Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What 5.56 round do you have in your AR15 rifle??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Again, pardon the interruption. You continue to lump the entire TAP product line together making you factually wrong. I count a total of eleven TAP part numbers between .223 and 5.56. GMX is part of the TAP product line, doesn't fragment and there's no shortage of penetration with that TAP round. Hornady says that TAP round, "Turns cover into concealment". Part number 8126N, also part of the TAP product line, is designed to upset and fragment and acts similarly to the SOST.

I do not equate gelatin testing to terminal performance but in Hornady's own testing, the 8126N penetrates 10.5", upsets within an inch and retains half it's weight when shot into bare gel. That's pretty good performance. The 8126N and a couple other fragmenting rounds have served people well over the years, it's just that this type of bullet has been eclipsed by the bonded, or barrier blind rounds of new.

I'm not defending or advocating either, it's just the lumping together of the entire TAP product line gets my OCD worked up a little. No biggie. Have a good day. Carry on.
    TAP 8126N Doesn't do what SOST does. SOST will give double the penetration and is a hotter loaded round.
    Mk318 SOSTis as good as anything. See it against humans in Iraq and deer. A good gell test can tell you a lot.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    TAP 8126N Doesn't do what SOST does. SOST will give double the penetration and is a hotter loaded round.
    Mk318 SOSTis as good as anything. See it against humans in Iraq and deer. A good gell test can tell you a lot.
    I see Hornady Tap .223 60 grain fragment and go through a car door. I always though that the lethality of the 5.56 was based on fragmentation rather than if the round tumbled. Maybe if I hit a perp in a sift area the Tap 2 would perform very good. It is not a vmax round though many have that Hirnady Vmax round in their home defense AR15. Tap 2 has about 13 inches through ballistic gel and it fragments violently. I agree through a windshield or outside I'd want my T3's or Speer gold dots. For home defense all these rounds should incapacitate and kill the bad buy. I haven't decided on what is gonna be NY surplus round for back up. Either speer gold dots or Federal Fusion. I have an AK74 and 2,500 rounds if 7N6. This round tumbled like mad. Is it more lethal than 5.56 T3's or Speer gold dots or federal fusion I don't know but for a full metal jacket round its better than green tips and xm193 in 5.56. Also the rifle stays cleaner. I don't like the ballistics if the AJ74 as it goes straight through. I know everyone is pro M4 here and I am to but some days cleaning a dirty rifle becomes a pain in the ass. I like both rifle's equally. Don't get MAD that I think the AK74 is every bit as good as a Colt LE6920 because I love both rifle's very much. I jystvthingvthe 5.45 x .39 round dies more damage. Peace!
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 11-21-17 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    I see Hornady Tap .223 60 grain fragment and go through a car door. I always though that the lethality of the 5.56 was based on fragmentation rather than if the round tumbled. Maybe if I hit a perp in a sift area the Tap 2 would perform very good. It is not a vmax round though many have that Hirnady Vmax round in their home defense AR15. Tap 2 has about 13 inches through ballistic gel and it fragments violently. I agree through a windshield or outside I'd want my T3's or Speer gold dots. For home defense all these rounds should incapacitate and kill the bad buy. I haven't decided on what is gonna be NY surplus round for back up. Either speer gold dots or Federal Fusion. I have an AK74 and 2,500 rounds if 7N6. This round tumbled like mad. Is it more lethal than 5.56 T3's or Speer gold dots or federal fusion I don't know but for a full metal jacket round its better than green tips and xm193 in 5.56. Also the rifle stays cleaner. I don't like the ballistics if the AJ74 as it goes straight through. I know everyone is pro M4 here and I am to but some days cleaning a dirty rifle becomes a pain in the ass. I like both rifle's equally. Don't get MAD that I think the AK74 is every bit as good as a Colt LE6920 because I love both rifle's very much. I jystvthingvthe 5.45 x .39 round dies more damage. Peace!
    How is the AK74 every bit as good as a Colt 6920?? That's a pretty big boast without an explanation. Is it reliability?Accuracy? ruggedness? Modularity? I am trying to understand your statement but the M4 is at another level then the 74.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you find cleaning a dirty rifle to be a pain in the ass, I think you have your guns backward. I clean my 74 every time I shoot it due to corrosive ammo. My AR gets cleaned........... eventually?

I do wish (Federal) Fusion made some 5.45 ammo.

Feedback Score
    How is the AK74 every bit as good as a Colt 6920?? That's a pretty big boast without an explanation. Is it reliability?Accuracy? ruggedness? Modularity? I am trying to understand your statement but the M4 is at another level then the 74.
    Because of the long skinny bullet when it hits something is tumbles violen. No fmj 5.56 round does this consistently. It is more reliable, rugged also. I know the AR15 is reliable but AK's go bang every time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Because of the long skinny bullet when it hits something is tumbles violen. No fmj 5.56 round does this consistently. It is more reliable, rugged also. I know the AR15 is reliable but AK's go bang every time.
    This is complete nonsense. Blanket statements are silly.

For the record, 99% of 5.45 ammo sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    This is complete nonsense. Blanket statements are silly.

For the record, 99% of 5.45 ammo sucks.

Agreed. I have used M16A2/A4 and M4 on the battlefield and have never had one fail. I would take 5.56mm any day all day over 5.45x39. The AK isn't even is the same league as a Modern Quality AR and I have and love AK's.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    OTMs out of the m4 are "long and skinny" too. And you don't have to deal with all of the downsides of the AK platform.

Next we'll be saying 4 buck out of a bird gun is best.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Agreed. I have used M16A2/A4 and M4 on the battlefield and have never had one fail. I would take 5.56mm any day all day over 5.45x39. The AK isn't even is the same league as a Modern Quality AR and I have and love AK's.
    I love my Colt AR15 and also like my AK74. The 5.45x.39 round is known for being the more lethal round. However there is not many rounds that can be bought for it. I got 2,509 rounds of 7n6 and it tumbled wickedly. M855 or xm193 doesn't do this. However we can get premium 5.56 ammo that may better 7n6 in 5.45. I love both of my guns really. Both accurate, reliable, light recoil. I don't shoot corrosive 5.45 ammo much so I don't have to clean the AK74 much.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    OTMs out of the m4 are "long and skinny" too. And you don't have to deal with all of the downsides of the AK platform.

Next we'll be saying 4 buck out of a bird gun is best.
    Yeah the 75 and 77 otm's are long and skinny. They fragment like crazy not like a vmax bullet that oenetrate's only around 8 inches or so. The otm's penetratation is pretty good. Also after 1.5 to 2 inches it s like a grenade going off.

Feedback Score
    Why are we talking about the irrelevant 5.45 anyway?

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast