Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Aimpoint ever going to design an optic comparable to an RMR?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Not trying to be an ass, but who cares?

If you need a red dot on a pistol, the RMR is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageBrew84 View Post
    I'm curious as to whether anyone has an answer to this? It seems that with the current trends of pistol optics becoming increasingly popular that Aimpoint would be coming to the table with their own platform. Instead they decide to continue miniaturizing an already incredibly reliable line of rifle optics when it would seem that they could put some of that R&D into a pistol format.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Not trying to be an ass, but who cares?

If you need a red dot on a pistol, the RMR is the answer.
    I suppose my curiosity as to why one of the biggest names in the red dot industry didn't have any skin in a game that seems to have taken off quite rapidly in the recent years. Blame it on my millennial hipsterism...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageBrew84 View Post
    I suppose my curiosity as to why one of the biggest names in the red dot industry didn't have any skin in a game that seems to have taken off quite rapidly in the recent years. Blame it on my millennial hipsterism...
    I don't think Aimpoint will release something until it's ready for the market. Haven't we already forget all the battery contact issues RMRs were having until they released the Type 2 just few months ago?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    I don't think Aimpoint will release something until it's ready for the market. Haven't we already forget all the battery contact issues RMRs were having until they released the Type 2 just few months ago?
    I think there is a lot of truth to this. Aimpoint pretty much owns the RDS market segment for long guns. They should not risk that business history by releasing any system that isn’t ready simply cause they have to have one to match Trijicon.

I’m sure if they ever release an even smaller variant of the T series it will be a hit and many, myself included, will consider it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I think there is a lot of truth to this. Aimpoint pretty much owns the RDS market segment for long guns. They should not risk that business history by releasing any system that isn’t ready simply cause they have to have one to match Trijicon.

I’m sure if they ever release an even smaller variant of the T series it will be a hit and many, myself included, will consider it.
    I had the same question as SavageBrew84 so I went to Sweden last month, met with the Aimpoint CEO and asked him that directly. They've been in the RDS business for 40 years they sure do know what they're doing.
    Last edited by mebiuspower; 11-13-17 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Shrinking the T/H's would be a bad idea.

The T/H series has a smaller field of view and is much less forgiving on presentation than an RMR.

Attachment 48689

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Shrinking the T/H's would be a bad idea.

The T/H series has a smaller field of view and is much less forgiving on presentation than an RMR.

Attachment 48689
    Agree, but they need something with a smaller footprint that the T/H series. If they had a similar field of view as the T/H in a shorter in length and height above the slide it would be a hit IMO.

The RMR is definitely not CCW optimized. Those ears tend to protrude and print for me. I’m sure the extra 30# I’m carrying around my waist isn’t the issue . Not that the little bump screams gun or anything, but a rounded window would work better.

Half moon about the height of the RMR with of the same OAL and a sealed emitter would be cats meow.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Agree, but they need something with a smaller footprint that the T/H series. If they had a similar field of view as the T/H in a shorter in length and height above the slide it would be a hit IMO.

The RMR is definitely not CCW optimized. Those ears tend to protrude and print for me. I’m sure the extra 30# I’m carrying around my waist isn’t the issue . Not that the little bump screams gun or anything, but a rounded window would work better.

Half moon about the height of the RMR with of the same OAL and a sealed emitter would be cats meow.
    From my understanding the ears were specifically designed as pillars to take impacts and move the stress of those impacts away from the glass and down the sides of those pillars. I have seen other red dots on pistols crack the glass at 12 o'clock for that exact reason-impacts to the top of the dot were transmitted into the glass and caused cracking.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Correct. Generally speaking, arcs are stronger than straight beams under loading.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    From my understanding the ears were specifically designed as pillars to take impacts and move the stress of those impacts away from the glass and down the sides of those pillars. I have seen other red dots on pistols crack the glass at 12 o'clock for that exact reason-impacts to the top of the dot were transmitted into the glass and caused cracking.
    This is my understanding as well. Caveat being that I don’t think the RMR was intended/designed for pistols. So the impact energy it needed to handle was considerably larger aka rifle falling on it vs a handgun falling.

I’m sure (hopeful) these are the issues that Aimpoint is addressing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast