Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Blast Forwad Device

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Not sure if you are referreing to my OP, but if so, I wasn't wearing plugs at the time, just muffs, and the seal on the right side was broken from contact with my rifle stock just as I took the shot. These were older muffs, with "fat" ear cups. I have since learned my lesson, and I run foam plugs (typcially 29db 3Ms or 33db Howard Leight Max) along with muffs no matter what or where I am shooting. I have a set of Walker 31db muffs and a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs rated at 22bd - both thin enough to not be a problem with my rifle stock. The Sordins were always out of my price range, but I may have to rethink this.

Having read all the responces here, I think the rational for my OP was not well thought out. The BFD seems to do a good job of reducing the debris kickback, concussion and "crack" when outdoors, but aren't going to do what I had wanted indoors. If I don't want a suppressor and I want to protect my hearing should I ever need to use my firearm indoors, it looks like I need to invest in high end electronic muffs and keep them ready for immediate use.

If I have time to get to my rifle, I should have time to throw on a set of muffs.
    I guess I interpreted your post wrong - I thought you were doubled up and broke a seal, rather than muffs only and broke a seal.

I see a lot of people who don't insert their ear plugs anywhere near far enough (most of it sticks out) and then aren't happy with how much their ears ring.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I wasn't very clear in my OP. It does look like I was wearing plugs and muffs, but that revelation came later. At the time my muff seal broke, I was using my original handgun-era muffs with fat ear pieces and I was shooting my first AR. Bad combination.

Following this episode, I bought the Walkers with their high db rating for shooting on my own and the Howard Leight electronic muffs for use in classes, but always now with plugs (and I try very hard to put them in properly). Also, I made sure both muffs had relatively thin ear peices and didn't interefere with my AR stock. They're not perfect, but I'm not sure what is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

It sounds like our BRT Covert Comp would meet your needs nicely.

As mentioned before, they do a nice job of knocking the blast down, even on a short barrel.

We routinely shoot with just earplugs and it is a non-issue.

There is no noticeable increase in gas drive with the Covert Comp.

For legal purposes, is this listed as a comp or a flash hider? I live in NJ so for me it matters.
    RESIST!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    For legal purposes, is this listed as a comp or a flash hider? I live in NJ so for me it matters.
    seems they only call it a Comp on their site. "flashing hider" isn't mentioned as far as i can see:

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...5/covert-comp/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    seems they only call it a Comp on their site. "flashing hider" isn't mentioned as far as i can see:

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...5/covert-comp/
    While they don't specifically say flash hider in as many words, they do say:

It provides low light performance nearly as good as the common A2 style muzzle device.

That sounds to me like it's a flash hider.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    yes, it may function as that, but they don't call it that.

not knowing how NJ law reads, that might be an important distinction.

Feedback Score
    I don't know NJ law either, but in CA if it's advertised as reducing flash it counts as one. While they don't say the magic words, I wouldn't risk it here.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I don't know NJ law either, but in CA if it's advertised as reducing flash it counts as one. While they don't say the magic words, I wouldn't risk it here.
    good to know

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always thought the KX3, ect were designed for shorter barrel rifles (or AR pistols) and didn't work as well on 16" barrels.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdacbob View Post
    I always thought the KX3, ect were designed for shorter barrel rifles (or AR pistols) and didn't work as well on 16" barrels.
    I have a BRT Mini Comp on a 20" barreled AR-15 and it works as advertised, I am sure the effect is more dramatic with a shorter barrel.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-03-17 at 11:02.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast