Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol for HD setup and suggestions

Feedback Score

AR Pistol for HD setup and suggestions

So I think that the AR pistol is one of the better options for HD option, I still think a standard 16" AR is great and the shotguns have a role too. But I want to discuss how I set up an AR pistol for my Dad for home defense and what others think are important to have for a HD set up.

I feel that the following are important
    A. Weapon light
    B. Sling
    C. Red dot
    D. Flash Hider not muzzle break
    E. Self defense ammo not green tip
    F. Iron sights, preferably fixed front or at least front always flipped up
    Last edited by ExplorinInTheWoods; 10-31-17 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    Light, Red dot and back up sights are key.

A sling would be great for control. Hearing protection would be important, too.

Last, but not least, practice time for handling, failure drills and marksmanship are also important.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Feedback Score
    I have the sling for keeping the gun with me in the instance of a scuffle, I prefer two point slings but on this I went with a single point for the ability to transition to non dominant hand if need be. I agree 100% time for handling and training with are the most important. Having a set of electronic ear pro (sound amplifying kind) setting on the gun would be another great thing to have.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

AR Pistol for HD setup and suggestions

It’s a better option compared to a golf club or a baseball bat but not compared to a Glock or a shotgun IMO. Unless your dad is preparing for the zombie apocalypse an AR over complicates things. But better than nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bababoris; 11-02-17 at 05:04.

Feedback Score
    I would like to hear your reasoning why you think it's more complicated? He's an old macv sog guy and worked at colt for a while and faxon firearms for a period as well so he's very familiar with an AR. Unfortunately my old man is in hospice with cancer. He wasn't supposed to last more than 3 years when he was diagnosed back in 08.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    I would like to hear your reasoning why you think it's more complicated? He's an old macv sog guy and worked at colt for a while and faxon firearms for a period as well so he's very familiar with an AR. Unfortunately my old man is in hospice with cancer. He wasn't supposed to last more than 3 years when he was diagnosed back in 08.
    You didn’t state your old man’s experience in the beginning. I expect a SOG vet could give advice, not need it from anyone here.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    You didn’t state your old man’s experience in the beginning. I expect a SOG vet could give advice, not need it from anyone here.
    I agree. He’s not your average senior citizen which is what I assumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Fair enough, I built that for him back in July and decided to do video and thread while I'm on leave with him. But do you guys have anything that I did not cover for a HD gun, do you guys have a preference on ammo do you think a 16" AR would be better? I'm talking strictly a house not a house plus a few acres with it.
    Last edited by ExplorinInTheWoods; 11-02-17 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like a suppressor for HD. Its still going to be loud , especially considering it will be indoors.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I agree. I have a silencer tech thread on can that I could put on. I'm wanting to get a surefire 300 sps and a socom 556. Being in the military makes it kind of difficult for me since it's like am I even going to be in the same place long enough to pick it up when it's out of nfa jail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast