Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P10 hates my SilencerCo Omega

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

M&P10 hates my SilencerCo Omega

Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    What about a SpringCo orange spring? That was also recommended to me, and confirmed through SpringCo.
    Less cycling mass, more resistance. Thoughts?
    I don’t have experience with the SpringCo in a 308 AR, only the AR15, sorry. The spring I ended up using was the Wolff one Clint recommended I pair with his XH buffer.

As others mentioned, your rifle is over-gassed, and my recommendations are keeping with your desire to not have to swap your pinned GB, which I understand. I would just spend the $125 and get the XH buffer and matching Wolff spring. You could also try swapping the extractor spring as was mentioned but my hunch is you need to slow your carrier cycling rate.

I will add that in my experience with my Mega Maten, I built it with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block with MidLength gas on a Mega 16” barrel. I never bothered to measure the gas port, however a midlength was definitely less than ideal with cycling. Despite me opening the gas block screw all the way out, I was getting the same malfunctions you were as well as double feeds/FTE. I could also feel the impulse from the bolt cycling was harsh. Once I swapped bolt/spring my problems went away and I have perfect cycling and brass ejection at 3:00-3:30. I use the same suppressor you do BTW.

The added benefit with my troubleshooting is my AR308 has become very soft shooting but still reliable with all my handloads as well as factory 308 and MEN milsurp.

My malfunction before I swapped buffer/spring.

Last edited by veeref; 11-01-17 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    For a given of positive extraction capacity, there is an overly basic 3 part triangle that can be applied to this and others, but this only applies for an acceptable range of what is driving the action. For this scenario, we want the fired case to properly eject, so that it does not disrupt the proper chambering of the next round. We want to fall into a place with a safety factor that allows normal deviations exp

Feedback Score
    Lost almost all of my post? I'm not typing that again.
    Long story short, added action mass with the can could achieve better results, be it from a heavy buffer or a Tubb's weight system. I would prefer to use those methods over a higher tension action spring. Those additions are not permanent.
    The better solution, would be a dedicating gassing for use either way, but not both combined. It's better to dedicate the gas drive from the base port size, not anything external to that.
    Sorry for the short summary.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dang, sorry to hear that it's not working for you. Especially since I'll be running the same setup once my Omega comes in...

I'm curious if anyone knows how much of the issue is due to the difference in gas port size. I.e. had the OP stayed with a factory gas port size, do you suspect that the over-gassing would still be an issue, or at least as severe? (I saw MistWolf says it might be an extractor issue, anyhow.)

I'd love to hear how this one ends, though. Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dot View Post
    Dang, sorry to hear that it's not working for you. Especially since I'll be running the same setup once my Omega comes in...

I'm curious if anyone knows how much of the issue is due to the difference in gas port size. I.e. had the OP stayed with a factory gas port size, do you suspect that the over-gassing would still be an issue, or at least as severe? (I saw MistWolf says it might be an extractor issue, anyhow.)

I'd love to hear how this one ends, though. Thanks for sharing.
    Honestly, I do think that if I hadn't opened the gas port, it probably would have worked... That said, it would be completely unacceptable to not function with surplus military ammo when unsuppressed, so I sort of had to.
    I think that I'll try an XH buffer and spring, and hope for that to work. If it doesn't, since I really don't want to fiddle with the gas block, I'll probably just leave it be.
    Last edited by masakari; 11-02-17 at 08:03.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Honestly, I do think that if I hadn't opened the gas port, it probably would have worked... That said, it would be completely unacceptable to not function with surplus military ammo when unsuppressed, so I sort of had to.
    I think that I'll try an XH buffer and spring, and hope for that to work. If it doesn't, since I really don't want to fiddle with the gas block, I'll probably just leave it be.
    Very cool gun, I like the ACOG on the AR10. I would like one such rig.

You are right on track, try Clints buffers and springs then go gas block approach.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So the factory gas port was opened from .068 to .073 because it cycled too weakly with surplus?

IMO, the Mid Length gas system may be shorter than ideal for an 18" 308.

I'd double check the ejector tension and possibly upgrade the ejector spring if it seems too soft.

An H3 (5.4oz) is probably the minimum buffer weight for good function a large frame AR.

A gas port insert in the pinned block is an option, but that would make it a dedicated suppressed setup.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I built out a friends MP10, when I had the barrel stripped my notes indicate it had a .070" GP. 18" barrel weighing in at 37.15oz. It was bought about 2 years ago. .070" would probably be what you need to run mil-surp unsuppressed and still function suppressed. The gas-tube is about 12" long I think SW uses a proprietary midlength plus.
    My friends gun hasn't been tested suppressed.

You could use an gas-regulating, gas-block insert on your pinned gas-block as a regulating option.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 11-02-17 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    So, out of curiosity, if I were to go with an adjustable gas block, which one on this case? I know nothing about them. What about the Superlative Arms bleed off?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If SLR rifle works makes a .308 has block I would go with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast