Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast Forwad Device

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Blast Forwad Device

Not sure if this belongs in general or technical, but I've been reading about various versions of Blast Forward Devices, and they have me interested.

I like the idea of being able to go prone and on my side without worrying about kicking debris back into my face, but even more I like the idea of making it even a little quieter for me. I know BFDs are not supressors - they doesn't quiet the gun, they just move the sound signature in a different direction.

Shooting outside at the range, with ear plugs and ear muffs over them, my AR is still loud. Once time recently, my cheek weld popped the seal on my muffs and the one round I fired made my ears ring for days, and that was shooting outside. I don't even want to think about the decibles if I had to use it inside, with walls around me.

I've read of different designs but I have never tried any (and I can't afford to go out and buy several to experiment with). I tried searching Blast Forwad Device but nothing useful came up (unless I missed it).

What is the concensus on these devices? Do they really make it quieter for the shooter? If so, how much quieter? Enough to make a useful difference? If I put one on my AR, can I get by with just plugs, or just muffs? Which brands work the best, and which don't?

I expect recoil to increase a little, but an AR doesn't recoil much anyway, so I'm not too concerned about this. I know I can go thru the process of buying a true suppressor, and that might be the best option, but it's a lot more money and (as I understand the laws) there are states where I cannot have one with me. The BFD might be a useful alternative.

FWIW, I have a standard A2 bird cage on my AR right now.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
    Last edited by moonshot; 10-29-17 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I had one, and liked it well enough. It does change the recall impulse a little bit. It also depends on the type of shooting you like doing. Shooting under cover, my buddy's forward brake seemed much more pleasant than people who had conventional brakes. In short, if the current noise annoys you, it's worth a try. And I'll even lend you my device (Covert Comp by Black River Tactical). I just ask that you give the thread feedback. PM me if you are interested.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 10-29-17 at 10:56. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I put one of these on my AR pistol while I was waiting for my stamps - did not want to spend a lot of money on something I was going to take off:

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-pa...stry-flash-can

It worked surprisingly well, so much so that I put it on another upper.

From my experiences shooting a friend's rifle with one, the Noveske Flaming Pig would be one step above, but not much:

http://www.primaryarms.com/noveske-k...28-nvkx5-12x28

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The pig rules in this regard.

Easily noticed reduction in noise from the shooter's perspective, or line mates to the side.

KX3, KX5, I can't tell the dif, they seem equal in their ability to take the painful peak off the noise.

Feedback Score
    A linear comp will increase the pressures though, right? I would think that would have to be taken into consideration for how the rifle runs overall.

Also, is there any consideration to be given to how a linear comp is mounted, i.e. under the handguard or sticking out?

Feedback Score
    I have the Kak and MI flash cans, Kaw Valley linear comp and the Fortis muzzle brake and blast shield combo. They all work well enough to minimize the concussion to your neighbors. I don't really notice the sound difference too much. My experience is on short barrels only, so it's loud regardless. The significant difference is that the Fortis combo looks way cooler but it cost $100+ more than the flash cans.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have a linear compensator (BRT Mini comp) on my 20" barreled AR.
    It reduces the blast and pressure beside the rifle and behind it when I fire from a covered shooting position (more so than a bare muzzle). That was my intent when I built the rifle for the range and hunting.
    My rifle with the linear comp kicks up less debris/dust from the prone than my A2 and BCM Mod 0 equipped 16" carbines, even when the gun is upright.
    They do, as advertised, push the blast downrange and generally make the rifle a lot more pleasant to be around, but I cannot tell if my rifle is quieter for the shooter in open air.
    If you crank off a rifle inside a building the muzzle device won't matter to you unless you have a silencer.

Andy

P.S. I cannot tell that the BRT Mini comp increases back pressure or affects the operation of my rifle at all.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-29-17 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    It seems the consensus is these devices do what they advertise, but they are better at reducing the concussion off to the side of the shooter rather than reducing the sound signature at the shooter's ears. They may reduce the crack, but they don't make shooting without any hearing protection less painful or less dangerous.

I've read about the Noveske, Griffin Armament, Indian Creek, Black River Tactical and GRG BFDs. The Noveske seems to get the best overall reviews while the Black River Tactical seemed to have the best sound reduction from the videos I watched on You Tube. It seems that I will still need both plugs and muffs, especially if shooting indoors.

If you had to fire your AR indoors, without hearing protection, would one of these BFDs at least reduce the disorientation and damage to short term, or are we still looking at permanent damage?

I also never considered if BFDs may cause some kind of back pressure problem effecting reliability. I this a concern?

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    “... they are better at reducing the concussion off to the side of the shooter rather than reducing the sound signature at the shooter's ears. They may reduce the crack...”

Not my experience. The crack (sonic boom) is the same, downrange of the muzzle. The explosive muzzle blast is much more comfortable to both shooter and neighbors, at least at a covered outdoor range. (I don’t do indoors.) Expecting no ear-pro levels without a can is not realistic IMO no matter what the muzzle attachment.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Don't these things increase the fireball too? Personally, I'd get a good flash hider. I use the Dead Air flash hider on all my rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast