Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun Sight Sets You Favor and Why?

Feedback Score

Handgun Sight Sets You Favor and Why?

I'm posting this in the semi-auto forum since most of us have a semi as our carry or primary HD piece. There are exceptions of course, so don't be afraid to chime in.

After I tried many flavors of sights over the years, I have put these on every semi-auto pistol I own:

https://www.xssights.com/Handgun_Sights_pr-8208.aspx

XS Big Dot Sights:

PROS

1. Easy to see and pick up quickly
    2. Their suggested sight picture: dead on at close range/6 o'clock hold at longer ranges works just fine for me
    3. Seem to be as robust as other sights (haven't broken a set yet)

CONS

1. Having a Tritium vial in the rear, though, is hard for me to pick up. I prefer the white ring with Tritium in the front and just the plain white verticle line in back (DXW). Great daytime sights. At night the Tritium is hard to see in any light, but if your tactics involve holding your flashlight in your off hand while aiming the pistol in the other, the sights appear as a dark "dot" silhouettte sitting in a trough. Great sight picture. Easy to pick up when you are holding your only light source.

2. People make fun of you for putting "old geezer" sights on your gun. I counter with "when you hit 50 and your eyesight ain't what it used to be you may very well say, 'Hey, these are great sights--nice and easy to see.'"

YMMV

What's your favorite sight combo and WHY?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The best sighting system for a handgun is a 1 or 3.25 MOA LED RMR

Followed not closely at all by Trijicon HDs

Feedback Score

I like the Dual Illumination RMR. It’s always on, and it operates by Tritium or Fiber optic. I don’t want Sights that have to turn on and off. I like them always on.

I’ve put a lot of time into shooting from presentation and in transitions with them.

The advantage of an RMR is fast transitions, more precision, and consistency in all light conditions. I was shooting my Dueling tree at 25 yards in low light very consistently. Most people shoot Dueling trees at much closer distances (half that).

I do prefer having backup Tritium sights, too.

One set of sights that has me fascinated are the Meprolight FT bullseye which use just a rear sight, and it works, in theory, like a reflex sight. I don’t need any new sights otherwise, I’d try them out.

I liked the XS Big Dot, as the acquisition of a Target is fast. I just didn’t like it for longer distances (greater than 15 yards), personally. Most of my other sights are just standard Tritium sights (1911s, Non-MOS Glocks, Sig Sauer).

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 10-28-17 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    Despite approaching geezer status ( 51 a few days ago) being brought up an old school bullseye shooter I still prefer big plain black sights. My carry glocks have the ( now discontinued) plain black 10-8 performance front and rear. In daylight on white painted steel and buff colored targets they show up great. For low light I always use and carry a flashlight and once you illuminate your target to identify the black sights also show up just fine ( in contrast once white light is introduced most “night sights” are overwhelmed by the light and the bright colors disappear anyway)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Iron sights - trijicon HD XR with orange circle, paired with a U notch rear (I have 10-8 or Warren Tactical). My geezer eyesight does better with a hi-vis front rather than the plain white outlined tritium vial. I also like the narrower XR vs the wider HD.

Otherwise, adjustable RMR because my aforementioned geezer eyesight is making it harder for me to focus on my front sight.

Feedback Score
    You guys using RMR's, if you CCW do you carry pistols with RMR's? (I'm asking because I'd like to know how!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    You guys using RMR's, if you CCW do you carry pistols with RMR's? (I'm asking because I'd like to know how!)
    I do. I use a backup SUPPRESSOR height Tritium sights.

My holster is a GCode IWB.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Feedback Score

RM06, or Dawson Precision FOs.

I carry the RMR daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ghostly; 10-27-17 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not my "preference" I guess but Trijicon HDs with rear sights blacked out.

I got orange because it reminded me of the old S&W ramp front sight but should have gotten the neon yellowish ones.

My personal stash will start wearing Dawson FOs and/or RMR because it is 2017, and I want that easy button life

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm not quite there yet, plus my RMR is on my G17. If I have a gun with me, it's my 19 which is iron-sighted only.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast