Thread: T.A.P.S. Disassembly for Cable Lead Replacement?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

T.A.P.S. Disassembly for Cable Lead Replacement?

Asking because I haven't handled one up close, but for any of you who might be running a TAPS, does there appear to be an easy way access the leads? Trying to see if there might be a fairly simple way to replace the Surefire lead with a Steiner WML lead since I'd like to run a Steiner MK4 rather than a Surefire. Not that I can't run a Surefire (I've got plenty of them), but really wanting to see if it's doable without seriously screwing something up. Thanks.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hope this helps a little:

I couldn't pop that plate off to access the circuit board without ease and I didn't want to damage the integrity of the weather proof. This is the normal TAPS, the TAPS Pro is similar with the exception there is a switch you can rotate to program which button is for which lead.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    That helps. Seems easier to just splice the cable without popping it open, but then that would likely compromise the integrity of the system as well.

Side note, but that's a badass trike on the cover of that book.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You probably don't want to go either route. The units are not made to be disassembled, so you would likely damage it beyond repair trying to get it open. And as you said, splicing the cable has its own set of issues. Of course the warranty would be void for either of those.

What cable configuration are you wanting to use?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by goteron View Post
    You probably don't want to go either route. The units are not made to be disassembled, so you would likely damage it beyond repair trying to get it open. And as you said, splicing the cable has its own set of issues. Of course the warranty would be void for either of those.

What cable configuration are you wanting to use?
    Was wanting to see if I could re-configure it to run a Steiner MK4. I ended up just sticking with my Surefire, so I'm no longer pursuing this course of action. Once I got the TAPS in hand I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have the configuration available (2x Steiner / Insight) leads. Call the shop if you are interested in picking one up.

Thanks