Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 70 vs 62 tsx for deer

Feedback Score

70 vs 62 tsx for deer

Hello all. I am using my BCM MK12 mod 4x for deer this year. Right now I'm sighted in with some federal fusion 62 grain that are sub moa in the rifle but I just had an order come in with the Barnes. I have a few boxes each of Barnes vor tx 5.56 in 62 and 70 grain. If the 1:8 barrel stabilizes both and both are similar in accuracy, is there any benefit to one or the other weight bullets in a less than 225 yard shot?
    Last edited by Mainelymark; 11-01-17 at 09:55. Reason: Typed wrong number

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Reasonable to assume better/more penetration with the 70's.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Velocity constantly diminishes but bullet weight remains the same. For such a small cartridge, I would stick with the 70 grain- especially for a less-than-desirable shot angle.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In a hunting scenario as you describe- I'd take more penetration over an inch or two less drop at 225 yds.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I know people who kill lots of things with the 70gr bullet and have also used the 62. The consensus is that the 70gr is much more dramatic. It's something that numbers/gel/paper don't express, but that they have seen in the field hundreds of times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainelymark View Post
    Thanks ws6. I hope they group well
    I get around 1.5-1.6" 10 shot groups using the military loading from a 16.1" CHF Chrome-lined freefloated barrel and a 4x nightforce. The /mil load shuffles them through the muzzle at around 2900 fps by my chronograph. They like dah speed, those TSX's!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Hello all. I am using my BCM MK12 mod 4x for deer this year. Right now I'm sighted in with some federal fusion 62 grain that are sub moa in the rifle but I just had an order come in with the Barnes. I have a few boxes each of Barnes vor tx 5.56 in 62 and 70 grain. If the 1:8 barrel stabilizes both and both are similar in accuracy, is there any benefit to one or the other weight bullets in a less than 225 yard shot?
    I killed a doe last year with a 1/8 Rainer arms barrel. Using a 75 grain gold dot.

It did the job no problem.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

62 grain TSX vs 62 grain Fusion

Hey fellas. I tried some vor-tx 70 grain and 62 grain in my bcm mk12. The 70 grainers are grouping just over 1.675". The 62 at .75" (shot from a wiggly sawhorse with tiny Walmart sandbags) I'm gonna stick with the 62. My rifle likes the Federal fusion 62's (.675 moa). Between the TSX and the fusion, which would be better for deer and why? Thanks fellas.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I really doubt you're going to see much of a difference in terminal effect between the two. There might be a slim margin as far as one expanding more reliably and one penetrating a little deeper more reliably, but that'd be about it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Hey fellas. I tried some vor-tx 70 grain and 62 grain in my bcm mk12. The 70 grainers are grouping just over 1.675". The 62 at .75" (shot from a wiggly sawhorse with tiny Walmart sandbags) I'm gonna stick with the 62. My rifle likes the Federal fusion 62's (.675 moa). Between the TSX and the fusion, which would be better for deer and why? Thanks fellas.
    Federal Fusion due to cost.
    Terminal effects with your use of either should be a near wash.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    While statistically insignificant, if not irrelevant- my "lone whitetail with a 5.56" as follows:

Last year I was instructed by mama san to bring home a meat doe. I wanted to use the latest AR build.
    The carbine was dialed in with 64 gr. G.D., which was crazy accurate, just under an inch/5 shots at 100.

A group of does filtered into an alfalfa field at first light.
    I locked on the largest, range was 160 yds.+.
    The doe was quartering towards me. I shot from my knee, knew the shot was good.
    The doe took off and ran for 130 yds. I was in disbelief as I knew the shot was sound and heard the characteristic "thwock".

When I got to the doe I saw no blood, none.
    I looked closely, turning her over, still nothing- until I noticed blood coming from her mouth.
    When I field dressed the doe I found the shot had gone within 1.5" of POA. The near lung, top of heart and offside lung were destroyed.
    The deer was obviously dead on her feet but didn't know it.
    Frankly I was unimpressed. Had the deer been in the tall grass of the hillside I may have never found her- with zero bloodtrail.
    Had that been "muy grande", the buck of a lifetime, I may well have lost him.

Will 5.56 kill a deer? Hell yes.
    Is it a reliable "stopper"? Not from this experience.
    Will I shoot a deer with a 5.56 again? I've learned to- never say never, but not this year. I'm using a 300 Blk.

Entry wound just above near shoulder/base of neck.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast