Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock G19: The Once and Future King?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    My preference is for the G17 as well, only because it's still relatively compact for a "full-sized" handgun.

The differences are irrelevant; if you want a 9mm, the only viable options on the ****ing planet are Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Why are you confused? I was comparing grip sizes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    My preference is for the G17 as well, only because it's still relatively compact for a "full-sized" handgun.

The differences are irrelevant; if you want a 9mm, the only viable options on the ****ing planet are Glocks.
    End of story.

Feedback Score
    The Walther PPQ M1 is arguably a better handgun in a few specific criteria: fully ambidextrous, fantastic stock trigger.

Overall, it has the best ergonomics of any handgun that I've ever trained with. Were the armed professional world centered around a given pistol, I would consider a PPQ along with a Glock 19/17. The again, as an institution, the interoperability of the Glock platform would easily supplant the individual user's needs.

So, really, I just argued FOR the Glock by the end of my wandering astray.

Which is exactly how I always end up whenever I enter a thought exercise about handguns. Glock is Home. I always return.

ETA: they are even addressing the ambi question with Gen 5 having the ambi slide stop. Plus the mag release can be reversed...
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 10-25-17 at 16:21. Reason: ambidexterity

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Why are you confused? I was comparing grip sizes.

I also ditched my Gen 3's for Gen 4's because the Gen 4 grip is just that much thinner.

You like the 19 over the 17. I get it. Goody for you. Both of us have had thousands of rounds through our pistols. We have our preference. Nothing more than that. YMMV. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong.

I won't argue the 19 is king. No dispute there. You just won't see me with one as long as I can get my hands on a 17.
    Where did I say anything about a Glock 19 dude?

Feedback Score

The Glock is the "only viable option"? That's a bold and misinformed statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Where did I say anything about a Glock 19 dude?
    I was replying to your statement that caring about the grip's size and angle somehow means a person is a gun store commando who hasn't shot pistols much or has never had any training. I LOL'ed at first then took it kinda personal. Sorry if I took your post the wrong way.

Nobody criticizes 1911 owners who prefer a flat mainspring housing over an arched one. I prefer a Glock 17 over a 19 because it's primarily the same thing: grip preference.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-25-17 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

An excellent observation. Minor accuracy factors aside (and none that matter in terms of the role) they all shoot the same bullet.

All of the "it's new" revolve around minutia.

Also, if the 19 is King, the 17 is certainly the Knight of the order.

Anyhow, as to the original question … what would it take?

Frankly, I think in large part Glock just won the dimensions lottery early and every competitor that tries ultimately faces the conundrum … "we can't have the same measurements without having to admit the Glocks already have it right." They all have to "try and be better" … and then aren't.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    The Glock is the "only viable option"? That's a bold and misinformed statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In fact, this is exactly what the thread is about.

What is a true contender and what does it need to succeed?

To date even the best efforts amount to nothing more than niche players … unless you consider the P320 and … well … that has it's own issues, it seems.

Or do you think that is the actual sum of it?

Is Glock not viable for you and do you think your chosen alternative is legitimately capable of being a wide spread replacement?

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

That is why I turned one of my g17's into a 19l

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A G19 to me is like a G43 for most.

I like G17 as a result but unless there is a radical, and I mean radical, design that exceeds the Glocks then it will be a Glock world probably past most of us are dead and buried.

People can like what they want and buy what they want. I have a few non Glock guns because they excel in one or two niche areas where a Glock doesn't (but fall short in totality) or just because I wanted it.

But to really split hairs over it is kind of lame and indicative of one who doesn't really rely on a handgun everyday.

There is a culture of CCW people who treat guns (and knives) as fashion statements. Keep rocking in the free world. If it can successfully fire a bullet then it should work should the less than likely occur.

But if I was told I had to live in the jungle for 40 years and wander until I was granted passage to the promised land; then I am taking a Glock.

Not a Revolver. Not an HK. Not a 1911. Not a Makarov. Not a Sig. Not some "new" gun.

A Glock. And wont think twice.

Honestly, I could part with every last gun to my name as long as I could have a good, solid Gen 3 G17.

If I have no heirs, once I hit 60; I am unloading ALLLLLLL my shit save for my G17.

So in 2042, be on the lookout on the EE.

All proceeds will go towards a mural van and a crazy 20 yo Redhead gymnast.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast