Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P10 hates my SilencerCo Omega

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    So, out of curiosity, if I were to go with an adjustable gas block, which one on this case? I know nothing about them. What about the Superlative Arms bleed off?
    That's what I've used on a couple ARs (a 308 and a 556) with great results. Just choose the correct inside diameter, obviously.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...k-ar-15-lr-308
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score

Ref SpringCo orange spring

Off from work and checking back in... I got a SpringCo orange on recommendations from SpringCo to help with being over gassed, no mods to gasport on barrel. I've started using a 9mm AR buffer to it's still running hard with my suppressors and brass case ammo it is not as bad with steel case ammo but still a problem. Only fix I can do is go to adjustable gas block or insert, I have not done it yet do to not finding one that I like yet. One that will mount factory sight on. I have about decided to put factory flashhider back until I do the gas block. One fix that has cut down on bolt carrier from striking receiver extension is a few quarters in bottom of it to stop / shortening cycle of movement...not a correction of problem.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    XH buffer and Wolff spring arrived, installed, and tested.
    With the suppressor, I'm still having those stoppages, but much less frequent. Brass ejection is somewhat erratic, from 1:30 to 3:00, usually about 2:00.
    Gun still runs fine without a suppressor, but I can definitely feel the larger reciprocating mass; not sure if it's more recoil, but it definitely feels different.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Clint buffer and spring in my LMT and it helped. But in 556 guns when I increased buffer weight to better manage recoil, it does not always translate. I understand your comment about more reciprocating mass. I felt increased recoil or felt recoil in a few instances. But if it helped with stoppages, Guess thats good but not great.

I think I would go with adjustable gas if I were in your situation, but if your happy, thats all that matters.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    The omega is a very high back pressure can. This is why it has such good dB numbers at the muzzle. It's not too gassy on 5.56 because the larger bore helps. Unfortunately it is not as fun to use with 308 gas guns.

For the price of that XH buffer you could have gotten an SLR gas block. I realize your current one is pinned, but it won't hurt anything to put a new set screw gas block on.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the suppressor, I'm still having those stoppages, but much less frequent. Brass ejection is somewhat erratic, from 1:30 to 3:00, usually about 2:00.
    Gun still runs fine without a suppressor, but I can definitely feel the larger reciprocating mass; not sure if it's more recoil, but it definitely feels different.
    Hmm, it looks like the adjustable GB would be your next logical step. I would still run the XH buffer and spring. The Superlative Arms would be a good choice.

As I mentioned earlier, my Mega needed both modifications to run properly with my Omega - your will probably be the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's interesting. So, just out of curiosity:

I understand that the direction of the brass ejection can be an indicator of the velocity of the action (is that the right terminology for "how fast the bolt-carrier moves"?). My question is, what does the inconsistency of the ejection direction indicate? Should I take that to mean the action velocity/rate is inconsistent?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dot View Post
    That's interesting. So, just out of curiosity:

I understand that the direction of the brass ejection can be an indicator of the velocity of the action (is that the right terminology for "how fast the bolt-carrier moves"?). My question is, what does the inconsistency of the ejection direction indicate? Should I take that to mean the action velocity/rate is inconsistent?
    Ejection angle is not a reliable indicator of carrier speed.

If an adjustable gas block is needed, I suggest the SLR. It's not worth the bother trying to get a gas block that will fit the factory front sight.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Ejection angle is not a reliable indicator of carrier speed.

If an adjustable gas block is needed, I suggest the SLR. It's not worth the bother trying to get a gas block that will fit the factory front sight.
    Thanks for the reply.
    So I'm actually considering getting the adjustable gas block and having it pinned in place, just like my current BCM one. Considering my 12" rail, would I be able to access the adjustment for the SLR? Is the adjustment something that I can easily change from unsuppressed to suppressed modes?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The adjustment screw is at the front of the gas block. You'll need an Allen key that can reach it. It will be easy to switch from suppressed and unsuppressed as long as you know how many clicks there are between the two settings.

If you use a handguard that covers the the gap between the gas block and the suppressor, you won't be able to adjust the gas block with the suppressor in place.

The Govnah MicroMOA might be easier to switch back and forth as it has a slide with two different gas ports. But you'll need to know what gas port diameters are needed. You can start with smaller than needed ports in the slide and open them up until you get what you need. But there is much to be said for the fine adjustment the SLR affords you as you search for the right balance of reciprocating mass and gas drive.

The M&P-10 uses a middy gas system with the 18" barrel. At least, that's what mine has. The distance from the end of the 12" (rifle length) free float tube to the front of the nonadjustable gas block I'm using is about 2.1". There should be no problem finding an Allen key long enough to reach.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast