Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR Match vs. WOLF SRM primers

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looking at your groups I'd venture the Wolf primer group has the potential to be the accuracy load. Inclined to attribute the lone flier to "whatever".
    Was distance 100 yds?

Are the Wolf SRM primers currently available anywhere? I checked a couple of the "usual places" that showed none in stock.
    A SD of 6 is impressive.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mark mentioned in another post the Wolfs are no longer being imported for some reason. So for me and others it's a bummer.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Looking at your groups I'd venture the Wolf primer group has the potential to be the accuracy load. Inclined to attribute the lone flier to "whatever".
    Was distance 100 yds?
    Yes. 100 yards. The WOLF load has shot 1/4" on good days. It's the standard load we run, and the baseline for the comparison. Everyone I know who has tried Russian primers has seen noteworthy reductions in S.D.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    Mark mentioned in another post the Wolfs are no longer being imported for some reason. So for me and others it's a bummer.
    This is why i avoid using foreign made primers. Once you find one that works great they're gone. Even S&B primers that Cablea's carries at fire sale prices are hit and miss in availability.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    fedarm.com has MTM primers available for sale on their website, 124.95 for 5,000 SRP. They also have small pistol, large pistol, and large rifle available. MTM is the manufacturer for wolf primers

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Trying them is a good idea, problem is finding them. We and the Ruskies are not playing well in the primer market. I will say that I have a friend / Riflesmith that said Federal have the hottest primers by far. Giving higher velocities some times. But as consistent as Wolf and possible others.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The other take away that we have largely discounted is wind at 100 yards. Unless the wind was ripping, we took no notice. But when we inspected our target (with moderate wind) ALL the groups were blown left. Not huge but our vertical spread was half our horizontal. 6 different groups.

Note to self, pay attention to wind when shooting 223 at 100 yard groups. Thats why the Benchrest crazies follow the flags with intensity.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrott View Post
    MTM is the manufacturer for wolf primers
    So the MTM primers are the same, similar, or comparable to the Wolf primers?
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    So the MTM primers are the same, similar, or comparable to the Wolf primers?
    No idea. $32 per thousand delivered for 5k of them is a little steep for a gamble. But if I had none, I'd try them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just received this email from Fedarm Sales in response to my questions: "These primers are manufactured in Russia. We have OEM made primers for Wolf and Tulammo. These are the same primers they use."

Begs the question as to why these are available when the Wolfs aren't.

I guess the lower price of the Russian primers has gone away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12