Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock G19: The Once and Future King?

Feedback Score
    The most amazing thing to me is when a manufacturer comes out with a gun that is not a competition at all.
    Say the RP9.
    You have had decades to get your act together. So bring out a bigger, less reliable, crappy trigger gun that breaks.
    What possible outcome did they expect.

Or say the APX.
    Let’s bring out a gun that knows it needs to kill the G19 to get serious attention. It needs s fantastic trigger, great sights, easy to RDS, equal or better sizing, etc.
    we get a gun a little bigger than the 19, unknown if a full sized will come out, with a trigger guard so big a true compact or sub compact version seems iffy, with non standard sights, a weird mag release tab that jacks up mag holders availability, a design that jacks up RDS mounting, and a long history of failed models with little factory expensive parts availability, and less aftermarket.
    They really think they are going to be a major hit?

The G19 is the sine que non of compact fighting pistols.
    It already has the high ground.

You must match or beat it in size and ergs.
    You must have better factory sights with a standard size already with an after market.
    It needs the easy button for RDS.
    It needs to fall in a family with full sized Comp/service/offensive and SC siblings that are going to be a reality.
    It can’t be a 50$ per magazine gun.
    There has to be some holster/accessory availability.
    You can’t be the most expensive factory part history.
    You can’t have a history of spotty parts availability.
    You have to beat their price.
    You must have a fit and feel widely perceived as good.
    You can’t be widely perceived as ugly.

If all those ducks are not in a row,
    You might have a decent to great gun that is really nice.
    But it is not going to become the dominant model.
    It may remain a little seen foot note at best, or fall into obscurity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    They also jumped on the .40 and .357sig bandwagons when those cartridges were being adopted by a lot of folks.

I'd also ad 10mm to that. If I'm not mistaken they has a prototype by late 80s and sales by 1990 or so

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I think you stated this better than I did in an earlier post (#66 on my 'puter)

...Additionally, they offer blue label pricing to LE reserves, firemen, EMT's, active duty military, reserve and guard soldiers, and retired military. That is a good hunk of folks they have built, or are building goodwill with.

As I said in an earlier post, up to the recent past, everyone else has been playing catch up. There are now several mfgrs that are pushing Glock to up it's game. We shall see.
    The blue label program was a driving factor in my Glock accumulation, and still is today. For me, it's a phone call to reserve a gun, a 75 minute drive to Austin, and $420ish OTD for a brand new Glock (most models). And I can buy two per year. Of course, it wasn't really $420ish...it was always closer to $550 once the night sights and extra magazines were thrown in, but hey, still a good buy. Glock was definitely smart marketing to us as they have. And in all honesty, I really appreciate them supporting the first responder/military community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Now it seems like everybody is on the same page. I hope learning has occurred if not each of us gaining a small amount of perspective from others'.

Here's the consensus from a bunch of guys on the internet:

Glock is the standard.

Some people don't care to look outside their Glock-centric box (just like 1911 guys or revolver guys in the 80s and 90s when Glock was the new kid on the block). That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Glock has the best logistical infrastructure in the US.

If Glock works for you, you're money ahead to choose Glock.

Some people play more than shoot; never mastering a gun before their ADD and mental masturbation kicks in causing them to jump to the next big thing.

If the ergonomics of a gun don't work for you, it will show up via quantifiable metrics.

Ergonomics are misunderstood by many gun owners.

You're not an idiot for choosing something other than Glock.

Improvement in polymer-framed striker-fired guns are evolutionary rather than revolutionary today.
    Is there anything to add before this one is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    level headed post
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Here is a pretty good summary of the Glock 19, for me. It's the handgun I grab, out of all the handguns I own when I expect to be in places where if things go bad, they go bad in a big way. And I am to the point that I do it without even thinking. Had to run to Walmart super late on Saturday night, threw the G19 on without thinking I was not wearing a belt.... Looked pretty silly trying to wide walk into the bedroom to grab one.

The Glock 19 is a great first handgun, a great teaching tool, easy to pickup and be efficient with, but it takes range sessions and cases of ammo to master, and to see why it's as relied upon by so many.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I spent some time with the G19 Gen 5 today. 400 rounds. Reliable during the 400 rounds and more accurate than i could shoot it. I have large hands and have been more accustomed to the G17 and 21. All of the positive attributes previously mentioned re. the G19 Gen5 are true especially where concealability is concerned. That being said, the cut out at the bottom of the grip hurts in a way that isn't an issue with the G19 Gen4. The experience was similar (in terms of the pain) to shooting a Colt 1911 Series 70 and getting hammer bite. Great guns for sure but sharp pain at certain points of the hand is distracting.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    I spent some time with the G19 Gen 5 today. 400 rounds. Reliable during the 400 rounds and more accurate than i could shoot it. I have large hands and have been more accustomed to the G17 and 21. All of the positive attributes previously mentioned re. the G19 Gen5 are true especially where concealability is concerned. That being said, the cut out at the bottom of the grip hurts in a way that isn't an issue with the G19 Gen4. The experience was similar (in terms of the pain) to shooting a Colt 1911 Series 70 and getting hammer bite. Great guns for sure but sharp pain at certain points of the hand is distracting.
    I handled the Gen 5's for the very first time on Saturday, and I wanted to check out the front cutout to see how it hits me. Just handling it, it sat fine on my smaller hands on the G19. I feel though, that even for me it might be an issue under recoil. Due to the size of my hands I gravitate more towards G19 sized guns, as full size frames tend to rub the knuckle on my thumb while shooting like my G17 gen 3, and P30L did this weekend.

I need to rent a Gen 5 and see if I have the same rubbing issue on the G17, and to see if the G19 bits my pinky under live fire. Other than those questions I have like you mentioned, I really love how the Gen 5's feel and the features that they come with.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I handled the Gen 5's for the very first time on Saturday, and I wanted to check out the front cutout to see how it hits me. Just handling it, it sat fine on my smaller hands on the G19. I feel though, that even for me it might be an issue under recoil. Due to the size of my hands I gravitate more towards G19 sized guns, as full size frames tend to rub the knuckle on my thumb while shooting like my G17 gen 3, and P30L did this weekend.

I need to rent a Gen 5 and see if I have the same rubbing issue on the G17, and to see if the G19 bits my pinky under live fire. Other than those questions I have like you mentioned, I really love how the Gen 5's feel and the features that they come with.
    I have basically a medium/large hand. During actual firing the cutout does not bother me at all. A couple guys I know with xl hands just take and knock the sharp edges down. That usually solves the issue if you have it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post

Isn't the frame on the 19 and 17 the same other than length of grip and dust over? I cannot fathom how one would rub your thumb but not the other. Care to show in photos? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Isn't the frame on the 19 and 17 the same other than length of grip and dust over? I cannot fathom how one would rub your thumb but not the other. Care to show in photos? Thanks.

Yes I will take a picture next time I am at the range. My G17 Gen 3 and HK both rub the same spot next to my thumb knuckle near the webbing of my firing hand. Does not happen on the G19, 26, or 43 for me.

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast