Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q Trash Panda - short range report

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Q Trash Panda - short range report

Today I took the brand new Q Trash Panda to the range to shoot it on a 10.5” 300blk build (BCM parts). Here are some quick thoughts...

I like the Quickie fast mount Cherry Bomb brake. It is a bit concussive but I’ve shot way worse. The threads to mount the can are a bit fine, so it takes a few turns to tighten, not unlike Thunderbeast or Suppressed Armament Systems. Good clean look, with the can covering almost all of the brake, keeping added length (vs direct thread) to a minimum.

The can is effective. Sounds even better than the Omega and SDN-6. I had to remove my Noveske light mount though, due to the greater diameter of the Trash Panda.

The mount and can are light weight. This is a big plus for me. I also mounted it on my 16.5”bolt action 6.5 Grendel and it felt great, not taking the rifle off balance at all.

I’ll go back to the range tomorrow and try to take some video. I stink at making videos, but there’s not a lot of info out there about the Q suppressors right now, and I know I’ve always appreciated other people’s experience and reviews.

Feedback Score
    I can't wait to put my Q cans through some paces. I agree about the Cherry Bomb, sometimes it is a bit much, but helps tame the lightweight fix better than when it's removed.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What cans did you strongly consider before purchasing the Q Trash Panda?
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Q Trash Panda - short range report

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    What cans did you strongly consider before purchasing the Q Trash Panda?
    I have a Silencerco Omega and a Dead Air Sandman Ti. I think the only other can I considered but didn’t buy is the Dead Air Sandman K. ETA and the Thunderbeast Ultra. Not sure why I haven’t bought one of those yet. My number one priority is lightweight followed closely by good suppression. Followed by length, then not coming loose, then cost, then looks.

I like the Omega for lightweight and modular, but modular also worries me because it’s also where a) mistakes happen and b) things wear out or break. Not speaking poorly of the Omega, just saying that modularity isn’t always a positive. Sometimes cop-proof is safer. I will already admit to a dumb mistake- took the Omega from a 6.5 and put it on 300blk without changing the end cap (custom 6.5 titanium). For the comparison I made in this thread, actually, and didn’t realize what a close call I had until later (no strike at all!).

I probably should have considered the Sig cans, but honestly they’re too ugly with that dumb cone look at the rear. Shallow, I know. I also like Dead Air stickers better than Q stickers, but that doesn’t influence my purchases, lol.

ETA: Also, for comparison, the Sandman Ti is longer and heavier than the Omega and Trash Panda. Sadly, as much as I like the can, the Sandman Ti no longer my first choice for a .30 can. It probably goes without saying but all of these cans outperform my other, older, .30 cal cans. I have two SDN-6 cans that I bought for .300blk when it and AAC where the hottest, newest things, and I have an even older YHM Phantom 7.62 that weighs a TON! But it did perform well on the already heavy Sig 716.
    Last edited by sandsunsurf; 10-28-17 at 13:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Link to video review of Q Trash Panda

Alright, here's my video comparing the Trash Panda with the Omega and my old stand by, the Gemtech M4-02. Unfortunately, only shooting five rounds isn't a comprehensive comparison. I noted a few things.

1- As I mentioned earlier, the modularity of the Omega is nice, but I recognized after the .300blk comparison that I hadn't taken of the 6.5 endcap. Wow, I can't believe the .308 projectile went through the .350" aperture of the endcap! But it was also nice being able to now put a 5.56 endcap on and have (theoretically) better suppression.

2- I LOVE the clean look and low weight of the Cherry Bomb, but since I was moving cans around to different rifles I ended up with the Cherry Bomb still threaded into the can and unthreaded from my muzzle. I had to apply Rockset to the threads of my 6.5 Grendel (I decided I think that's where I'll use the Trash Panda the most) and then tighten it all down and wait. Thankfully, the Trash Panda then easily screwed off the mount, leaving the Cherry Bomb on my rifle.

3- The ASR mount isn't bad, but I'm starting to lean towards the "thread over muzzle brake" type mounts, such as Q, Thunderbeast and Suppressed Armament Systems. The ASR just adds length and weight and really isn't that many fewer turns of the can. I've had direct thread cans shoot loose even on a bolt gun.

4- As expected, the greater volume of the larger diameter Trash Panda results in better suppression at my ear. I don't have the tools to measure, but I can say it sounded the best on both .300blk and .223 bolt gun.

5- When making a video review, just like any other plan, it never goes as planned!

Here it is: https://youtu.be/mkvn3hpDYyM

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nice video.

I had been looking for a review of .223 performance from the Q cans, but until now nobody has though to post a review of it.

Sounds better than the other two tested.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you. And it also sounded better in real life- clipping on an iPhone microphone obviously makes it hard to really tell. I’m looking forward to putting 40-50 rds through it later this week to see if I can pull some serious accuracy out of the bolt gun with TP combo.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Well done! I appreciate the review.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    For the example presented, the Q can did seem good as far as the sound, but granted by the limitations of the quick test.
    I would imagine that precision potential could improve if the Q can had the mount torqued to reduce backlash to limit the number of items to preload and backlash during the dynamic whip of the barrel.
    I'm still waiting to try out the 5 different .30 cans they offer. The .223 can line up should start to come out early 2018 if I understood correctly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is the 5th .30 can? I know of Trash Panda and Thunder Chicken, plus Half Nelson and Full Nelson. I did a terrible video review of disassembly and assembly of the El Camino. That's the only 5th Q can I'm aware of... I gotta know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast