whole “grip doesn’t feel right” “doesn’t point right” thing for the Glock has never been something I have seen folks who have 1,000 rounds down the pipe talk about. It seems to be a pot-belly gun store troglodyte hominem for wanting to be “different”
    We've covered this before, but I just prefer how the 17 sits in the hand for me. Nothing wrong with the 19 I would just never choose it over the 17 because I have stubby fingers and the grip of the 17 is longer making the hump lower where I can actually wrap my fingers around the 17 better. I can't get a good grip on the 19 because the grip is wider where I don't need it to be.

It may not seem significant to you, but for the same reason I would never own the .45 caliber Glock: grip too fat. YMMV and we can agree to disagree but I ditched my 19's for 17's years ago and haven't looked back.

No one will ever be able to talk me down on this point. Don't even try. It's like I know AR Pmags are supposed to be the shizzle, but I don't like them and don't use them.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-25-17 at 15:55.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Glock.

The end.

Everything else is just itch-scratching and wine sniffing.

Also, in before:

>b-but muh g-grip angle
    >b-but muh "ergonomics"
    >b-but muh "comfort"
    >b-but the trigger

Buy Glock. Shoot it. None of the the above listed amateur-hour gripes are quantifiable "issues." They're attitude problems.

You start "outshooting" the gun? Good. Get yourself a KKM barrel.

This is literally the easiest decision a potential handgun purchaser could possibly make.

You wanna throw bullets or put on a ****ing fashion show?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    We've covered this before, but I just prefer how the 17 sits in the hand for me. Nothing wrong with the 19 I would just never choose it over the 17 because I have stubby fingers and the grip of the 17 is longer making the hump lower where I can actually wrap my fingers around the 17 better. I can't get a good grip on the 19 because the grip is wider where I don't need it to be.

It may not seem significant to you, but for the same reason I would never own the .45 caliber Glock: grip too fat. YMMV and we can agree to disagree but I ditched my 19's for 17's years ago and haven't looked back.
    Confused

Isn’t a Glock 17 chambered for 9mm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Confused

Isn’t a Glock 17 chambered for 9mm?
    Why are you confused? I was comparing grip sizes.

I also ditched my Gen 3's for Gen 4's because the Gen 4 grip is just that much thinner.

You like the 19 over the 17. I get it. Goody for you. Both of us have had thousands of rounds through our pistols. We have our preference. Nothing more than that. YMMV. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong.

I won't argue the 19 is king. No dispute there. You just won't see me with one as long as I can get my hands on a 17.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-25-17 at 16:01.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast