Thread: AAR MVT Rifle Skills/Combat Team Tactics, 19-22 October 2017

Feedback Score

AAR MVT Rifle Skills/Combat Team Tactics, 19-22 October 2017

This is a condensed version of the full AAR on my site. During the four days, there was a lot of material covered and "ah hah!" moments learned. The major takeaway for me was that there is more to winning a firefight than being quick and accurate. Coordinating with others is a serious skill that needs to be practiced. It was a welcome expansion of my skillset.

Why Small Team Tactics?

Some years ago, I read an article that talked about the mindset of typical tactical enthusiasts (as well as preppers). In short, these individuals could learn to become very proficient in individual shooting skills, and amass large stores of supplies, but they were still individuals. Eventually, we all need sleep. In the worst case scenarios, individuals will be overrun by mobs attacking when least expected.

At some point, we have to accept that there is safety in numbers, and we will need a team.

I grew up in South Florida. I’ve lived through several powerful hurricanes, including Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, and others. We’ve all seen what happened when Katrina hit New Orleans, or what happened recently in Houston. Puerto Rico is still in rough shape from the recent storm season. I’ve lived in places with blizzards, fires, earthquakes, and other natural disasters. My prior profession also gave me unique insight into the “what ifs” of the world. After that, you come to accept that there will be situations where the veil of civility drops and you are on your own. At least for a while.

If one of my underlying goals is to protect my community, or at least my “tribe”, then it stands that I should start learning how to fight alongside them.

This is what brought me to Max Velocity Tactical.

I’ve seen Max’s articles on and off for a long time. It was his old posts that first got me rethinking my battle belt configuration. Max shares a similar background to most of the well-known tactical trainers. However, he gained notoriety through the prepper market rather than the tactical. In a way, that makes a lot of people cautious about his courses and writings. There is a negative undercurrent of “militia” training that doesn’t sit well with a lot of people. There is a definite stereotype associated with that group, and most folks in the tactical market avoid it.

That said, in talking with him during breaks, Max has been distancing himself and his school from that image. He wants to attract a more professionally-minded tactical audience, because that group is more serious. The message I noticed all during class was that this had nothing to do wth politics. In fact, I can’t recall any political comments on the part of the instructors whatsoever. Any discussion of motivation focused on teaching people a more complete tactical skillset.

The courses he offers, as well as the supporting events, are part of an ecosystem known as TacGun. This philosophy focuses on developing well-rounded citizens who with not only the ability to shoot, but the ability to function as a team. That also includes demonstrating leadership and work towards the high level of physical fitness.

Those who prove aptitude in these courses sometimes get the opportunity to act as OPFOR when US Army ODA groups come train at the MVT facility. From talking to those who have had this chance, the lessons learned and camaraderie are striking. I, for one, think that would be an awesome opportunity for anyone interested in tactics.

The Training Facility

Max Velocity Tactical (MVT) is one of the few schools in the country that will teach small unit light infantry tactics to civilians.

Max, the owner and lead instructor, is a life-long infantry soldier who “grew up” in the British Parachute regiment. He also spent time with the British Special Forces Support group. He has six deployments as both an enlisted soldier and officer. Of note, he spent a tour selecting and training recruits for the Parachute Regiment. After leaving the military, he spent five years as a government contractor for both the US and UK in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The main training facility is about 40 miles west of Winchester, VA, occupying a 100 acre wooded section of the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia. It includes a variety of ranges for training a wide breadth of skills from CQB to Combat Patrolling. Dug in pits dot the terrain. These pits include PT-61 pop-up target systems, to which Max fixes 3-D “Ivan” targets.

The terrain in much of the facility is…unforgiving. Once off of the flat ranges, the hills and trails are punishing to those who have a poor level of fitness or have elected to carry too much stuff in their kit. The terrain on the ranges themselves is uneven, with hills, roots, soft soil, and other debris often making correct positions difficult to obtain. On more than a few drills, I found myself shooting into cover in front of me rather than the target due to height over bore issues with the optic. These are the things you don’t get on a groomed 25 yard range.

The Training Course

Rifle Skills/Combat Team Tactics is a combination of two different courses spread over four days. The first two days consists of Combat Rifle Skills. The first day of which is a review of the AR-15 platform, marksmanship fundamentals, zeroing, and basic rifle handling. The second day teaches malfunction drills, reinforces the lessons of day one, and begins to teach movement and cover techniques on a square range. CRS concludes with buddy pair movement and an assault through. Historically, the first day was optional. Students could elect to start on day two, if they thought their skills were up to snuff. However, that will be changing next year. Students will be required to attend both days of CRS prior to Team Tactics. This could all be done in one four-day chunk, or on separate weekends within six months of one another.

I attended the RS day to help knock off some rust from my rifle handling. Four years of being stationed in California meant that I simply didn’t practice a lot of the carbine skills I picked up while living in Montana. The eccentricities of California firearms laws also meant I developed some awkward weapon handling habits.

The second two days, Combat Team Tactics (CTT), leaves the square range and takes place on Tactical Ranges 1 and 2. An outdoor classroom stands at the base of these ranges. CTT builds upon the foundations developed during CRS with a focus on communication, movement, cover, and safety. The end goal is to learn basic fire and movement drills as well as variations of breaking contact. It is these two days that showed me the things I didn’t know. It is one thing to read about these drills in a field manual, Ranger Handbook, or Max’s own manual, “Contact.” It’s another to understand the challenges associated with them.

The CTT course follows a crawl-walk-run method. Students are first provided a lecture and discussion of the drill about to be performed. Sometimes, when appropriate, there will be a demonstration. Then, students perform a rehearsal without weapons. Lastly, they perform the drill with live fire. Tactical Ranges 1 and 2 are essentially “Jungle Walks” where a team advances down a lane until they are “contacted” by pop up targets and the drill begins.

Pictured: Looking out from the covered outdoor classroom. Beyond is Tac Range 2. On the left are some examples of green "Ivan" targets used during training

I want to point out that safety was always a paramount focus of the instructors. From the opening drills on a square range to the jungle walk lanes, the student to instructor ratio during live fire never exceeded 2:1. The instructors made sure that safety angles, muzzle discipline, and positioning were enforced at all times. On more than one occasion, an instructor would joke with me after a drill about, “What you didn’t see was me standing behind you with a large rock if you had raised your weapon at that moment.” Luckily, I always kept safety angles in mind.

Daily Recap

Rather than go into longer explanations (check the blog for more information), here are a list of subjects covered on each day:

Day 1

• AR-15 fundamentals
    • Marksmanship fundamentals
    • Load/Unload/Reload drills and commands
    • Zeroing
    • Shooting position transitions
    • Use of cover
    • Individual movement/facing techniques
    • Offset/holdovers for close range

Day 2
    • Malfunction Clearance and Drills
    • Support side transitions
    • Buddy pair movement
    • Fundamentals of fire and maneuver
    • Assaulting through in line
    • Reacting to contact
    • Scanning and assessing

Day 3
    • Fire and maneuver over terrain
    • The use of cover in the woods
    • Team (four man) bounding overwatch (successive and alternating) with two buddy pairs
    • Breaking contact (bounding backwards and peeling)

Pictured above is one of the "jungle walk" lanes, what you cannot see are the dug in target pits with pop-up target systems

Day 4
    • Transitioning from a peel to a bound, or bound to a peel
    • Target location/communication
    • Reinforcement of all previous lessons

Personal Lessons Learned
    • It’s not about me. Once you start bringing your friends to the fight, it has a whole lot less to do with your individual speed/skill and a lot more to do with coordinating and communicating with those around you. Marksmanship absolutely matters, as only hits count, but a lot of the fancy whiz-bang stuff people attach to their weapons becomes a whole lot less important when you are keeping your rate of fire controlled and avoiding shooting from the standing as much as possible.
    • Communicate, coordinate, communicate- but do it quickly. I had a discussion with Scott (the second instructor) at the end of the whole course, and the basic feedback was that my weapon handling and maneuver mechanics were pretty good, but I was simply slow to communicate. This slowed down momentum. Still, they would prefer that a team do it correctly a bit slower than attempt to fly through and become a mess. Remembering to communicate and coordinate constantly while also trying to put shots on target is very difficult, and it simply can’t be learned from reading.
    • Lack of practice is killer when combined with even a little stress. Even though I set goals for myself for some weapon handling skills, I hadn’t actually been practicing prior to class. On the very first reload on Day 1, I ended up pulling out two pistol mags before finally grabbing the rifle mag I needed. Oops.
      The fitter you are, the better you will be able to keep your head in the game. If you’re already sucking wind after a short walk, and then make contact and start running around, you are far less effective and may even become a safety hazard.
    • Do the drills to practice the skills, but don’t let them make you stupid. Two moments stick out to me regarding this. The first happened on day three. During the first two days of square range training, the react to contact drill included firing and then taking a kneeling position to simulate getting into cover. On the jungle walk, I went stupid and actually took a knee in the open on the trail rather than darting to the side behind actual cover. The second moment involved correcting a stoppage (reload) and then taking a shot at the last known target’s location (even though it was no longer visible). I did that because the drills we had practiced for the prior two days involving stoppages ended when the rifle was fired and shown to be “back in.”
    • The more you practice correct marksmanship fundamentals, including positions, the better able you are able to improvise when conditions are less than ideal. After we left the square range, I don’t think I ever adopted a fully correct kneeling position again. The terrain just didn’t allow for it. However, I have practiced enough with understanding NPOA and bone-on-bone to make it work anyway. The target was still hit.
    • You don’t need to “hug cover.” I was corrected several times for trying to bound too far ahead of my partner and the other buddy pair. In my mind, I was simply trying to get up to the next reasonable piece of cover, be it a wide enough tree or bundle of fallen logs. The reality was that I didn’t have to be next to it for the cover to do its job. As long as it was between me and them, it was working. By bounding too far ahead, I put safety angles at risk and potentially forced my partner to have to move again. Short aggressive bounds are better.

If you would like more detail (such as more videos and a day by day breakdown), you can see them at the full AAR
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 11-01-18 at 06:32.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    This is a condensed version of the full AAR going up on my blog tomorrow...SNIP
    Outstanding AAR. That's a good read, and sounds intense. If you have those old links regarding battle belts...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boss281; 10-30-17 at 05:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boss281 View Post
    Outstanding AAR. That's a good read, and sounds intense. If you have those old links regarding battle belts...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for reading. The full AAR going up tomorrow morning will have a lot more details for each day (I was pretty sure nobody around here wanted to read 4800 words in a forum post).

As far as his posts on battle belts, the philosophy evolved over time.

The original one that got me thinking differently was here: https://maxvelocitytactical.com/2013...elt-evolution/

The most recent iteration was two years ago, and is the one I saw him using during the course: https://maxvelocitytactical.com/2015...e-battle-belt/

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks for the comprehensive AAR.

Feedback Score
    The full AAR has been posted. The OP was updated as well, but the complete AAR is available here: https://everydaymarksman.wordpress.c...-october-2017/

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Great AAR, thank you for taking the time to put this together!
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit