Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite phone as comms during disaster

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Getting caught in that situation isn’t a concern for me. Getting my license and establishing my network is a concern and why I feel I need to pick it back up again. But yah, shtf? The FCC will be my lay concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    During a disaster situation what's the probability of being caught and or problem
    With Operating ham, vhf, uhf comms without a license?
    Not really a concern in most cases. HF, depending on the nature of the disaster, could be an issue. Just don't talk on business frequencies. Place an order bootlegging on the McDougals intercom frequency. Don't mess with anything aviation related.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Getting caught in that situation isn’t a concern for me. Getting my license and establishing my network is a concern and why I feel I need to pick it back up again. But yah, shtf? The FCC will be my lay concern.
    That's the real thing to consider. If you don't use the gear, understand prop and antennas, etc, then it most likely won't work when you need it to.

I learned this in buckets working with comms folks at an EOC in Katrina. They had HF/winlink2k/pactor gear they did not know how to use, did not have the software, etc. (which was the best way to do email over HF at the time). Left that disaster determined to learn how to use that particular mode/gear, keep an operable station, and practice using it in field conditions. (mobile/portable antennas, etc)

I see this as more of a disaster response thing than a EOTWAWKI thing though. Which means it's both more boring and more likely to occur than most consider.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    OP

Ham radio.

/theend

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Getting short messages through as data is much more reliable, and that's a very large market now with the advent of hockey puck sized data devices.
    So, basically stuff like the Garmin/DeLorme inReach or SPOT Messenger?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great information, thanks to all.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis and tornados have the potential to destroy. Roads, homes, businesses, power, telecommunications are all vulnerable, and at risk, from being damaged or completely destroyed. A Satellite Phone at hand gives you communications access to local services, rescue operations and family and friends.

All rescue services use Satellite Phones and satellite communications to stay in touch with other aspects of the rescue operations. This can be to stay in touch with base camps and local hospitals.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I have a 3 sat phones. I will provide pros and cons for each:

Attachment 51253

From left to right is the Motorola Iridium 9505A, Kyocera Iridium and Qualcomm 1600

The Iridium satellite cluster is by far the best communication satellite ecosystems in existence. Any Iridium network phone will have global coverage. You can be in the middle of the pacific ocean and call someone in the middle of the Sahara desert. Motorola makes a really good phone, and offers a lot of accessories like docking stations, car kits, home kits, remote antenna's etc. Iridium network voice and data plans are not cheap and the plans themselves have expiration dates. You can buy a pre paid sim card with 20 minutes but its only good for 30 days and that can cost $75, a 20 minute pre paid sim with a 6 month shelve life can cost up to $275. Iridium offer both voice and data plans and can be used to link to internet. The 9505a is the go-to phone for US State Dept. DEA, DHS, FBI, CIA and every known drug dealer in South America. Downside is that the Iridium network cost a fortune, a voice and data plan can cost upwards to $1000/mo. Pre paid is cheaper alternative but has time limits on use.

The Qualcomm 1600 is the best bang for the buck. Qualcomm's satellite cluster is not on par with Iridium or Inmarsat but generally covers all of Central and North America, Caribbean and northern countries of South America. The choice sat phone small business, vacationers, cruise ship passengers, backpackers and hunters. Qualcomm does not have data plans but average voice plans start around $3.00 minute and are month to month, no contract. Only downside of the QUALCOMM 1600 is that the call success rate is around 60-70% whereas signal strength is affected by weather, trees, buildings etc. Must have clear view of sky to use.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Definitely an interesting thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Check out this cute, little thing: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606

I'm guessing typing out a message on it will blow, but should be fairly painless if you have your smartphone paired.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Iridium, INMARSAT, and Qualcomm all share the same features: expensive and possibly getting bumped during high-saturation crises.

HF is far cheaper and has a much higher probability for making and maintaining emergency comms at the individual level. HAMs run low-power field days annually, and the Military Amateur Radio Service (MARS) is made up of guys who LIVE for emergencies where they can help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast