Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 70 vs 62 tsx for deer

Feedback Score

70 vs 62 tsx for deer

Been using the 70 grain TSX and the 50 grain Optimized Black Hills 5.56 for bears and bucks a lot this year on the ranch. From 14.5” and 16” barrels. Both work well on head and neck shots. But, the 70 does give us an edge on less than perfect angles

We done several this year with no complaints...
    Last edited by Send it...; 11-07-17 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I’ve came to the conclusion that there is no perfect .224 bullet for deer hunting, but I do believe the 70 grain tsx is the best thing out there right now.
    I have been using it to fill my freezer for the past 8-9 years.
    That being said, the blood trails are usually minimal at best, sometimes non existent. It will do the job, and in my opinion it does it quite well, especially when you take into consideration the size of the bullet compared to the more traditional rounds out there.

Feedback Score
    I shot a buck a few days ago. 220 yds quartering towards. 62 grain vor-tx. Hit where I aimed. Bullet took out right lung and liver then entered stomach where I believed it stopped. The deer ran 50 yds and stopped at 200 yds. I shot him in the neck to drop him.
    Tiny entrance wounds (expected). No exit wounds. No blood trail. I've shot deer with 30 cal bullets and had no blood for 50 yds, but given the lack of exit wound and size of entrance the blood trail would have been minimal at best.
    I'll try the 5.56 in the future but will keep it under 150yds / broadside or neck shots. IMG_2057.jpg

Feedback Score
    I have the 55 grain TSX in reserve for if I ever want to do hunting with one of my 5.56 rifles, although that would probably be for small or medium sized hogs and not deer. I have not used that load for that purpose, but it seems to get very strong reviews for hogs and deer. So, I tend to think that pretty much all of the TSX bullets will work well in terms of killing medium game.

That said, if a blood trail is the chief concern, I think any small caliber like this is always going to be less than ideal. My two cents is that creating a blood trail is always going to be a crap shoot, with the most reliable factor being the ability to drill a big @$$ hole through the animal (and a .22 cartridge is not well-suited for that). That is not to say that it won't work in many cases, but I just don't see how it could be expected compare to, say, a 300 grain 50 caliber projectile from my muzzle loader.

Feedback Score
    I hear you. I didn't expect good blood from the entrance wound. I was hoping for a decent sized exit wound but with the angle of the shot the bullet stayed inside the deer. The neck shot had no exit either (obviously). I'm looking at a Grendel in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainelymark View Post
    I hear you. I didn't expect good blood from the entrance wound. I was hoping for a decent sized exit wound but with the angle of the shot the bullet stayed inside the deer. The neck shot had no exit either (obviously). I'm looking at a Grendel in the future.
    It's funny how we are talking about optimized tsx bullets that have been tested endlessly through ballistic gels, chronographs, etc. and engineered and re-engineered with any and all materials that planet earth offers, but in a lot of ways, once you've gotten to the point of the deer walking in front of your line of sight and the rifle is locked and loaded, none of that is going to beat 1820's technology. A decent hit is going to do a better job than most modern calibers of putting the animal down quickly, not ruining a lot of meat, and creating a blood trail. I still marvel that of all the guns I have, none is nearly as versatile for hunting as my 50 caliber muzzle loader, which is the *only* one that I could use to hunt certain game, like brown bear.

... of course when you talk about effective range, sighting in the rifle, lugging all the heavy tools and materials, keeping your propellant dry, having to clean it every time you shoot it, and loading a follow up shot, you see a few improvements since 1820.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    So, I’m thinking about switching from Fusion MSR for hunting. Mainly because its the only .223 pressure ammo I stock. 62 or 70 grain TSX bullets are what I think I want. What brand loads these the hottest for 5.56 in a 14.5 in barrel? I am familiar with “brown tip” but no longer have access to it. I think it would be optimal for deer and hogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    So, I’m thinking about switching from Fusion MSR for hunting. Mainly because its the only .223 pressure ammo I stock. 62 or 70 grain TSX bullets are what I think I want. What brand loads these the hottest for 5.56 in a 14.5 in barrel? I am familiar with “brown tip” but no longer have access to it. I think it would be optimal for deer and hogs.
    Not 5.56 but it is 62 gr TSX,

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=757

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Black Hills has a 5.56 version. 3000 fps out of their test barrel.
    Barnes has a 5.56 version. 2850 fps out their test barrel.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Black Hills has a 5.56 version. 3000 fps out of their test barrel.
    Barnes has a 5.56 version. 2850 fps out their test barrel.
    I think Black Hills only sells 70gr with the GMX bullet to civvies. I don’t really know a lot about that bullet, have to do some reading to find out if its “just as good” as the TSX.

The Barnes loading could be what I am looking for, I just found some velocities on TOS, and it appears to be proper 5.56.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast