Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What 5.56 round do you have in your AR15 rifle??

Feedback Score
    IMG_6279.jpg

I shot this 7 point today in Wisc. 40 yard Shot today 5.56mm MK318 MOD O SOST round. Ran 20 yards. Devastating internal damage. Through the heart and exit wound. MCX Vertus pistol 11.5 barrel
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    IMG_6279.jpg

I shot this 7 point today in Wisc. 40 yard Shot today 5.56mm MK318 MOD O SOST round. Ran 20 yards. Devastating internal damage. Through the heart and exit wound. MCX Vertus pistol 11.5 barrel
    I never went hunting. Not against it. I just buy it in the store. That 318 round I have not considered. Only soft point ammo I have is Federal T3's. I'm gonna buy 200 more of those rounds before buying gold dots and m193 for target practice.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never shot a deer at all. And I don't think you can hunt deer in AZ with 22 cal. OTM would not be my pic if I were hunting deer.
    I think you can with good results but the fragments is something I wouldn't want if I hunted. It ruins the meat and harvested metal parts is not something wished for when eaten. I'm not an expert of course on this subject.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    I never went hunting. Not against it. I just buy it in the store. That 318 round I have not considered. Only soft point ammo I have is Federal T3's. I'm gonna buy 200 more of those rounds before buying gold dots and m193 for target practice.

The SOST round is pretty equalivant to most Soft Points out there as far as damage goes.

I think you can with good results but the fragments is something I wouldn't want if I hunted. It ruins the meat and harvested metal parts is not something wished for when eaten. I'm not an expert of course on this subject.
    Amazingly, I didn't find any fragments in the deer when I dressed him out. It was through and through shot. Massive trauma to the vitals.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Amazingly, I didn't find any fragments in the deer when I dressed him out. It was through and through shot. Massive trauma to the vitals.
    Interesting as the 318 round fragments. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I have Hornady Tap 2 which may have a thinner jacket. I guess your round tumbled when it passed through the deer to cause that damage. Who knows someday I may go hunting. I know a lot of guys tend to go with bullets that hold together for hunting. I personally believe that a fragmenting around as long as its a 75 or 77 grain projectile creates a more devastating wound in humans. I got my guns for self defense against criminals. I know deer have thicker skin and are considered bigger than humans. If course it depends in the size if the deer.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 11-19-17 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Interesting as the 318 round fragments. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I have Hornady Tap 2 which may have a thinner jacket. I guess your round tumbled when it passed through the deer to cause that damage. Who knows someday I may go hunting. I know a lot of guys tend to go with bullets that hold together for hunting. I personally believe that a fragmenting around as long as its a 75 or 77 grain projectile creates a more devastating wound in humans. I got my guns for self defense against criminals. I know deer have thicker skin and are considered bigger than humans. If course it depends in the size if the deer.
    Yes it is supposed to fragment. It may have but when I dressed him out I found none. I don't think it tumbled. That's not how the SOST round works. I don't think there is a definitive best round or best weight of bullet with 223/5.56. There are many great rounds that are all good SOST, Gold Dot 55 62 75, T3, TSX, 77 OTM etc. I use GD 62 77 and Mk318 SOST. I also have T3. All very good. The Deer I shot would have went down just as well with any of the top loads. I am not a fan of Hornady TAP loads due to poor penetration and terrible through glass and doors. That's just me. I have seen police shooting reports and TAP hasn't done great. Many LE depts have moved away from TAP.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Yes it is supposed to fragment. It may have but when I dressed him out I found none. I don't think it tumbled. That's not how the SOST round works. I don't think there is a definitive best round or best weight of bullet with 223/5.56. There are many great rounds that are all good SOST, Gold Dot 55 62 75, T3, TSX, 77 OTM etc. I use GD 62 77 and Mk318 SOST. I also have T3. All very good. The Deer I shot would have went down just as well with any of the top loads. I am not a fan of Hornady TAP loads due to poor penetration and terrible through glass and doors. That's just me. I have seen police shooting reports and TAP hasn't done great. Many LE depts have moved away from TAP.
    I agree with you that there's not one superior load. I only would use Hornady Tap 2 for home defense where barriers aren't as important. Shooting through walls might be irresponsible. It depends on how many bad guys are in the house. Outside I like loads that can get through a windshield. One never knows the obstacle's that are gonna be present at any given time. I may start buying speer gold dots because óf there good reputation and lower cost. I have a AK74 and that round tumble's like mad. Hard to compare to premium 5.56 ammo. Both do their job very well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I might be too nit-picky here but... Tactical Application Police (TAP) is a product line. Not all TAP rounds are designed to fragment. Only one (8126N) of Hornady's 5.56 TAP product line are designed to fragment.

If, "many LE depts have moved away from TAP" (It would be great if you could provide a source for this information), suffice to say the cause would be more towards the trend of barrier blind ammunition than any deficiency in the 8126N. Pick the right tool for the job.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I might be too nit-picky here but... Tactical Application Police (TAP) is a product line. Not all TAP rounds are designed to fragment. Only one (8126N) of Hornady's 5.56 TAP product line are designed to fragment.

If, "many LE depts have moved away from TAP" (It would be great if you could provide a source for this information), suffice to say the cause would be more towards the trend of barrier blind ammunition than any deficiency in the 8126N. Pick the right tool for the job.
    The Hornady Tap GMX penetrates through barriers more than any other round I seen tested through windshields. I'm not sure if any other round penetrates further. Expansion wasn't as good as . T3's.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My house mags are loaded with Winchester 64gr PowerPoints

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    My house mags are loaded with Winchester 64gr PowerPoints

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    After reading through this thread I may change over to soft points. What I don't know is at close range say 5 to 15 yards will soft points expand immediately on impact or after a few inches of going into the target?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast