Thread: The Mossberg MVP 7.62 Patrol tested

Feedback Score

The Mossberg MVP 7.62 Patrol tested

My son knocked out some AP courses his senior year, and decided to go to a nearby state junior college to start and will have his AS in Engineering degree at the end of the semester. He will knock out some more courses next semester and transfer to finish his BS after that.

He has saved a ton of money to me doing this.
    (Unlike his national merit sister with a half dozen full scholarships she passed on to go to a school giving zero scholarship to her)

Anyways, over the years
    I have gotten him set up with the basics.
    An AR, a Beretta, a pump shotgun, and a SA shotgun.
    And fam’d him on revolvers, Glocks, 1911s, 94/336, bolt action, etc.

He expressed an interest in a scout rifle.

I snagged the MVP based on price, mag compatibility, etc. and did not want to sink a fortune in a type of gun he may not end up being really into.

I grabbed some 18$ Leupold see through rings, a 129$ Vortex scope, threw them on, and headed to the range.

I mainly shoot for basic functional use. So this will not be a magazine article accuracy optimizing review.

It comes with an economy sling that will function for basic carry.
    It has a flash hider. If he gets into it I can throw a phantom brake on there so we can use my YHM can.
    Sights are rear ghost ring and FO front. It somes with one ten round PMAg and I grabbed another. I have a ton of larger ones on hand for a 7.62 AR I got about ten years ago.

The action feels a little gritty. The trigger is also a touch gritty, but with a short pull and light, crisp break.
    Quality wise, sort of like a mid range Savage.

At the range I dropped in a round with no mag in. It is not quick and simple in the no mag scenario.
    I threw it to my shoulder and clanged a 10 inch plate at 100 meters.
    Then I did it again with a five round mag. Fine by me. I did not use the iron sights any further.

I threw down a mat and got prone and tried some different ammo.
    No bench, vise, etc. obviously.

Top left is ball basic mil quality FMJ ammo. The type that gets linked up with tracers. It works fine.

Top right is steel cased brown bear 308 145gr FMJ. Works fine. Smells a little bad.

Middle left is Winchester 7.62 FMJ. This ammo is total shit. It comes in white boxes with red lettering. I picked up a thousand rounds ten years ago. When I was sighting in my AR I thought the scope was slipping in its rings. I pulled twenty rounds back then and don’t remember the weight differences between cases, powder, and bullets, but it was a huge range compared to what I expected.

Middle right is Tula 308 steel cased 150 grain FMJ. Shoots fine for the price. Smells a lot bad.

Bottom left is black hills Winchester March 168 gr hollow point. A waste of money for this gun shooting prone unsupported.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f21j2grqfTyeo5iW2

Next photo has two more,
    Top is steel cased Wolf.

Bottom is Hornady TAP.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AMyjiKSfEea7nRaH3

I will probably grab some reasonably priced, mid range hunting ammo,
    And go back tweak the zero for it on a bench shooting supported.
    And maybe repeat the groups with the ammo already used.

I am not the honor grad of SOTIC or the Scout Sniper Instructor course like some of my colleagues have been over the years. I don’t plan to reload for hours coming up with the super grouping ammo fired from a vise with barrel swabs, cold shot dumps, and cooling periods to find the perfect round. I’m a middle aged guy laying on the ground shooting ammo straight from the boxes into the mag.

It is all broken in and ready to go to hand him for a graduation present for his associates. If he is really into it I can dump some money into a nicer rifle with some serious glass in a couple of years when he finishes his bachelors.

You can find a better hunting rifle, precision rifle, etc. for the price. For a 308 bolt gun with mag compatibility with your semi autos, that is an all around gun, it’s the least expensive option. Although, prone on the ground, it’s not like I was going to throw a 20 or 25 round mag in there.

The rest of each box of ammo was used on 10 inch steel plates with iron sights or the scope from standing, kneeling, seated, and more prone. With the exemption of the Winchester ammo, which was 9 for 15, all other ammo rang it 15 for 15.

Dropping something at 100m with the scope or iron sights unsupported is fine for this gun.

If you need to tag a brain stem at 300m you are not looking at this gun anyway.

The action and trigger feel smoother after just 150 rounds.

The trigger can be adjusted.

Feedback Score
    P.s.
    I forgot to add,
    The mag release is not a smooth, fast type.

Stock is as expected for the price point.

They do make long range “Precision” versions for more money.

Average review article accuracy for the 7.62 Patrol version like this one, depending on ammo,
    Seems to range from a best of 1.25, to a worst of 2.2.
    ( they obviously would have left out the Winchester group and not fessed up to it like me)

With an average of about 1.6.

Feedback Score
    I had an ATTY owing me money and he had a Ruger American in 308 and a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 308.I went with the Mossberg.I put a Vortex scope on it ,adjusted the trigger and took it to Range.Fired about 30 rounds through it so far 150 gr stuff and man it is accurate.Did you know that the barrel seems to be free floated or at least you can slide a dollar bill down the length of it.All I need now is a sling and swivels,any suggestions.Possibly a bipod and I really would like to make the mag release alittle more user friendly.Great gun for the price.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I've had for a couple years. Ok gun of it fits your niche. Mine shoots 1-2" depending on ammo. I managed to break my front sight off. Never used the irons anyway. Works great with pmags. Mine seems to have trouble with metal mags.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice review.

I had an MVP Predator in 223. It was very accurate, loved the stock, and the trigger wasn't bad. The two things I didn't like were the action was pretty clunky and the AR style mags really limited what could be done with the overall length of loaded ammo. It also had a 1:9 twist barrel, which is fine if you are going to shoot varmint loads and 69 grain ammo, but I like to reach out past 600 once in a while and the higher BC bullets don't stabilize real well in that twist.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This past weekend my brother and I had access to a 600 yard range and he brought his Patrol with him. It is what he deer hunts with. He didn't have the greatest scope on it, it was a lower priced Zeiss scope, and he was able to hit the 2, 3 and 400 yard steel gongs all day with it. Past that he had a hard time and couldn't hit the 600 yarder at all. He was shooting Win 150gr XP ammo. As a 300 yard and in deer rifle it definitely fits the bill. As a precision gun, definitely not. I think I'd label it a meat gun. Meaning a rifle you can take into the woods, beat it to hell and back and keep right on killing deer all day long.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 12-04-17 at 07:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcante262 View Post
    Possibly a bipod and I really would like to make the mag release alittle more user friendly.Great gun for the price.
    Mag release extension: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-5-...EAAOSw0kNXhbAM

Pretty sure he makes it for the 308 also but can't guarantee it, but not sure they are any different.

Also, this guy makes some parts for the MVP also:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/tonyrumore/...p2047675.l2562

I have a 5.56 Patrol as I wanted a bolt backup to my AR and agree it is a great gun for the money. The iron sights on mine were dead on at 50y.
    Last edited by austinN4; 12-04-17 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    I definitely want to get the mag release extension.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Has anyone tried M14 mags in their MVP Patrol? And if so, how'd they work?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Has anyone tried M14 mags in their MVP Patrol? And if so, how'd they work?
    I have an MVP Predator model in .308. In my gun, I found the PMAG AR-10/LR308 mag wasn't something that did well. However, I bought several different sized M14/M1A mags from Check-Mate Industries. They all lock up just fine, insert/drop free with no problems and feeding has been 100% with no hang-ups.