Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with frankengun please

Feedback Score

Help with frankengun please

Hello. First post here. Looking for some help from the experts identifing this home made monster i just acquired. Long story short i had a shotgun listed on armslist for $300. This guy offered to trade the "frankengun" for the shotgun. He said he had bought it and it had issues and would not eject rounds. My thought was i couldn't go wrong. Even if the upper is fubar i still have a working lower and a bcg and whatever other parts i can get off it. He had sent me a pic of the gun but it didnt do justice to the home made "target rifle" someone has tried to build here. Im not an ar15 expert by any means. I own 2 ar's that i put the lowers together on but never messed with the uppers. Some of the stuff on this gun i acquired i have no idea about. If they are home made or custom or what. There is a a weight at the end of the barrle. A weight that attaches to the free floated hand guard. The handguard is a blue fiberglass round tube with holes in it to move the weight around. The upper has some kind of rail that seems to be held in place by epoxy of some sort. It has a 24" heavy barrel. The stock was filled with lead shot to make it balances (kinda) the whole thing is probably 15-16 pounds of ugly. And it short strokes on every shot. The bolt only comes back about 25% of the way when fired. Does not lock back on an empty mag. I switched out bcg, charging handle and lower with one of my other guns to eliminate possible issues other than the gas system. Still did the same thing. I assume it is an issue somewhere between the gas block and the bcg. Problem is i have no idea how i go about getting this fiberglass hand guard tube off to get to the gas block and gas tube. Ill pist pic. If someone might be able to help me get an idea how to get the tube off that would be wonderful. Also any id of these "custom mods" would be of great interest. Idk if they were made in someone's spare time at a machine shop or if they are bought from a company. Anyone wanting to make fun of the frankengun Thats fine too. It is an odd ball for sure lol. Im not upset at all that i made the trade. Im not out anything beside an old beat up shotgun and now i have a project to see if i can get this big hunk of ugly working and see if it can shoot. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jt91123; 11-25-17 at 17:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Send it to Bloomberg during next buy back.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Hot damn. I don't think there is much on that upper that wasn't made by some guy in his garage.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That's the strangest thing I have ever seen. You don't think it was made to be some sort of single shot deal do you? Thus no gas block to get to? Oh, wait you said the bolt moves some...

That is a true custom job, no doubt about it. I think that would win some sort of award in the 'gunsmith hall of shame' thread.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. If I were in your shoes I'd dump for what you could get. Buy a BCM and be an happy AR guy.

Feedback Score
    I'd salvage what I could and part it out. At most you're gonna need a handguard and gas block. He could have the port blocked. I'd check what buffer and spring he has in there too.

Feedback Score
    Ya it's interesting at best. The lowers seems to be all good and even has a clean trigger for milspec. The bcg looks good. Idk what i can do with the upper beside point and laugh and see if i can remove that tube handguard so i can get a look at the gas block and gas tube. Any ideas how that thing might come off? Here is a pic of where the handguard meets the receiver . Maybe it as simple as the gas block is just not aligned right. If i can get it running i might put a scope on it and see if it shoots...... After i rattle can it all black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jt91123; 11-25-17 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It looks like it is may be glued onto the barrel nut/silver thingy. Maybe use a Dremel cutting disc and cut a horizontal groove in the blue fiberglass at the silver thingy and then try and split it breaking loose whatever is holding it on.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 11-25-17 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would go down to the local police station and turn in all of you’re guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I would go down to the local police station and turn in all of you’re guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That might be your best bet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast