Thread: Hawk 982

Feedback Score

Hawk 982

Are there any Hawk 982 12 Gauge Shotgunners out there?

Feedback Score
    Yup. I bought two.

I sold one because the rear sight screws came apart and I had trouble finding replacements. Threads were damaged, too.
    Otherwise the gun worked fine and I wasn't gentle with it. I sold it for $100. Later I figured it I probably could have fixed it. Oh, well. I had another one.

I replaced the rear sight screws with better fasteners before it became an issue. Actually the screws were becoming damaged at the time I swapped them out.
    Again the gun has worked just fine. It has a light mounted and a Hogue 12 in LOP stock.

I'm not gentle with it, either.

I now only keep medium to low powered shotgun shells anymore because my shoulders and back are aging. (working out, working, shooting .308, shooting clays, etc)

There are some Italian shotshells like Fiocchi's nickel-plated 00 at about 1225 fps and 1 oz Italian slugs (Brenneke-style) at about 1400 fps that bridge the gap between "standard" and "low recoil" shotshells. Affordable, too.

However if the gun breaks I won't replace it. (I have one more 12 ga for clays) I'm also not buying any more 12ga buckshot or slugs. Once I use what I have I'm done with them.

I do still enjoy keeping proficient and shooting the pump shotgun but it won't be long that I'll be too old for it.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-30-17 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Yup. I bought two.

I sold one because the rear sight screws came apart and I had trouble finding replacements. Threads were damaged, too.
    Otherwise the gun worked fine and I wasn't gentle with it. I sold it for $100. Later I figured it I probably could have fixed it. Oh, well. I had another one.

I replaced the rear sight screws with better fasteners before it became an issue. Actually the screws were becoming damaged at the time I swapped them out.
    Again the gun has worked just fine. It has a light mounted and a Hogue 12 in LOP stock.

I'm not gentle with it, either.

I now only keep medium to low powered shotgun shells anymore because my shoulders and back are aging. (working out, working, shooting .308, shooting clays, etc)

There are some Italian shotshells like Fiocchi's nickel-plated 00 at about 1225 fps and 1 oz Italian slugs (Brenneke-style) at about 1400 fps that bridge the gap between "standard" and "low recoil" shotshells. Affordable, too.

However if the gun breaks I won't replace it. (I have one more 12 ga for clays) I'm also not buying any more 12ga buckshot or slugs. Once I use what I have I'm done with them.

I do still enjoy keeping proficient and shooting the pump shotgun but it won't be long that I'll be too old for it.
    "Wow, thanks Ron3 for responding. I got my Hawk 982 through Frontsight when I became a member, I'm like you getting a little old to be shooting a 12 gauge for the fun of it. I've never operated my Hawk so I don't have any idea about the recoil. Thanks for the tip on the Fiocchi nickel-plated oo and the 1 oz Italian slugs. In your opinon, do you believe the Hawk 982 is a good Home Defense Shotgun?"

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't just trust them enmasse but a vetted example of one, yes.

The more you shoot it with no trouble the more can trust it. (Duh, right?) 50 rnds of high brass - type ammo and another 50 low-brass is a good start.

Oh, watch the magazine end cap. It comes loose while shooting. Unless you really crank it down tight. Interestingly the gun will keep running even when it has become very loose.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again Ron3, what you're saying makes at lot of sense. A few other guys indicated that the Magazine Cap will loosen after a number of rounds. But, what do you expect from a Chinese Manufacture.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does the Hawk have a detent ball on the barrel locator ring, like an 870 Wingmaster (versus Express)?

Regardless, a wave washer, such as this might help: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extensio...nfo/SGET-WAVE/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Does the Hawk have a detent ball on the barrel locator ring, like an 870 Wingmaster (versus Express)?

Regardless, a wave washer, such as this might help: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extensio...nfo/SGET-WAVE/
    Nope, it does not. The cap has has some step-shaped ridges on it. It's not enough. Thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    Had mine for years. Never had a malfunctuon in thousands of rounds including hundreds of buckshot and slug. They make great t
    ruck guns or a backup primary.
    Mine wears a light and has accompanied me on many camping trips, gotten grit inside nooks and never failed to eject or fire.
    It also is based on an 870 so may parts are interchangeable with minor work. As was said once an example is properly vetted it's gtg.