Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What 5.56 round do you have in your AR15 rifle??

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Manuever and shoot them in the face. Thousands of savages have been tamed with green tip.

I agree 100% with ST911. I would never feel inadequate with a mag of 55gr, I'm the limiting factor in the equation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll take M193. It ain't perfect, but it works.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    LOL

Your load is nearly Identical to what I am settled on right now
    I found the bullets in bulk and the seller didn't say what brand they are, but I am pretty sure they are federal fusions, there was no published data so I had to figure out my own load from scratch.
    Federal fusion 62gr bonded soft points, and I am going back and forth from 25.7 -26gr of Tac with CCI 450 primers. I am probably going to settle on 25.7 as that gave me the best groups ( 1-1.5'' ), and with bonded soft points a little bit of velocity really doesn't make much of a difference. But nice to hear your Chrono results, I didn't think this load was cookin that hot!

Our loads are basically the same thing lol.

ETA: Thanks for sharing!
    I just looked at my load data. I use the 62gr and 64gr Federal fusion and Gold Dots that have been pulled for my hunting rounds. I settled on 25.0 gr of TAC for these with mixed brass and CCI #41 primers. I tried 25.5 grs and 26.0 grs but my groups started opening up and at the higher velocity I started having jacket separation on the bonded bullets.

I like TAC, BL-C(2) and CFE 223 for these bullets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Dead right there, 70 gr TSX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome!

Beautiful harvest man. Thank you for sharing. Looks like that TSX worked pretty darn well.
    I dig that AR too, 1x4 scopes are all I rock now a days. Is that a 16'' barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    I just looked at my load data. I use the 62gr and 64gr Federal fusion and Gold Dots that have been pulled for my hunting rounds. I settled on 25.0 gr of TAC for these with mixed brass and CCI #41 primers. I tried 25.5 grs and 26.0 grs but my groups started opening up and at the higher velocity I started having jacket separation on the bonded bullets.

I like TAC, BL-C(2) and CFE 223 for these bullets.

Interesting.
    I tested the federal fusion with 26gr of tac into some water jugs, very deep penetration and no jacket separation at all.
    I tried cfe 223, but didn't like it because it increased carbon fouling compared to other powders. It did leave no copper, but the powder residue/carbon fouling was so excessive I got very turned off from it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Awesome!

Beautiful harvest man. Thank you for sharing. Looks like that TSX worked pretty darn well.
    I dig that AR too, 1x4 scopes are all I rock now a days. Is that a 16'' barrel?
    Thanks, it's a 1-6x and a 14.5" barrel. It's taken its share of whitetail. I have a TSX load that half a dozen guys hunt with and everybody has had great success with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    A lot of people underestimate the M1 carbine...
    Amen. I'm a fan.

My first long gun was an IBM M1 Carbine that I bought in college during the AWB. For years and years it was my "go-to" gun for everything. I didn't "upgrade" to an AR until 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Who does? Very good gun but not even in the same League as an AR15... .30 Carbine balistically isn't even close to the 5.56mm. At 100 yards the 30 carbine has 600 foot pounds of energy left. A 5.56mm has about 1,000.
    The AR wins, but they ARE in the same league.

Nevermind at 100yds... that's not home defense, unless your home is a helluva lot bigger than mine.

At the muzzle .30 Carbine is almost 1,000 ft-lbs. 55gr or 62gr bullets out of a 14.5" AR barrel are making 1,150 ft-lbs or so. That's 15% more, but it's not out of the .30 Carbine's league.

Side note: subsonic 300Blackout is 500ft-lbs or so. or so, so half of .30 Carbine's energy.

OK, sorry for the sidetrack...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Amen. I'm a fan.

My first long gun was an IBM M1 Carbine that I bought in college during the AWB. For years and years it was my "go-to" gun for everything. I didn't "upgrade" to an AR until 10 years ago.

Nevermind at 100yds... that's not home defense, unless your home is a helluva lot bigger than mine.

At the muzzle .30 Carbine is almost 1,000 ft-lbs. 55gr or 62gr bullets out of a 14.5" AR barrel are making 1,150 ft-lbs or so. That's 15% more, but it's not out of the .30 Carbine's league.

Side note: subsonic 300Blackout is 500ft-lbs or so. or so, so half of .30 Carbine's energy.

I agree with you and don't even own an M1 carbine. They are very light which makes for a great home defense gun. I like Hornady Tap 2 in my home defense AR with a 2nd mag if Federal T3's if barriers come into play. Tap 2 should be enough for the home though. The .30 carbine jsp expands very well and you cannot compare it with the ammo used in the Korean war.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 11-14-17 at 23:39.

Feedback Score
    Amen. I'm a fan.

Not a sidetrack. That was a good post. Count the barrel as 16 inch and not a 14.5. Much gained there. M1 carbine is very cool but AR beats it in every facet and bad in some areas. I have heard nobody underrate the M1. It's a pistol caliber carbine for the most part and a darn good one but not close to a 16-20 inch AR.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Amen. I'm a fan.

I think when one says they aren't in the same league let's look at some things:

Capacity, reliable and affordable 30 round magazines.

Modularity. How easy is it to mount a RDS, modern sling, and light to an AR vs an M1 Carbine? What about changing sights?

Parts availability/logistics. Where can you get everything to completely keep the gun running? Compare the AR to the M1 Carbine. How many are manufacturing replacement parts?

Ammo selection is limitless for the AR but what about the M1?

This isn't a knock at the little M1. It's a great gun, ahead of its time. But there is a significant difference between the two where they aren't in the same league these days.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've only shot the M1 once or twice. It would be a much better pick than a pistol or bird gun. But if you chose it over an M4, I'd have to disagree for the exact points made by ghostly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast