Thread: Factory 9mm 147 FMJ

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Factory 9mm 147 FMJ

Its time to buy more bulk ammo (Lucky Gunner). I'm married to 147gr for training reasons. Unsupressed, not saving brass. Options include American Eagle and Speer Lawman, both at $250/1000. I've never used Lawman, and its been a few years since I used American Eagle. Aluminum case Blazer might also be an option, but I'm concerned that I'll be "getting what I pay for".

Any reason to choose one over the other? I'm open to other options, as well.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If I remember correctly, 147 speer lawman is cheaper on sgammo.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...9fp-p-661.aspx

$209 shipped and you’ll get $55 back by rebate in 4-8 weeks.

Oh, and it’s solid ammo to boot.

Lawman is good as well. But it’s the federal rebate any difference is negated. Lawman is a hot round. Made to mimic Gold Dot duty rounds.
    Last edited by ggammell; 10-27-17 at 14:11.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SG and Target Sports typically have the best prices!

Federal has a rebate....as others have said

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Its time to buy more bulk ammo (Lucky Gunner). I'm married to 147gr for training reasons. Unsupressed, not saving brass. Options include American Eagle and Speer Lawman, both at $250/1000. I've never used Lawman, and its been a few years since I used American Eagle. Aluminum case Blazer might also be an option, but I'm concerned that I'll be "getting what I pay for".

Any reason to choose one over the other? I'm open to other options, as well.
    Keep in mind that their are 2 different types of Speer 9mm 147 gr ammo: Lawman (item # 53620) and Clean-Fire (item # 53826). The manufacturer claims the ballistics for both are the same. Prices may not be.

With regards to reliability, I would put American Eagle a little lower than the others. It has always been extremely reliable for me, and I have shot it for years in a variety of different guns. However, I recently had some failures to feed which may be gun/magazine related (a 9mm carbine which uses Glock mags). But the same gun/magazine fed Blazer 147 gr and Lawman 147 gr fine. I think the issue is that the bullet (projectile) is a little pointier with the Blazer 147 gr and Lawman 147 gr than the American Eagle 147 gr.

In my experience, accuracy is a little worse with the Blazer 147gr (I think due to its weird bullet tail) than with American Eagle or Lawman. But Blazer 147gr is more accurate than some other factory 115 gr rounds I tested.

I may be able to dig up some old chronograph/velocity numbers if you want.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks for the input, guys.

JoeMamma, chrono data would be cool. I'm sure they're all close on velocity, but I've actually been wondering who loads the "hottest" ball ammo. I've been setting aside a few rounds to test next time I go to a range that I can chrono at.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys.

JoeMamma, chrono data would be cool. I'm sure they're all close on velocity, but I've actually been wondering who loads the "hottest" ball ammo. I've been setting aside a few rounds to test next time I go to a range that I can chrono at.
    Here are some #’s from testing some recent/current production factory 9mm ammo. Both sets of tests were taken within about the last year. I included some 9mm 115 gr ammo just for comparison purposes.

Set 1 - handgun
    All results from this set were taken on the same day with the same gun (Glock 17). This is an average of 10 shots with the standard deviation afterwards in parenthesis, all units in feet per second of course:

Blazer 115gr (#3509) - 1202 (15)
    PMC Bronze 115gr (9A) 1112 (10)

Blazer 147 gr (#3582) - 972 (12)
    American Eagle 147 gr (AEFP) - 988 (9)
    Speer Lawman 147 gr (#53620) - 1010 (8)

Set 2 -carbine
    All results from this set were taken on the same day with the same gun (9mm AR carbine), but a different day/gun from Set 1 above. This is an average of 10 shots with the standard deviation afterwards in parenthesis, all units in feet per second of course:

Blazer 115gr (#3509) - 1279 (15)
    PMC Bronze 115gr (9A) - 1213 (10)

Blazer 147 gr (#3582) - 1057 (11)
    American Eagle 147 gr (AEFP) - 1007 (17)
    Speer Lawman 147 gr (#53620) - 1065 (8)

I did not test Speer Clean-fire, only Lawman. But as I mentioned in my post above, the manufacturer says that Lawman and Clean-Fire 9mm 147 gr are supposed to have the same ballistics.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 10-28-17 at 22:06.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I used Speer 147gr Lawman for roughly two years in competition and training. I can honestly say I never had ANY issues with the ammo. I switched to Asym Ammo 147gr reman because the velocity is slower and I like their QC. It's actually cheaper at about .25/rd as well. No issues with ASYM either. Those are the only two affordable type 147gr 9mm I would run as they also had the most consistent velocities and lowest standard deviation compared to other rounds within that price range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A buddy of mine reps for these guys and speaks very highly of them: $205/k delivered: https://www.peakperformanceammo.com/...00ct-subsonic/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the numbers, JoeMamma. Speer is looking good. I will likely buy 2k next day off.

Eta. Thanks again for the info. I also appreciate the websites given, but I ordered the Speer through Lucky Gunner because I have been reading the articles and tests on their site lately and felt that I should be giving them some business in exchange for the info I’ve been getting from them.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-30-17 at 13:39. Reason: Update