Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Bergara B-14 HMR?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    Sounds like a real winner for an out of the box precision gun. I need to start saving. Glass isn't cheap either.
    Here are a couple of pictures of my HMR. Since I'm new into precision shooting and don't have a lot of money, I bought a SWFA 10x42 scope and so far been pleased with it.

5-shot group at 100yrds. Hornady 120gr ELD Match.
    Last edited by BMWguy206; 11-05-17 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Basically bought mine on a whim based on the comments of some of my friends with them.I figure for the $2300 I have in the entire rifle/scope/ring setup it would be really hard to do better.I'm planning on stretching it out here pretty soon but I have no regrets from buying it.

5 shot group with roughly 30 rounds down the barrel
    Last edited by 03scgt; 11-09-17 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    ^ what he said.
    Heres a nice write up for your consideration: https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hyb...r-full-review/
    fit and finish IMO is better than Savage and Ruger.
    Based on my understanding, limited handling (haven't had an opportunity to put some rounds through it) and limited reading up on it, I think it's not so much a "R700 clone" but a R700 that has been "improved". Can't remember where I read the comparison between the 2, but it had a nice breakdown of the differences. My take away was that the HMR has a Sako-like bolt on a R700 action and the key is the barrel since Bergara has some very precise barrels (being their main industry contribution).

For the price point, it's very tempting to me instead of sinking cash into a R700 to get it up to the features and supposed accuracy of the HMR. I did like the stock right off the bat as someone discussed, and the bolt was very clean and smooth.

I don't know, anyone who already has an HMR have any impressions or opinions based on their use? I've been looking at an HMR to get into the long range piece just as the OP.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunMiddie View Post
    Based on my understanding, limited handling (haven't had an opportunity to put some rounds through it) and limited reading up on it, I think it's not so much a "R700 clone" but a R700 that has been "improved". Can't remember where I read the comparison between the 2, but it had a nice breakdown of the differences. My take away was that the HMR has a Sako-like bolt on a R700 action and the key is the barrel since Bergara has some very precise barrels (being their main industry contribution).

For the price point, it's very tempting to me instead of sinking cash into a R700 to get it up to the features and supposed accuracy of the HMR. I did like the stock right off the bat as someone discussed, and the bolt was very clean and smooth.

I don't know, anyone who already has an HMR have any impressions or opinions based on their use? I've been looking at an HMR to get into the long range piece just as the OP.
    Wish I could give an answer that you're looking for but I've only owned my HMR 6.5CM for a couple of months and took it out to the range twice. I really like how smooth the action is and the feel of the stock. I'm new into precision range shooting so I am learning a lot and playing with ballistic calculators such as the StrelokPro and BallisticARC. Hitting steel targets at 600 yards is not a problem and I'm looking forward to taking a Sniper Level 1 course in January with it where we can shoot out to 1,000+ yards.

I do recommend to get one. If you have Facebook, join the Bergara Shooter's group.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read a thread over on Snipershide that had a precision rifle instructor talking about failures he has seen with the Bergara line. His biggest complaint was that there was no recoil lug on the scope bases which make the base screws take all of the recoil forces. He said he has seen multiple bases break off during training.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is there a fix?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I read a thread over on Snipershide that had a precision rifle instructor talking about failures he has seen with the Bergara line. His biggest complaint was that there was no recoil lug on the scope bases which make the base screws take all of the recoil forces. He said he has seen multiple bases break off during training.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is there a fix?
    Well, my scope base is a Nightforce steel scope base with a recoil lug. I think he could be referring to the LRP models that come with a scope base from the factory which I don't think have a recoil lug. If I bought a LRP and the included base didn't come with a recoil lug, I'd remove it and simply just buy a scope base that does have an internal recoil lug.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Well, just heard from a reliable source that Bergara is going to introduce a HMR Pro model at the 2018 SHOT Show. No details yet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post
    Well, just heard from a reliable source that Bergara is going to introduce a HMR Pro model at the 2018 SHOT Show. No details yet.
    Ooooooooo.... if it has a 24 or 26 inch barrel in 6.5 CM I’m sold.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’m also going to snag one of these as soon as I can find one in stock somewhere. They must be catching on because it’s been impossible to find anyone with a 6.5 in the last couple weeks.

I probably will also start with something from vortex or SWFA as I haven’t done any bolt gun shooting in years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    So the Bergara is a Remington 700 clone? First I've heard of this. Does that mean parts interchange with the Remington 700?

Parts are some what interchangeable. I have a BMP B14 and it needed a new barrel, factory one didn’t last 1000 rounds. They use a cone style bolt instead of a standard 700 style bolt. And a PTG bolt won’t work with that action without modifying “ramp” at the back of the bolt. But the receiver does have the 1-1/16-16 threads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast