Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blast Forwad Device

Feedback Score
    Muffs are not a bad idea, neither is a plate carrier. I suppose it's a "game-time" decision. Is bad guy just down the hallway only feet from contact, or is he still trying to kick down your main entrance door? Lot's of variables to weigh out.

I do have experience shooting in my house with long guns and handguns. Even with ear pro, 5.56 is shockingly loud. The concussion can be felt in my chest and head. The walls seem to resonate (ring). I'm pretty sure during a home invasion/life or death situation, this wouldn't matter much, but I wanted to share my first hand experience with folks that do not have the means to try for themselves. It's not at all like the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Even a centerfire handgun (9mm, .40 etc.) is going to be so loud indoors that it will cause hearing damage. I haven't shot at an indoor range in about 10 years because, even with the best ear protection, I find it painfully loud. I can't imagine any unsuppressed centerfire rifle being ear safe indoors. If that's a goal, consider a 300BLK with purely subsonic ammo and a good sound suppressor.

A friend of mine keeps electronic ear muffs next to his home defense gun. Whether he would have time to put it on is uncertain, but it's not a bad idea. Realistically though - I have no idea what is realistic for a home defense scenario, or how wide a range they might fall in. If you have time for earpro, how about body armor? Safety glasses?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

It sounds like our BRT Covert Comp would meet your needs nicely.

As mentioned before, they do a nice job of knocking the blast down, even on a short barrel.

We routinely shoot with just earplugs and it is a non-issue.

There is no noticeable increase in gas drive with the Covert Comp.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Just earplugs indoors? Down a hallway (with walls, ceiling and floor to create a tunnel effect)? I'm skeptical.

However, I am beginning to think one of these devices (perhaps the BRT) along with a set of muffs kept next to my AR is the short-term way to go. I won't have time to properly roll and insert plugs, but muffs should be faster. When I took LFI-1 a thousand years ago, Mas recommended a set of Wolf Ears (no longer in production, I believe) as a way to both protect hearing and help identify low intensity sounds as well as direction of sounds. Was good advise then (just beyond my finances at the time), may be even better advise now.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Just earplugs indoors? Down a hallway (with walls, ceiling and floor to create a tunnel effect)? I'm skeptical.

Sorry, outdoors. We rarely shoot indoors. Just not a pleasant environment with rifles.
    Last edited by Clint; 11-01-17 at 21:21.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Reading over the comments do people think that a blast device (linear comp? same thing?) will also reduce flash?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking at the possibility of running a KX5 on a 10.3" carbine, replacing a birdcage. I'm mainly looking at reducing the concussion to the shooter, as well as those that may be inline with or behind the shooter. I shoot indoors occasionally. What does the KX5 do for flash?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis612 View Post
    Looking at the possibility of running a KX5 on a 10.3" carbine, replacing a birdcage. I'm mainly looking at reducing the concussion to the shooter, as well as those that may be inline with or behind the shooter. I shoot indoors occasionally. What does the KX5 do for flash?
    I don't see any flash during the day out of my 9" 300 blackout, but there is much more noticeable muzzle rise. And everything is thrown down range, I normally have my spotter scope beside where I shoot and it use to knock it over. Now it's a non issue.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis612 View Post
    Super Flash! the KX5 is called the flaming pig for a reason. Lots of muzzle flash
    yep found a youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJq9yuXvpQ

here is a comparison of KX5 vs YHM vs another (YHM wins both in flash hiding and in cost) But no idea about the blast...but probably about the same as an A2 extended which I have used which = lots of concussion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noILkUEFcmA

I have been very happy with my JP 3 Prong 556L flash hider.
    It is an extended 3 prong flash hider.
    NO Flash at all at a dim indoor range. Blast is also directed forwards. 11.5 barrel using full house 5.56 loads.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Reading over the comments do people think that a blast device (linear comp? same thing?) will also reduce flash?
    I think this will vary among the specific devices. There are some videos online of the BRT Covert Comp that seem to show minimal flash. I wouldn't assume other brands will be as good.

Flash is not always easily predictable. I have a relatively conventional brake that seems to suppress flash at least as well as an A2, while most brakes cause huge flashes. Ammo type and barrel length makes a huge difference as well.

If you want no flash, along with low blast and low (relatively) noise, did I mention the AAC Blackout? Why yes, I think I did. Great flash hider and surprisingly good on the other areas. I have no affiliation with AAC, I'm just impressed with that overall performance. Other companies make similar flash hiders (three long prongs with an inside diameter barely larger than the bullet) that I assume will do the same, but can't vouch for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So.. What is the best case compromise between concussion reduction, recoil reduction, and flash suppression on an SBR, short of a suppressor?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast