Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 70 vs 62 tsx for deer

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Lonestar Accuracy sells the brown tip but only in larger quantities than I usually purchase. they can't officially call it brown tip as they were not selected for the contract, but as far as I know it is the same animal. IIRC, they sell to military, government and select other clients.
    http://www.lonestaraccuracy.com/
    FWIW, I understand Barnes VorTx 70gr to be similar velocity to the BT. I've done further testing with the 70gr GMX current production stuff though, and really, I'm starting to like it a lot. A few changes occurred.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    FWIW, I understand Barnes VorTx 70gr to be similar velocity to the BT. I've done further testing with the 70gr GMX current production stuff though, and really, I'm starting to like it a lot. A few changes occurred.
    I saw your pic where it stopped shedding petals but does it still have the problem of opening slowly? I like the concept of a gilding metal jacket causing less fouling but that should be secondary to performance.

It would be great if someone made a bullet thats guilding metal on the outside but the inside is soft gooey pure copper.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-31-18 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    These bullets are specifically listed in the "Best Choices for Self-Defense Ammo" post tacked at the top of the page. I assume you read that post but just missed that section? It should also state that there is no need to go to a heavier weight bullet since these do no fragment. 62 is heavy enough, and 55 (or 53 I think) is just fine. 1:9 barrels will not be able to stabilize the 70gr anyway.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I saw your pic where it stopped shedding petals but does it still have the problem of opening slowly? I like the concept of a gilding metal jacket causing less fouling but that should be secondary to performance.

It would be great if someone made a bullet thats guilding metal on the outside but the inside is soft gooey pure copper.
    The gel I've seen shows that this is not an issue, objectively, with neck lengths of 0 to 0.5" and depth to maximum cavity less than with tsx even in some cases. Subjectively, it blew the first few milk jugs up very graphically. Caps flew many feet into the air. It made a loud "whap!" I was sufficiently impressed.

At about 2700 to 2800 it begins to shed, and so I recommend it in 14.5 or shorter, or for long distance. I am working on getting the actual BC doped. From what I gather the expansion floor is 1700 to 2000. I wish I had more precise data
    Last edited by WS6; 07-31-18 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    These bullets are specifically listed in the "Best Choices for Self-Defense Ammo" post tacked at the top of the page. I assume you read that post but just missed that section? It should also state that there is no need to go to a heavier weight bullet since these do no fragment. 62 is heavy enough, and 55 (or 53 I think) is just fine. 1:9 barrels will not be able to stabilize the 70gr anyway.
    Anecdotaly, 70gr projectiles (brown tip) work well.

Edit: (1:7 is my only experience with this projectile)

2021 edit: 1:8 has worked for me since then, in one 16” barrel
    Last edited by 1168; 06-02-21 at 16:15. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    1:9 barrels will not be able to stabilize the 70gr anyway.
    Is that so.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Is that so.
    Per all the testing I've seen, it is. Here is a group Molon fired with a 1/9 barrel.

As I posted previously in this thread, a barrel with a 1:9” twist theoretically will not stabilize the 70 grain TSX. I put the theory to test using a Colt 16” HBAR with a 1:9” twist.

I fired a 10-shot group of the 70 grain TSX round at a distance of 100 yards using the 1:9” twist barrel. Accuracy was terrible; the group had an extreme spread of over 3 inches. Several of the bullet holes were slightly oblong in shape and a coulple of the bullet holes were clearly “key-holed” demonstrating that a 1:9” twist barrel will indeed not stabilize the 70 grain TSX.
    -user: Molon

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...s-70-Grain-TSX

Feedback Score
    I have had excellent results with the 62gr Federal Fusion out of both my 1-9" 20" barrel and my 1-7 16" barrel. Have put down 6 hogs and 2 does. All dropped where they were shot or went less than 20 yards with very good penetration and expansion. These are Suwanee river pigs ranging from 120 to 340 pounds so far.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345