Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My friend wants to get into to reloading and keeps asking me for advice...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    My friend has been asking me for advice for the past few weeks, he has 0 experience and has no idea how to get started. He is young, but a great guy. I have been giving him the best advice I can, but he doesn't seem to be listening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Anyway, I guess what I am asking is should I keep trying to help, or should I just let him learn on his own? ... I'm also worried he is going to blow something up.

First, don't ever shoot any of his reloads...

Seriously, your "friend" isn't your friend and isn't "great" if he can't/won't listen to you.

I learned from my girlfriend's father, and he was ex-mil and a no-nonsense engineer. I was in college (this is 20+ years ago), and I didn't have any money, so I used his equipment (Dillon RL550B!) while he looked on. I was scared shitless of him, so I did whatever he told me.

So, maybe try this: Let him load ammo using your equipment. Let him provide the components, but let him use your press, scale, bullet puller, tumbler, etc. etc. etc.

Hang out with him while he's doing it, and then when he has questions or screws something up, then you'll be there to set him straight.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    He's not kin?
    You've tried. Cut him loose.
    Like Bimmer said- Don't shoot his reloads.

Let him blow up a pistol. If he knows every effing thing; let him work it out.
    He'll be back when he learns some humility, the hard way no doubt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure my concern would be the hand press (depending on what kind). A lot of safe, serviceable ammo has been cranked out with Lee hand presses. That includes using the dippers. I wouldn't even worry too much about the lack of a bench. The pic below was my "traveling" set-up. Yes, I had a scale with me as well. It just wasn't in the picture. I limit these statements to straight wall pistol cartridges.

I would be concerned about his mindset. Mentorship makes learning reloading a lot easier and much safer. Offer to be a mentor, that's about all you can do. If he doesn't see the value that brings, he is on his own.

IMAG0131.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12