Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blast Forwad Device

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    “... they are better at reducing the concussion off to the side of the shooter rather than reducing the sound signature at the shooter's ears. They may reduce the crack...”

Not my experience. The crack (sonic boom) is the same, downrange of the muzzle. The explosive muzzle blast is much more comfortable to both shooter and neighbors, at least at a covered outdoor range. (I don’t do indoors.) Expecting no ear-pro levels without a can is not realistic IMO no matter what the muzzle attachment.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Don't these things increase the fireball too? Personally, I'd get a good flash hider. I use the Dead Air flash hider on all my rifles.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    Don't these things increase the fireball too? Personally, I'd get a good flash hider. I use the Dead Air flash hider on all my rifles.
    The KX5 does. Flash hider under Griffin blast shield still works pretty well.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    My SBRs without the cans would be painful w/o the blast deflector over the brakes. I can’t imagine how obnoxious my 7.5” pistol would be sans KX5.

Next range trip I want to try the deflector on a 16” over a Griffin flash comp taper mount just because.
    I put a linear comp on my 7.5 pistol build it toned it down quite a bit. I cant wear muffs so I just use the surefire plugs with the "thingys" in the baffles.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Another option you might want to look at it the PWS CQB. We have one on a range rifle and it has done pretty well at taking some of the concussion you feel away when shooting indoors. It also has a flash hiding endcap which most of the other linear devices do not. Granted it costs more than some, but we have been pretty happy with it. If I was building an SBR upper and not looking to suppress it, I would seriously consider the PWS option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have used the "Kies Blast Master" comp, which is discontinued but very similar to many others still on the market, like the old DPMS Levang and the current Kaw Valley Precision. I also have the similar but not quite the same "Simple Threaded Device." I've done back to back testing vs. other devices outside in open air, and under a square-range roof, prone, standing, sitting cross legged on the ground, and sitting at a bench.

Overall, I find that these devices just barely do what's claimed. I wouldn't consider any of them safe for use without ear protection. Their recoil impulse is OK, but not reduced, just slightly softened over time.

Here is a great, methodical and instrumented test that includes some devices:

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncateg...ce-comparison/

If you look at measured SPL levels you'll see that the AAC Blackout flash hider is second to lowest SPL, and a lot quieter than even most flash hiders. The STD device is louder in this test. This matches my personal testing experience, which is not instrumented. The AAC Blackout is surprisingly quiet and free of blast, and it's also a terrific flash hider. If you want the quietest and least blasty device that doesn't require a $200 tax stamp, check out the AAC Blackout. There are also similar flash hiders made by other companies that might work as well, but I haven't tried the others, only the AAC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The noise that the KX's take from the shooter is hurled downrange with a vengeance inside a 90 degree or so arc. I've been forward of a KX3 while doing flash hider testing and from that perspective it is very loud, but it does a good job as a flash hider.

Feedback Score
    A lot of good information here. They seem to work, but just how well seems to be more a matter of opinion. This link was particularly interesting. Thanks to SomeOtherGuy for it...

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncateg...ce-comparison/

This was very enlightening...

...the difference between the loudest and quietest device (measured to the left of the muzzle) was approximately 8 decibels. Considering that a 10 decibel difference makes something sound twice as loud, these differences should not be considered entirely minor.
    My primary interest in a BFD was to reduce the sound signature of my AR reaching my ears to the level of a handgun, particularly indoors. If I or my wife ever needed to grab a rifle in a home invasion / self defense situation, and didn't have time or opportunity to put on adequate hearing protection, my AR with its current Bird Cage would just be too loud - to the point of causing permanent hearing damage. I was hoping to avoid that without the expense or restrictions of a supressor, but that might have been wishful thinking.

There do seem to be a couple of BFDs that may offer enough of a sound redirection to make them worthwhile, but not to the point of doing what I had originally wanted.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    If suppressors ever become over the counter without the $200 tax stamp, I think super short cans might sell in the millions.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    My primary interest in a BFD was to reduce the sound signature of my AR reaching my ears to the level of a handgun, particularly indoors. If I or my wife ever needed to grab a rifle in a home invasion / self defense situation, and didn't have time or opportunity to put on adequate hearing protection, my AR with its current Bird Cage would just be too loud - to the point of causing permanent hearing damage. I was hoping to avoid that without the expense or restrictions of a supressor, but that might have been wishful thinking.
    Even a centerfire handgun (9mm, .40 etc.) is going to be so loud indoors that it will cause hearing damage. I haven't shot at an indoor range in about 10 years because, even with the best ear protection, I find it painfully loud. I can't imagine any unsuppressed centerfire rifle being ear safe indoors. If that's a goal, consider a 300BLK with purely subsonic ammo and a good sound suppressor.

A friend of mine keeps electronic ear muffs next to his home defense gun. Whether he would have time to put it on is uncertain, but it's not a bad idea. Realistically though - I have no idea what is realistic for a home defense scenario, or how wide a range they might fall in. If you have time for earpro, how about body armor? Safety glasses?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast