Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 70 vs 62 tsx for deer

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I think Black Hills only sells 70gr with the GMX bullet to civvies. I don’t really know a lot about that bullet, have to do some reading to find out if its “just as good” as the TSX.

The Barnes loading could be what I am looking for, I just found some velocities on TOS, and it appears to be proper 5.56.
    They have a 5.56 62gr TSX loading. Available to all. I just bought a box from Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...rod103293.aspx
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    All of the deer I’ve shot with the 5.56 have exhibited the same response. Dead on their feet, but able to cover varying distances without leaving a blood trail. It’s just a function of the small hole and elasticity of their hide. They’ll die, but aren’t in a hurry to do so. The 70 TSX is able to make spine shots successfully, though. No tracking needed at that point, but a follow up shot may be.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    They have a 5.56 62gr TSX loading. Available to all. I just bought a box from Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...rod103293.aspx
    My wording was not clear. I’m aware of the Black hills 62gr TSX. What I’m not seeing on Black Hills website is 70gr TSX. They market 70gr GMX instead. If I’m not mistaken, “brown tip” is a Black Hills loaded 70gr TSX, which may be a DoD only thing.
    Last edited by 1168; 04-06-18 at 19:25.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentimber View Post
    All of the deer I’ve shot with the 5.56 have exhibited the same response. Dead on their feet, but able to cover varying distances without leaving a blood trail. It’s just a function of the small hole and elasticity of their hide. They’ll die, but aren’t in a hurry to do so. The 70 TSX is able to make spine shots successfully, though. No tracking needed at that point, but a follow up shot may be.
    My buddy shot a deer with 75gr gold dot (heart and lung) and it left a blood trail Ray Charles could follow if he didn't slip and fall in it. Same friend used Browntip I gave him a few years back, same shot. He preferred the gold dot by a large margin.

The one I shot with ra556b was as you state. A few drops at the site, and 10 feet away, then nothing until the body.
    Last edited by WS6; 06-24-18 at 00:54.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My wording was not clear. I’m aware of the Black hills 62gr TSX. What I’m not seeing on Black Hills website is 70gr TSX. They market 70gr GMX instead. If I’m not mistaken, “brown tip” is a Black Hills loaded 70gr TSX, which may be a DoD only thing.
    No comment.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Only personal experience is with the 70 grain. 2 different deer. 1 shot each. Both bullets went completely through the deer and performed well. I can't imagine there would be much difference in the 62gr.

Feedback Score
    I plan on using 75gr Gold Dot in my BCM for deer this year.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    No comment.
    You sly fox, you.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    So, I’m thinking about switching from Fusion MSR for hunting. Mainly because its the only .223 pressure ammo I stock. 62 or 70 grain TSX bullets are what I think I want. What brand loads these the hottest for 5.56 in a 14.5 in barrel? I am familiar with “brown tip” but no longer have access to it. I think it would be optimal for deer and hogs.
    Lonestar Accuracy sells the brown tip but only in larger quantities than I usually purchase. they can't officially call it brown tip as they were not selected for the contract, but as far as I know it is the same animal. IIRC, they sell to military, government and select other clients.
    http://www.lonestaraccuracy.com/
    Last edited by rocsteady; 07-31-18 at 06:24.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Lonestar Accuracy sells the brown tip but only in larger quantities than I usually purchase. they can't officially call it brown tip as they were not selected for the contract, but as far as I know it is the same animal. IIRC, they sell to military, government and select other clients.
    http://www.lonestaraccuracy.com/
    Thanks.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast