Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: AR assembly techniques.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMullins View Post
    There are good reasons to build with a mil-spec. As a civilian/non-LEO, the edge being primarily legal - in that altered trigger break weight cannot be used against you as evidence that you had "intent" in altering your rifle's performance, and a moral oblige to adhere to a stiff, mil-spec break weight as a last line of defense against an improper shooting. Paper may not always be your target, and when it isn't, you don't want to be on the existential side of the discussion.
    If the shoot is bad is ain't gonna matter much what you used or what mods you did. If the shoot is righteous then it is righteous, no one cares accept perhaps the civil side, and that is a different situation.
    I would also request any actual case law showing that legal mods to the firearms actually were used in an actual prosecution. I have yet to see any in a righteous self defense case.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    If the shoot is bad is ain't gonna matter much what you used or what mods you did. If the shoot is righteous then it is righteous, no one cares accept perhaps the civil side, and that is a different situation.
    I would also request any actual case law showing that legal mods to the firearms actually were used in an actual prosecution. I have yet to see any in a righteous self defense case.
    I agree with you 100% on this. Idk where this idea came into people's heads about modifying the gun puts you under more scrutiny. Maybe somebody has a lighter trigger in their gun because they have arthritis, or maybe a female that doesn't have the grip strength to feel comfortable with a standard trigger pull. Lots of valid reasons for modifying your guns, on top of the fact that trumps all others, which is, it's completely legal to modify your gun!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    ...It's a gimmick.
    Using a set screw to hold the detent pin & spring in place may be a gimmick, but it's one that makes assembly and disassembly much easier.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I've never had a problem with losing or kinking the spring. For the time and effort to tap threads and trim the spring, I'd have the stock or end plate already installed. To each his own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never had a problem with losing or kinking the spring. For the time and effort to tap threads and trim the spring, I'd have the stock or end plate already installed. To each his own.
    It would be quite easily to do this during the manufacturing process. I don't know if it would save time during initial assembly. It would probably be quicker for someone who puts together dozens at a time to use a shim (as opposed to the razor blade us amateurs use) to hold the spring in place than it would be to install the shorter spring and set screw.

All that being said, it is a nice 'extra' touch if the weapon comes that way. However, as you mention - for the time and effort to tap threads and trim the spring, I'd have the stock or end plate already installed. But damn, I wax the inside of the trunk lid on my 91 Mustang.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-03-17 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    If you like this mod, Spike's pre-taps their lower for this. The up side being the threads are anodized. Not sure if any others do.

Feedback Score
    If you like this mod, Spike's pre-taps their lower for this. The up side being the threads are anodized. Not sure if any others do.
    Aero Precision does this as well.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some of us ain't so deft. I pulled an RE, forgetting about the detent spring and spent awhile hunting for it. I have one lower I installed the set screw on out of necessity and it has saved me hassling with the spring when swapping the RE as that AR evolves.

Point is, having a set screw makes more sense than not having one.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-03-17 at 13:35.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I'm tracking you, MW.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Since its somewhat relevant.

I've assembled something around 30 lowers.

The last two I did, I struggled MIGHTILY with the bolt catch roll pin.

Any hacks/tips/tricks?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast