Thread: Subcompact Trigger Technique

Feedback Score

Subcompact Trigger Technique

I was dry firing my G43 earlier and noticed how difficult it is (with my large hands on that small frame) to pull the trigger straight to the rear and have to sights aligned correctly as the striker releases. The thing just nose dives. I’ve been working on it, and think I may have found a fix. But I might be a moron.

What I’m doing is keeping my trigger finger touching the frame, as high up on the trigger as possible, and pulling from there . . . Instead of having the pad of my finger in the middle of the trigger as normal.

I don’t understand why but my sights move noticeably less when doing this. And I have similar results on my G19 as well.

Did I just stumble upon my body mechanics pairing up well to a certain grip shape with this technique, or am I being a numpty?

Feedback Score
    Well, you just adapt to the gun the best you can. I think your just dealing with the compromises of subcompact pistols.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    OP, are you running any type of mag extension? Slapping a TT +3 gives my hand enough purchase to not throw off traditional finger mechanics.

Feedback Score
    Think about the trigger on a track, or a string to your intended end-point of the trigger. Try pulling it straight to the bottom of the mag. then to the left, then to the right.
    Now do the same, but to your life-line/center of palm.
    Now do the same, but pull the trigger to the webbing of your hand (between thumb and trigger finger).

find the best (least sight twitch) and try some variations around that.

Dry fire a shit ton to find what works.

I had a similar problem transitioning to glock from M&P. I was all over the place. A couple thousand meaningful dry fires and 500rds of dry fire got me to a decent place.

What kind of groups do you shoot with the sub compact and full sized at what distance?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-26-17 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    I’m not great. With a G17/19, I can often shoot a 6-7 inch group at 10-15 yards, firing moderately fast. If I take as long as possible, I can get that down to 3 inches or so. No tack driving

Sounds like I just need to Shoot. The. Gun. LoL common theme around here. But sounds like I still have work to do figuring out how to hold this stupid little thing and be reasonably accurate. I probably only have 500 rds through it total, and none of them recent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I’m not great. With a G17/19, I can often shoot a 6-7 inch group at 10-15 yards, firing moderately fast. If I take as long as possible, I can get that down to 3 inches or so. No tack driving

Sounds like I just need to Shoot. The. Gun. LoL common theme around here. But sounds like I still have work to do figuring out how to hold this stupid little thing and be reasonably accurate. I probably only have 500 rds through it total, and none of them recent.
    Live fire is merely confirmation when getting trigger control down. Try dry firing until the gun doesn’t move at all when pulling the trigger one handed. You will need to try different ways of doing it till you find the pull that does it - then continue 25 dry fires a day minimum until you hit the range. You should see a drastic improvement.

Feedback Score
    Dry fire. Don't aim. Hard front sight focus. Bare wall. Repeat until the front sight doesn't move in the notch, start slow add speed as your eyes tell you you're ready. Then add something very small to aim at if you want. The key to dry fire, really all practice, is to be absolutely honest with yourself, and fix what you find.

Not knocking your potential method, but test it out. Can you do it without thought from the draw? What happens with gloves? With your heart rate up? With a cold/numb finger? One handed? Does it disengage the trigger safety everytime?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk